Clone some Hop Slice by Deschutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
I bought a case of Deschutes Hop Slice the other day at Costco and am really enjoying it. It is a session ale at 4.5%, with a summer lemon zing. Deschutes is very charitable in giving its ingredient list so I'll play around with those and see what numbers I can hit. Anybody else try this beer yet or think about building a recipe?

Deschutes "Hop Slice"

I've never before tried to develope a clone recipe but to that end, here is a start that I'm sure will need to be revised. I'm just not sure how to go about adjusting the ingredients to come close. So I could use some help if you've tried this beer. Thanks!!!

Title: Hop Slice Clone
Brew Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 68% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.51%
IBU (tinseth): 49.48
SRM (morey): 5.33

FERMENTABLES:
8.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (82.5%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (4.9%)
0.4 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (3.9%)
0.4 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (3.9%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.45
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 28.04
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.3, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.5 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Pour over to collect 7.2 gallons

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlflock, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
Some lemon needs to be worked in somewhere, I'm just not sure where!

YEAST:
White Labs - English Ale Blend WLP085
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Fermentation Temp: 63 F

I guess I'll have to wait for some of these hard working left coasters to get off the job(I'm retired). One thing I'm wondering about though...Deschutes seems to use a British yeast as their yeast of preference and I'm wondering which that might be. I'm thinking of using WLP085 for this as it seems to have a mid range attenuation and according to Brewers friend, puts my fg about where I want it.

Hop Slice is what I have been drinking for a few months now. Been working on a recipe too. I have also been thinking of using Lemon drop hops instead of the Azacca.

Hop Slice is what I have been drinking for a few months now. Been working on a recipe too. I have also been thinking of using Lemon drop hops instead of the Azacca.

I actually brewed the recipe above and it turned our great but instead of lemon extract, I used grapefruit extract. I bought a 4 oz bottle of "Brewer's Best" grapefruit extract and added half a bottle when I kegged the beer along with 2 oz of citra whole hops in a bag inside the keg. I think that was a little too much grapefruit though it was still very vastly. Next time only a quarter of a bottle for a 5 gallon batch.
Sadly, it's all gone now....

Hey Mark, it's been long time gone but it was tasty, I used grapefruit extract instead of adding some kinda lemon and that was a bit strong so I'd cut that down quite a bit. Of course that gave it a different flavor direction than hopslice but it was good. I think I must have bought one of the last cases of hopslice available cuz I can't find it anywhere. Oh well, lots of great beers to invent or duplicate...

I know it's an old thread but just tried this beer and wondered if there were any updates to the clone recipe?

The closest yeast strain that resembles the Deschutes house strain is Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale.

Deschutes is bottled conditioned? Is the yeast you can grow up from their bottles the same as the "house strain"?

Edit: Some of their beer is bottle conditioned including the Pine Drops IPA.
Some say that WL 004 "Irish Ale" is similar to the Deschutes house strain.

Deschutes is bottled conditioned? Is the yeast you can grow up from their bottles the same as the "house strain"?

Edit: Some of their beer is bottle conditioned including the Pine Drops IPA.
Some say that WL 004 "Irish Ale" is similar to the Deschutes house strain.

There is a podcast out there, I think its called "cloned or not cloned" and they interviewed one of the brewers from Dechutes on the show to get info from him. It was for Mirror Pond pale ale. That will give you some ideas.

Thanks, I listened to that years ago and made a Mirror Pond clone, but since then I forgot about it; I'll go back and listen again.

Latest posts

Back