New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I WP beginning at 175* and let naturally cool so it shouldn't be getting too many IBUs I'd think.

I typically whirlpool for 30 mins, last time I did an hour, 30 at 180, 30 at 160. 2x as bitter as only a 30 min whirlpool. Def pulls bitterness out

http://scottjanish.com/zero-hot-side-hopped-neipa-hplc-testing-sensory-bitterness/

This is exactly what I'm talking about! If you haven't read this, it's a very interesting read.

very interesting. i don't really get it though. i have been doing 2 oz/gal dry hop charges with no kettle hops on several of my last IPAs, and I have really had some great hop flavor and low bitterness. maybe it depends on the hops you use? i also have noticed that if i keep oxygen exposure as low as possible, i get really long-lasting awesome hop flavor, like 6 weeks and it is really super great still.

That is an interesting read. Although there are still unanswered questions I have from that article, novel points though I have also thought of that and I thought it was know that bitterness comes from dry hopping.

That is an interesting read. Although there are still unanswered questions I have from that article, novel points though I have also thought of that and I thought it was know that bitterness comes from dry hopping.

It is certainly known, from janish himself. I get plenty of bitterness in my NEIPA from only a dryhop addition. It results in a super smooth beer with just a touch of bitterness if you rely on a huge dryhop only for bittering. This post of his seems strange to me. He talks about huge bitterness and very little hop flavor. I can't believe it based upon my experience. He did use two hops that seem to dry out beers very thoroughly as well though, Citra and Amarillo. Both can lead to a very dry flavor when the dry hop levels are huge. I don't get huge bitterness out of Citra, but I do get dryness.

I just did an NEIPA with no kettle hops and 6 oz each of Denali and Eureka! The results after 6 wks in the keg is a pineapple bomb with a slight dankness that is very pleasing but less complex than the classic citra-mosaic-galaxy or citra-mosaic. More complex than 100% citra. Too much pineapple for me though. anyway, it is saturated with hop flavor and very smooth. I wonder if Janish used some hops that were particularly bitter for his dry hop or something? just don't get his results. i don't really use Amarillo though, so maybe that is it?

It is certainly known, from janish himself. I get plenty of bitterness in my NEIPA from only a dryhop addition. It results in a super smooth beer with just a touch of bitterness if you rely on a huge dryhop only for bittering. This post of his seems strange to me. He talks about huge bitterness and very little hop flavor. I can't believe it based upon my experience. He did use two hops that seem to dry out beers very thoroughly as well though, Citra and Amarillo. Both can lead to a very dry flavor when the dry hop levels are huge. I don't get huge bitterness out of Citra, but I do get dryness.

I just did an NEIPA with no kettle hops and 6 oz each of Denali and Eureka! The results after 6 wks in the keg is a pineapple bomb with a slight dankness that is very pleasing but less complex than the classic citra-mosaic-galaxy or citra-mosaic. More complex than 100% citra. Too much pineapple for me though. anyway, it is saturated with hop flavor and very smooth. I wonder if Janish used some hops that were particularly bitter for his dry hop or something? just don't get his results. i don't really use Amarillo though, so maybe that is it?

Sticky, what's OG, FG and grain bill of your recent brews?

Headroom from Trillium is dry hopped at 3 lb/bbl! A brewer friend that visited there said they use a hop rocket for dry hopping. I've never had it but heard it's amazing. I know it's a DIPA but is it super bitter? Maybe the hop rocket helps since the hops aren't sitting in the tank for the dry hop period?

Just bouncing ideas around...

Headroom from Trillium is dry hopped at 3 lb/bbl!
Last IPA I brewed had the equivalent of 4.4 lbs/barrel in dry hop. It was a recipe from a friend and it was a ridiculous amount of hops. But it had crazy aroma and tasted great.

Headroom from Trillium is dry hopped at 3 lb/bbl! A brewer friend that visited there said they use a hop rocket for dry hopping. I've never had it but heard it's amazing. I know it's a DIPA but is it super bitter? Maybe the hop rocket helps since the hops aren't sitting in the tank for the dry hop period?

Just bouncing ideas around...

Lately I've been liking
90% GW 2-row
10% GW C15
mash at 165F and mashout at 170F
100 ppm Cl and <20 SO4
Latest was 1.067 to 1.016 using Gigayeast Conan strain
No kettle hops and then 6 oz each of Denali and Eureka! dry hop around day 5 to day 10. So that is the equivalent of about 4 lbs/barrel dry hop.
Produces a very balanced beer with no sharp edges, except the hop edge!

I'm trying out WLP002 today! I'm hoping for a slightly less dry finish and lower attenuation. I'm also going to try a hopstand today though, for old time's sake!

Just finished by latest NE IPA. I decided to do a 90 minute hop stand! The resulting wort definitely has a very jammy, vegetal, canned fruit, tropical character with the Citra-Galaxy-Mosaic combo. It also definitely had a healthy dose of bitterness. I did the stand at 165F, but I use an electric element in my kettle, and it must boil up enough to extract some bitterness, OR there is just some bitterness extraction during the steep. That is the only bittering I planned (other than that from the dry hop) so it should be fine.

Now, I need to decide whether to go with my usual 2 oz/gal dry hop charge or drop that back some due to the hop stand. I think I am inclined to go with the 2 oz/gal charge and see if I can tell any difference with my usual beers.

When my 5-gallon carboys and 3 gallon kegs are free I am going to do a hop stand + dry hop vs dry hop comparison. I just need to figure out how much dry hop to use in the version that is hop standed. I could use the same total amount of hops in both batches, or I could drop back the dry hop in the hop stand + dry hop version....

7th time brewing this recipe. All Mosaic, 6.7%.

First time doing all Mosaic and I love it. Aroma is dank, pine and pineapple. Flavor is mango, dank, earth and orange. A lot going on for one hop but very well balanced. Seems deeper than Citra even though its not as pungent. I used a whirlfloc tablet just for the hell of it, and it made quite a difference. I can see the other side of the glass!

MvxHQxA.jpg

Ranking of hop combos tried to far:
1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Citra/Equinox
4) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
5) Citra
6) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (w/ Sacch Trois)
7) Nelson

that makes me thirsty.... only 3 weeks to go until i can have a beer again.

(FYI I blew out the ACL in my left knee awhile back, and just had a reconstruction done to repair it. a piece of the tendon from me knee cap drill and screwed into where the old one was)

to speed up my recovery, i decided i wouldn't drink any form of alcohol, until I've recovered to a certain point.
so I cleared out my stocks over the previous weeks, ( ithink i have a litre of octoberfest left in rigger) and now, i have 4 cases of commercial beer waiting for me ( i won a comp where i get cases of beer every month to drink/share)

but all i really want is a nice pale ale/ipa that i brewed myself... I've even got the hops for one of these brews (columbus/Galaxy/Citra/Mosaic)

7th time brewing this recipe. All Mosaic, 6.7%.

First time doing all Mosaic and I love it. Aroma is dank, pine and pineapple. Flavor is mango, dank, earth and orange. A lot going on for one hop but very well balanced. Seems deeper than Citra even though its not as pungent. I used a whirlfloc tablet just for the hell of it, and it made quite a difference. I can see the other side of the glass!

MvxHQxA.jpg

Ranking of hop combos tried to far:
1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Citra/Equinox
4) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
5) Citra
6) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (w/ Sacch Trois)
7) Nelson

The clarity of this brew might be because of Mosaic's very low total oil content. Brew it again without the whirlfloc and see what happens!

This looks great! It's very difficult to get honey malt in the UK but I've found a supplier in Ireland. This is going straight on the list after mosaic honey wheat!

So I am attempting my first NEIPA, and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on hop cominations with what I have on hand.

I have:
1 lb Citra
1lb Amarillo
1 lb Chinook
12 oz Simcoe
12 oz Columbus
2 oz Galaxy

My Hop schedule:
FWH .5 oz Chinook or Columbus
Steep 160 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra
Day 2/3 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy
Day 10 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy

Will be bottling, so I have some concerns, at about day 14/15

So I am attempting my first NEIPA, and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on hop cominations with what I have on hand.

My Hop schedule:
FWH .5 oz Chinook or Columbus
Steep 160 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra
Day 2/3 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy
Day 10 1 oz ea Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy

Will be bottling, so I have some concerns, at about day 14/15

I think that combo looks great. I think I would lean toward the columbus for the FWH addition.

@braufessor for your flameout additions are you letting the wort drop in temp naturally to 160° and whirl pooling the flameout adds for that time period or are you tossing your flameout adds in hitting the wort with your chiller for a minute or two t get to 160° and then adding your whirlpool additions?

In short how long are your flameout hops steeping before you are starting your 160° additions?

@braufessor for your flameout additions are you letting the wort drop in temp naturally to 160° and whirl pooling the flameout adds for that time period or are you tossing your flameout adds in hitting the wort with your chiller for a minute or two t get to 160° and then adding your whirlpool additions?

In short how long are your flameout hops steeping before you are starting your 160° additions?

I had asked the same thing a page or two back which braufessor replied to, so just trying to help here.

Add the flameout additions and then start to chill with your chiller about 1 minute later to 160F. Then add the next addition once at 160F.

yeah...... not long. I use an immersion chiller. turn off flame, throw in hops, get chiller going. might be 3-4 minutes (at most) from flame out until 160 degrees. Then I shut off chiller, throw in hop stand hops. Let those sit and stir them up from time to time over 20-30 minutes and chill the rest of the way. Flame out until fermenter might be 45 minutes or so.

Kegging day today for me. It finished a bit drier than I expected and I shot past my FG. It actually settled at 1.008 instead of 1.011

LHBS was out of 1318....and Conan....and 007. Picked up a pack of Notty since I want to brew this weekend and don't have time to order. Surprisingly, this entire thread only mentions Notty once, as a way to help a stalled fermentation finish.

Anyone ever tried it? Thoughts?

My 1318 only got down to 1.016. Is this too high? Beersmith nailed it estimating it at 1.016. Mashed at the temperature in the original recipe post.

My 1318 only got down to 1.016. Is this too high? Beersmith nailed it estimating it at 1.016. Mashed at the temperature in the original recipe post.

1.016 is the perfect final gravity for these types of IPAs since it leaves a little more sugar for sweetness and body.

Well, after reading this thread for the past week I did something I probably should not have. I brewed a dank ipa using Apollo, Columbus, and Simcoe this past weekend. Im on day 5 with 1056 and I still have a 2" krausen. So, I decided to split my dry hop and added an ounce each of the aforementioned hops. I will wait another week and add another ounce each. I know i doesn't fit the criteria of a NEIPA, but none the less I did it any way.

O yeah, I was going to call it Dank, but now it will be known as Dankee.

Well, after reading this thread for the past week I did something I probably should not have. I brewed a dank ipa using Apollo, Columbus, and Simcoe this past weekend. Im on day 5 with 1056 and I still have a 2" krausen. So, I decided to split my dry hop and added an ounce each of the aforementioned hops. I will wait another week and add another ounce each. I know i doesn't fit the criteria of a NEIPA, but none the less I did it any way.

Let us know how it turns out, I've been thinking about the same hop combo.

I kegged my version last night and am fast carbing it to try to enjoy Sunday. The aroma coming out the fermenter was fabulous! My wife said she could smell it in another room. Smelled like a tropical paradise. First tastes are always conflicting to me but the bittering was where I like it and there were no off flavors. I think this one is a winner for a first time NEIPA try.
The comments in this thread have been very helpful so thanks to all for contributing.

I bet there's some "Dankee Pankee" going in on that fermenter! :mug:

nothing odd there. Heady has lots of dank hops according to the Heady clone thread

Brewing today and have a bunch of citra, mosaic, and equinox on hand. I know citra/mosaic is a solid combo, but I've done that several times recently and would like to change it up a bit. Thoughts about including equinox? Maybe citra/mosaic for the kettle additions then citra/equinox for the dry hops? Or all 3? I've heard about the green pepper thing but also read that that is more of an issue with using equinox for early additions, so maybe it won't be a problem as a dryhop.

Thoughts appreciated.

yeah...... not long. I use an immersion chiller. turn off flame, throw in hops, get chiller going. might be 3-4 minutes (at most) from flame out until 160 degrees. Then I shut off chiller, throw in hop stand hops. Let those sit and stir them up from time to time over 20-30 minutes and chill the rest of the way. Flame out until fermenter might be 45 minutes or so.

Thanks for the answer. That is generally what I do as well. Going to give the recipe a go on Tuesday assuming I can get a starter going sometime today.

Going to brew this one in the next couple days following the original recipe for grain bill. Hops will be CTZ for bittering charge and then I'll flameout, whirlpool and do both dry hops with
.5:1:1 CTZ, Citra, Mosaic
I have a starter of WLP005 on the stirplate now. Not heard of anyone using this yeast yet but it's a British Ale so it should work just fine.

Made it this morning using Denali, Mandarina Bavaria, and Mosaic.
Never tried Denali and only tried Mandarina once so. It sure how it'll go, but from the descriptions I read they should all work together! (I hope)

Here's my latest go around:

6# MO
6# GP
1# Flaked Oats
1# Flaked Wheat

Warrior to bitter, 1:1:1 Galaxy, Simcoe & Citra. Denny's 1450:

7Q4IRie.jpg

Made it this morning using Denali, Mandarina Bavaria, and Mosaic.
Never tried Denali and only tried Mandarina once so. It sure how it'll go, but from the descriptions I read they should all work together! (I hope)

I'm planning on going with Citra, amarillo, and Denali. I've never used Denali either but very curious. Please post your thoughts when it's ready!

Brewing today and have a bunch of citra, mosaic, and equinox on hand. I know citra/mosaic is a solid combo, but I've done that several times recently and would like to change it up a bit. Thoughts about including equinox? Maybe citra/mosaic for the kettle additions then citra/equinox for the dry hops? Or all 3? I've heard about the green pepper thing but also read that that is more of an issue with using equinox for early additions, so maybe it won't be a problem as a dryhop.

Thoughts appreciated.

I did Citra/Equinox 1:1 for all four additions with this recipe and loved it. I think the Citra was probably more prominent, which is never a bad thing, but the Equinox contributed a very citrusy aspect. Lots of lime, orange, papaya. No green pepper. I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of those three hops.

I'm planning on going with Citra, amarillo, and Denali. I've never used Denali either but very curious. Please post your thoughts when it's ready!

I've purchased one pound of Denali so far in my life. I used that batch of Denali in two beers so far. One was 2 oz/gal. Denali dryhop, the other was 1 oz/gal Denali with 1oz/gal Eureka! Both beers were pineapple bombs. like pineapple juice. Though, interestingly, the second batch was kind of dank for a long time and then resolved into a pineapple bomb by 6 wks in the keg. In the future, I will use it as a small accent hop to get a little pineapple if that is what I am going for.

I would EXPECT huge pineapple from Denali. Eureka! is huge Mango to my taste for the batch of Eureka! I got.

Back