’Artificial’ Sweetness on Back End of Beer - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ncangey0514

Reaction score
I’ve brewed two beers recently, one of which was an amber extract brewing recipe kit from Northern Brewer and the other of which was an all grain BIAB New England IPA. OG/FG were fine and when I tasted my NE IPA out of the fermentor it was delcious and super hazy (with a strong hop burn from DDH) but out of the bottle it has an annoyingly sweet, artificial taste right on the back end (and lost most of its haze, which is a separate issue that I know a lot of folks have). My amber had the same sweet taste except much more pronounced. I used city water for the first batch and distilled water for the second & built my water profile so that can’t be it and since I tasted it only AFTER bottling my NE I figured it has to be something happening during or after bottling. The NB recipe came with a measured amount of priming sugar to use & for my NE I followed online guidance. I also use StarSan for all of my sanitizing. Does anybody have any clue? I consulted the common off flavor guide from HTB and I’m just not sure if any of those are right. I have another batch in the fermentor now and I am trying to do everything to keep that flavor out of it! Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions at all!

how long has it been in the bottle? sounds like it may need to condition for a bit longer.

Waited 4 weeks to try the first batch, even after 2 months it’s still sweet. Second batch had been 15 days since it’s a NE and can’t really afford to let it sit too long or it’ll lose its luster.

Back