☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I take the same approach, preferring plain-old black coffee. Never been much of a coffee drink guy. I usually make it in a 1L press. If I'm in a hurry I have some reusable inserts for our Keurig--load up with freshly-ground and pop it in the machine. We have a Clever Dripper, but haven't used it in a while, so it sits in a kitchen cupboard.
I tried several reusable Kuerig devices and never got a cup of coffee I thought was remotely good. I sold my Kuerig machine 4 years ago so maybe the reusables are better now.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I tried several reusable Kuerig devices and never got a cup of coffee I thought was remotely good. I sold my Kuerig machine 4 years ago so maybe the reusables are better now.

To me it's good but not great. You were probably spot-on, as there aren't many variables you can work with on a Keurig. I just use it for my morning joe. Pressed or pour-over coffee is much better, especially with a fresh grind of good home-roasted.

The trouble with the Keurig reusables is that it barely holds enough coffee to yield anything more than an 8oz cup. I can fit maybe 15g coffee into one, which, at the 1g/16ml ratio I like means no big cups. If I want to fill up a big yeti mug for the road I need to run it twice.

Edit: These are the reusables I have. But they're probably not much different than the ones you used.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
524294E8-F7E0-4C7B-A71A-8DC28EEEFF25.png
I know I tossed this idea out few weeks (maybe months ago) about some people trying to buy the same bean and report back tasting notes. Maybe even roasting notes too.
Do any of these tickle anyones fancy? It’s todays email from Sweet Maria’s.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw the email too. It does sound good.

I am over my limit already, but last year I almost ran out of dry processed Ethiopian so I bought some anyways. How fast things disappear from sweet maria's you need to buy when you see it or might be too late.

I did buy some of the Mexican and the dry processed Honduran coffee you posted a little while back. I have not roasted any of it yet, I will do those on my next roast in about a week.

I would be open to trying to purchase the same coffee and share roast notes. I think the hardest part would be getting things coordinated unless we did something like the royal jewels type things. I missed out the royal jewel coffee before mostly because I prefer to buy only a few pounds of particular coffee vs 5 or 10lbs. I roast mostly Central American coffee and Ethiopian, might be easier to do a Central American coffee if people were to the buy coffee direct vs how the crown jewel was done in the past.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you on the Central America and Ethiopia coffees. Those seem to work the best for me. Just finished a 10 lb. lot of Ethiopia a few weeks ago, it was one of my favorites.

Always had good luck with Guatemalan, too.

Just started into some El Salvador, first time. These beans go through development phase real fast--didn't expect that. I usually go about 20% development time, but with these it ended up well into med roast at 20%, farther than I wanted to go. A bit too roasty. Will back off to maybe 16-18% next batch.