Another one of those "I think I messed up" threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've had Yooper's Oatmeal Stout in the fermenter for 5 weeks and today was finally bottling day. Because the beer only got down to 1.023 I did back off on the amount of corn sugar for bottling, which may be important to this story.

I had about 2/3 of it transferred to the bottling bucket when all of a sudden my auto-siphon stops and nothing I can do can get it going again.

Mistake #1 - Well, I'll just bottle a smaller batch. After filling about a dozen bottles I think hey, wait a minute, I'll just carefully pour the rest in from the fermenter into the bottling bucket. So I do that and now I have my 5 gallons. Cool, press on.

When I finished bottling it all I finally stop and think, and it hit me, oh crap, the first dozen bottles will contain too much of the sugar, and I'm now fearing bottle bombs. I'm guessing the remainder will likely be slightly under-carbed since proportionally too much of the sugar went into the first few bottles. I marked the caps from each of the two groups so I can tell them apart.

I've got them all boxed up and sitting in the spare bedroom shower. Door closed. But I'm going to have to move them into a closet on Thursday since we're having overnight company.

While I was cleaning up I rinsed off my auto-siphon and tried to siphon water from one bucket to another, Worked fine!! WTF happened? Not really sure, but I'm guessing I might have pulled some trub that clogged it up. I guess I panicked.

If nothing explodes I'm going to open one from each group two weeks in just to get a feel for what I'm working with.

Oh, one last thing....the gravity sample I pulled tasted really good.

I would venture to say that you'll be fine. They may be slightly overcarbed, but I highly doubt you'll have bottle bombs. Assuming you carbed to a stout (~2.1 vols CO2) to begin with then you may be sitting at 2.4-2.5vols. TBut that is just a guess considering that you did end up topping off with the rest of the stout that was in the fermenter. I would still pop open a bottle in 2 weeks because, beer. But I wouldnt worry too much about it

For safe keeping i would put the potentially overcarbed ones in a rubbermaid tote or cooler. Makes cleanup easier.

Back