Northernbrewer Newsletter on Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
2007's supply of hops is unfortunately not expected to meet the
worldwide demand. The hop shortage is expected to last about 2-3
years. The good news: we contracted an adequate supply of hop pellets
for us to supply our customers for the 2008 calendar year.
The bad news: the 2007 crop is not yet ready for shipment, and the
2006 crop is nearly sold out. The situation looks pretty bad now (if
you look at our website, most varieties are unavailable). The 2007
crop is just beginning to ship, and we expect the situation will only
improve from this point forward.

Please bear with us, and try experimenting with some of the newer
varieties we have brought in, like Ahtanum, Boadicea, Lublin, Marynka,
Newport, Northdown, Premiant, Progress, Sladek, Sterling, and Vanguard!
It's time to get creative folks!

I know, another hops shortage thread. But thought I'd share for those that didn't get the newsletter. 2-3 years. Ouch! Glad I stocked up, but I only have a year or so's worth of hops... not 2 or 3.

On a more delightful note, I'll be the first to recommend that Marynka... that's some good stuff!

This is also the time to memorize a number: 90. No matter what you do or what your brewing software says, the maximum IBUs a homebrew can achieve is 90. This has to do with the chemical equilibrium of the hop isomers.

So, next time you are planning an IIPA, back off on the bittering hops until you get down to 90. In some cases, you may not even need bittering hops. The flavor adds will provide all of the IBUs.

Use the leftovers to make another batch!

david_42 said:
This is also the time to memorize a number: 90. No matter what you do or what your brewing software says, the maximum IBUs a homebrew can achieve is 90. This has to do with the chemical equilibrium of the hop isomers.

So, next time you are planning an IIPA, back off on the bittering hops until you get down to 90. In some cases, you may not even need bittering hops. The flavor adds will provide all of the IBUs.

Use the leftovers to make another batch!

I think that you raise a very good point....I see so many recipes posted online where folks are just tossing hops into the kettle to get massive IBU numbers and up the ante in the quest for super hoppy. The way things are getting 'till this seasons hops get into the distribution stream, you definitely get to a point where you have to question the effectiveness of your additions....

If you're gonna use alot of hops, at least add most of them near the end of the boil to get most of your IBUs plus a heckalot of hop flavor and aroma!

Heh, I bet everyone got that newsletter this morning, that's why there's about a dozen or so active threads about the hop shortage.

Ryanh1801 said:
Anyone ever used Ahtanum, seems like it would be a great hop in a APA.
I did a single hop Ahtanum IPA over the sumer. A very nice hop, i would call it citrusy, fruity, and a bit spicy all at the same time. THe closest i could think to describe it iis if you crossed Cascade, Amarillo and Nugget hops...

kenb said:
I did a single hop Ahtanum IPA over the sumer. A very nice hop, i would call it citrusy, fruity, and a bit spicy all at the same time. THe closest i could think to describe it iis if you crossed Cascade, Amarillo and Nugget hops...

Sweet thanks for the info, thats about what I was thinking from the description.

It's really good to see them recommend other varieties.

I'm more of a "balanced" beer drinker now (I was heavy malty when I joined) so I don't think I'll be to horribly affected in my brews. However, with the shortage lasting as long as they claim it will, there will certainly be a ripple effect in both the homebrewer and craft brewer markets.

I very much look forward to some of what results. :)

in following the articles suggestion of getting creative is anyone thinking using something like heather or spruce tips (i'm sure there are other plants used for bittering and flavour as well) to replace hops altogether? if so can anyone recommend a good guide as to how to use them?

just brewed a heather ale last weekend - used a scottish ale as a base recipe and replaced the hops with dried heather flowers.
let you know in a month or so if it worked. - smells good so far.

I'm enjoying experimenting with new strains, but...

[pulling hair out of already balding head from inability to duplicate house recipes]

Back