What's the difference between these burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a burner for doing full boils. I already have a 30qt. stainless pot so I'm not necessarily looking for a turkey fryer set. I've been looking at some of the different burners sold by Bayou Classic and I'm not sure what the difference is between a lot of them. Below are the ones I've been looking at. If anyone has any input on them or suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Banjo Cooker
High Pressure Cooker
Jet Cooker
Outdoor Patio Stove

As far as I can tell, the Banjo has the largest burner and the Patio Stove is only a 10 PSI unit. Beyond that, I have no clue. What difference does 10 or 20 PSI make? :confused:

I know this is not much help, but with the regular cheap cast burners you get at academy or walmart if you have the right regulator you can bring 10 12 gallons in keg to a boil real quick. My burner is at the deer camp, but next time I go I will get the PSI off of the regulator. The regulator is adjustable and it also has a needle valve between the burner and regulator. I'll see if I can find a link. Some of the regulators that are not adjustable are no good for brewing beer,(Unless its a small batch) they are good for cooking but just dont have the flame you need, Especially if its windy outside.

I could'nt find one online exactly like mine, but there is a big differance between the 10 and 20. You will want a 20 with a needle valve between the regulator and the burner. I believe mine is 30. If you can get a 30, especially if you are boiling in a keg. Good luck. On the other hand the smaller ones will work, but I think you will be more happy with a high pressure regulator with a needle valve to adjust your flame.

Make sure the size of the cooking surface will accommodate the diameter of your kettle. If you think you may step up to a converted keg for your kettle some day, you need a very sturdy cooking surface that is about 17 inches in diameter, since a keg is 16 inches in diameter.

Otherwise, a 20 PSI regulator is preferable to the 10 PSI because you can get a stronger flame. You will also consume propane more quickly. A banjo burner is quite a bit quieter than a regular jet burner and offers finer control of the heat (some say). It may also be more efficient at low settings, but I don't know that for sure since I've never had one. I can confirm that the standard jet burners are pretty loud. My 20 PSI jet burner turkey fryer sounds like a jet airplane.

I got the Banjo (KAB5) mainly due to its size. My keggle is 15.5 inches in diameter and the Banjo is 16.75 inches wide, so it is fully supported. It's also very low to the ground, which I like.

As for the performance, it's definitely quieter and uses less gas than my old burner, and brings the volume up in the same amount of time or just a tad quicker. (6.5 gallons to boil in about 12 mins.) Once I hit my boil, you can dial it down to a point where you can barely hear that it's on. I'm positive THIS is where the fuel savings are. My propane tank felt empty when I started brewing and I still didn't run out!

The thing I dislike about it and I mean the ONLY thing, is that it has a safety shut off valve built in to the regulator to shut it down if the gas line breaks or is cut. So if your a little too gung-ho :cool: when lighting it, you can repeatedly trip the safety and it will operate at a very LOW level and frustrate the hell out of you. In other words, you have to wait until it's lit to REALLY crank it up.

Once I re-read the safety tag on the gas line, I got used to it, but I've had the same problem with King Cookers during crawfish season...

Just have to slow down some times I guess.

:cross:

I'll try to put things in perspective for you. Overall, I'd recommend the Banjo or High Pressure cooker. The patio stove will also do the job.

Banjo Cooker - This is the biggest, baddest of the bunch. Puts out A LOT of BTUs - way more than you need. If you're the Tim Allen type and think more is always better, this is the one for you. Stand is big enough for a keggle.
KAB5.jpg

High Pressure Cooker - This is the most common turkey fryer burner. More than enough heat for 10 gal boils, especially with the 20 psi burner. Can't go wrong with this burner. This particular stand however may not be large enough for a keggle. This burner in a large square stand like the patio cooker is a better setup.
Bayou%20Classic%20SP10.jpg

Jet Cooker - Don't get this!!! It's basically a torch with a stand. Very loud and inefficient.
Bayou%20Classic%20SP1.jpg

Outdoor Patio Stove - Lower BTUs than the other burners. Plenty of heat for 5 gal batches, and possibly 10 gal batches. This stand is large enough to support a keggle.
Bayou%20Classic%20SQ14.jpg

Thanks Lil' Sparky. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm leaning towards the Banjo Cooker. In the words of Tim Allen "More Power! Arrh! Arrh! Arrh!"

Any time. I think you'll be happy with the Banjo. Lots of satisfied I-gotta-have-the-most-Kick-A burner users around here. ;)

I personally use 3 of the standard high pressure burners on my brew stand. They're cheap and I've never been dissatisfied.

Yep, put me in that camp. I do love my Banjo K-A, the difference between it and the cheap Banjo I started with is night and day. I usually run my mash and first sparge into my keggle, then start my boil. By the time my last runnings from the last sparge hit the keggle, I'm nearly at a boil.

I tell you, the KAB5 banjo is almost too much burner. you'll need to play with the air mixture 'plate' to get the right burn on the flame.
otherwise narrower pots get a LOT of soot and the flame will lick up the sides a bit.

but if you ever plan to get a keggle, then the banjo is THE burner to get.

Funny you should mention this, my banjo looks like it's frosted. I'm guessing this is due to me running it too rich. Anyone care to explain what the white residue is?

Back