0.5 vs 2 micron stone for oxygen setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I am getting a oxygen stone to go along with my medical oxygen tank. I got a 3/4 full ME tank that has about 500 liters of oxygen in it, so I got plenty of O2 to work with. I am trying to decide between a 0.5 vs a 2 micron stone. I am going to get either with a SS wand so the only question I have is size. I know a 0.5 stone is much more efficient but I don't want to have issues every batch with a clogged stone. I plan to boil it after every use for 10 min then store in a strong mix of starsans or in vodka until I use it again. I still hear alot of people complain that their stone clogs and it seems they are using a 0.5 micron. Does anyone have any experience or imput? Thanks!:rockin:

I've been using a 0.5-Micron stone for over a year ... Still works great. As long as you keep it clean and don't handle the sintered portion, it should last you a while. I boil my stone before use, then rinse it off after use (I keep the oxygen flowing while I rinse).

do you rinse it with just normal water?

I do, while I keep the O2 running for the few seconds it takes to rinse. Then I stick it in an open sandwich bag and let it dry on its own. Next time I use it I give it a boil like dutchoven does, then set it in a dish sprayed with Star San until I'm ready to hook it up and use it.

~3 years with the same .5 micron stone, still as shiny as new and works perfectly...

Cheers!

i am beginning to see a trend here. The people that boil to sanitize then store in some safe location (tube of alcohol, star sans or in a bag) tend to not have the problems others.

Back