Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBDrinker008

Reaction score
I dumped my latest wort onto a fresh yeast cake the other day and wow, did that thing take off quickly, within 2 hours. I cleaned the clogged airlock once and fell asleep, when I woke up not only was the airlock empty and messy but there was a ton of yeast slurry/sludge all over the top of my fermenting bucket. I had to a blow off tube for the first time and all was well.

I was telling this story to a buddy of mine at work, with maybe a little too much excitement and he looked like I was crazy for being excited about a mess in my kitchen.

On a side note I think I may have racked the previous beer from the yeast cake. There was still minimal Krausen on top but my hydro reading was 1.012 so I thought it was close to done and I wanted to brew and use that yeast cake. In the secondary I saw what looked like small yeast colonies maybe on the surface of the beer. White circular spots floating. I am assuming its just yeast and am not to worried. But are there any advverse side affects to racking to early? OG was 1.047 so I am looking at 4.5% ABV at this point

Those little white circles are bubble clusters. They're just some residual co2, from fermentation, coming out of solution. No worries...

Nice, thanks

I figured as much, but there was that nagging thought in the back of my head saying what if.

I racked this beer to a secondary this weekend and it tasted pretty good. Gravity was 1.011. Beer tasted pretty good but a little "yeasty" I am dry hopping it right now for 2 weeks in secondary.

Do you think the yeast flavor may fade as it continues to clear in secondary?

Back