How to store coffee beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
OK, what am I doing wrong? Do not even want to buy more coffee. Have a ss French press, hand stone grinder. Spent $$ for the two. Bought some great dark roast beans, dialed in the grind, nirvana for the first two weeks-then reality. Swill. I stored my beans in air tight container in the freezer. Smell when grinding was immoral, but brew was awful. Tried going finer, courser, in between. Have had this multiple times. New bag of beans, great for a week, then blah.

Don't put the beans in the freezer, it causes the oils to do funny things, just keep in air tight container in a dark spot. I keep mine in an appliance garage near my brewing equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Freezers are bad for beans in general. They have low rh levels and dry things out. That is why foods sublimate and you get freezer burn. Air tight glass or porcelain with no light and minimal temperature swings as close to room temp as you can.

I follow Alton Brown's advice and keep my coffee in the refrigerator, sealed in a plastic zip-lock bag. Whether it is ground or whole bean, it's a great way to keep the coffee fresh.

When it comes to coffee, I follow the rule of 15....

• Green coffee beans will be good for about 15 months.
  • Roasted coffee should be used within 15 days.
  • Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes.

Some miss information here, first fridge is about the worst place for coffee b/c of moisture and light. Freezer is fine long as you do it correctly. I freeze my beans when they arrive, broken down into batches in zip bags placed inside ball caning in jars. Ball Caning Jars are freezer safe, a lot of sealed containers people use aren't meant for freezer use. I Take one jar out at a time overnight to defrost and use till another has to be taken out. I can go two months out and still pull yummy shots (have Crossland CC1 and Preciso grinder). I tried storing in the same jars in a dark cupboard and they go stale after two weeks, look on coffeegeek or home-barista and you see many that freeze.

Question also comes down to the beans, almost no such thing as a good dark roast as their generally already burnt by that point when bought from a store and not a roaster that knows what their doing. So where are your beans from and when were they roasted? If you buy beans at a grocery store their already long since stale and nothing can be done. Good coffee needs fresh roasted beans, pry have local roasters in your area or plenty are online to order.

Coffee Rule of 15 posted above is what most anyone into coffee follows

I store mine at room temp, in a commercial coffee can. I only roast enough for 7-10 days.

Back