Conversion for Extract to Grain???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robar

Reaction score
I know I've read it somewhere, but can't seem to find it. What is the formula for converting Extract recipes to All Grain? What about hops considerations? Thanks!

its roughly 1lb of extract = 1.25lbs of 2-row...there's a slight variation between dry extract and liquid extract though. Google has some calculators and formulae.

as for hops, extract vs grain has no bearing...its the size of your boil. small/partial boils get worse hop utilization. Full boils get 'normal' utilization.

I find tools like promash or www.beertools.com recipe generators will help you get final IBU levels from a given boil volume and hop quantity. However a lot of times the recipe for the extract version will help...if the recipe calls for a small boil, you can assume you'll need to reduce hops a little to avoid an overly bitter beer when doing a full volume boil.

make sense?

Makes a lot of sense. I thought that the conversion was something in the neighborhood of 1=1.33 So I was close. The hops thing does make a lot of sense because with a full boil you are going to get full milage out of your bittering hops. Thanks! - Robar

DME might be 1.3 lbs of grain and LME is 1.25 due to the moisture weight of the LME.

homebrewer_99 said:
1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME...:D

so 1lb LME = 1.25lbs Grain?
and 1lb DME = 1.333333333~lbs Grain?

(i suck at math guys)

Again, I was close, thanks for the responce guys. After the three books my wife bought for me I have a bunch of recipes. Many of these are extract recipes that I will need to convert if I want to do them. We all know I will never make even 5% of these, but the thought was what counted for more then she will ever know.

Back