More than a Kegs worth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arell12

Reaction score
I typically brew 5 -6 gallon batches and I keg, but the kegs only hold 5 gallons. I have been bottling the rest with carb drops, but I much prefer the beer that's been on the gas over the ones that are bottle carbed. Has anyone used a carbonation cap to quickly carb a 1 or 2L PET bottle?

I like to call the leftovers that I bottle my "special Reserve" but when I drink them, they are not so special and side by side you would think they are different beers.

Personally I would just shoot for batches that are closer to 5 gallons. That being said, when I do end up with larger batches I tend to split the batches. I'll do ~5 gallons kegged and the rest I'll try something new. Maybe age over oak or some type of fruit. Then I'll just go ahead and bottle the aged beer and use it as a tester batch to see if it's something I want to explore on a larger scale in the future

I use PET bottles with carb caps frequently. Fill about 3/4 full, no more. Pressurize to 20+ psi, shake, let settle (in fridge), and repeat until the bottle stays hard for a few hours in the fridge. Not as good as the kegged beer, but lets you get samples pretty quick. Tough to get precise carbonation, as set and forget isn't really an option. With experience, you can get a good idea of how long to shake and how many times you need to pressurize to get the carb levels you want.

Not a good idea for long term packaging, as the air in the headspace will cause oxidation over a week or two. You could purge the headspace the similar to how you purge a keg, but it's a PITA.

Brew on :mug:

Fill bottle 3/4

Squeeze bottle until liquid is just running out (no air in there now)

put carbonator cap on

attach gas - bottle will "pop" back into shape.

Proceed with shake method

No oxidizing as there is no o2 in there now

I do it all the time! I don't drink soda, but I have a few friends save me 2L soda bottles just for this purpose. It works great, and I can take that soda bottle with me out to the boat or the cabin, and have a growler of homebrew handy in a plastic bottle.

Back