0 Minute Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased Northern Brewer's Sinistral Warrior IPA extract kit. It had hop additions at 60, 15, and 0 minutes. Do I do the last addition as I turn off the heat or what? I know the times given are minutes from the end of the boil, so I'm just a little confused by exactly what a 0 minute addition means.

yep - when your boil time is done, kill the heat and add the hops.

you'll often see it referred to as a flame-out addition as well.

When I use pellet hops, I throw them in and then turn off the heat. The few seconds tumbling in the rolling boil seems to help them break up.

Just wanted to ask a quick question related to 0 minute hop additions. I just made a pro series partial mash kit called Surly's Bender from Northern Brewer, which calls for 2.5oz of Willamette at the 0 minute / flame-out. I got to the end of my boil, killed the heat and added the hops and gave it a quick stir. Then i went right over to chill the wort, which took me about 5 minutes. Now the question I have is what do people do when they transfer their wort in this circumstance to their carboy? In the past i have been using a funnel with a built in strainer to seperate out the boil materails before I fermented, but in this case with so much hops added to the wort, it imediatly clogged the filter and became such a mess that I choose to remove the filter all together and dump all the boil kettle contents into the carboy. I was concerned that if i did manage to filter out all of the hops and other stuff that the 0 minute hops would not have enough time in the wort to impart their flavor characteristics. Also I asummed i could just rack to a secondary to help clear / clean up the beer since i didn't strain anything this time around.

So is this practice appropriate?

If i did strain out the hops from the wort, would the 0 minute additions have enough time to impart their characteristics before being separated?

Regardless of whether or not it's a flameout addition, some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

My two cents: I'll only make an effort to keep hops out (strain or leave the last pint or so in my kettle) if I'm using a massive amount of hops. I'd say anything less than 4 ounces per 5 gallon batch is not that big a deal and can be easily avoided when racking.

Like Revvy said, there are lots of ways to go about it. Personally, I used to just dump all the break and hop material into the fermentor, but have since developed a preference for trying to get my wort as clean as possible, so I now use hop bags and a kettle screen.

I usually let my flameout hops steep for 10 minutes before I start chilling. But again, chilling immediately after the boil is a perfectly fine technique. Play around with different options and see what produces the best results on your system!

Thanks for all the input here. As with most of home brewing I will have to see how this batch turns out and then make the choice as to how I want to proceed next time, but all these suggestions are great!

Back