New to cider making - have I done it wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adburns

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggest, I'm new to home brew cider making and I'm wondering if I have done it wrong!

After pressing the apples I added some campden powder to kill any bad yeast I then added some cider yeast about 36 hours later.

I then sealed the fermentation tub and the cider has been fermenting (I hope) for around 10 days. It has quite a strong egg smell coming from it, although I read this can be normal?

My main concerns are that there doesn't seem to be any bubbles coming from the airlock. I didn't add any sugar at the start and i'm wondering if this is the problem. Should I have done this?

Hopefully I haven't completely ruined it :(

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi,

It has quite a strong egg smell coming from it and I didn't add any sugar at the start

Thanks

These two statements worry me I have expereince in wine making although not much lol but a fowl smell like that could spell contamination and no sugar will result in low alchol, what yeast did you use

I'm afraid I didn't keep the packet. It was from a local home brew shop. I could probably find out.

Would it be too late to add the sugar now?

what was your starting gravity? I just started a cider that was at 1.052 so I did not add any sugar because I didn't want it any stronger. yeast type would help, many types of yeast produce a sulfur smell that will dissipate as the fermentation process completes.

Search for "rhino farts" on this site. That is what you are experiencing. It is normal for the yeast to give off sulfur if it is stressed.

Some people will say that you should add yeast nutrient to prevent the rhino farts.

Some people routinely make excellent cider without added nutrients. It all depends on your preference.

Cider requires a lot more patience than does beer making. If you give it plenty of time in primary fermentation (one or two months), then rack it off the lees and transfer to an aging vessel (preferably glass) with little to no headspace for oxygen, then the sulfur smell will go away.

I would not add sugar. Typically apple must is around 1.045 - 1.05 gravity. This will yield 6% to 7% ABV, which in my opinion is not low for cider.

Patience. Apple must and yeast.... it's a recipe that has worked for centuries.

Not seeing action from the airlock does not mean the juice isn't fermenting. You could have a leak. The sulfur smell is likely an indication that it is. You can make cider without adding sugar, it will just be lower in alcohol, but it will still be cider. Actually our moderator Yooper, reccomends doing that for your first batch. It can take a long time to finish, clear, and be good to drink. Have patience and give it time. You got your yeast from a LHBS I'm supposing it is a proper yeast for your cider not bread yeast as one person has suggested.

Search for "rhino farts" on this site. That is what you are experiencing. It is normal for the yeast to give off sulfur if it is stressed.

Some people will say that you should add yeast nutrient to prevent the rhino farts.

Some people routinely make excellent cider without added nutrients. It all depends on your preference.

Cider requires a lot more patience than does beer making. If you give it plenty of time in primary fermentation (one or two months), then rack it off the lees and transfer to an aging vessel (preferably glass) with little to no headspace for oxygen, then the sulfur smell will go away.

I would not add sugar. Typically apple must is around 1.045 - 1.05 gravity. This will yield 6% to 7% ABV, which in my opinion is not low for cider.

Patience. Apple must and yeast.... it's a recipe that has worked for centuries.

+1 million. I couldn't have said this better myself.

Thanks for the replies. I guess i will give it more time.

One thing I was wondering about - i noticed that there is a 1 1/2 - 2 inch layer of sediment at the bottom of the fermentation tub, is that anything to worry about?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I guess i will give it more time.

One thing I was wondering about - i noticed that there is a 1 1/2 - 2 inch layer of sediment at the bottom of the fermentation tub, is that anything to worry about?

Thanks
That would be the lees and any pulp that has settled out during the fermentation. Perfectly normal.

Back