Just Kegged My Kolsch - What I Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, I asked a bunch of questions about this Kolsch and got some very good advice. Thought I'd summarize and thank everyone that helped. I just tasted before sending into the keg and it's completely flat but I could easily drink a Pint of it !! It's awsome.:rockin:

Anyway:

- Kolsch Yeast smells really bad but that's ok; I can assure you that goes away.
- The yeast took forever to fall and I ended up cold conditioning the secondary and that did the trick. I was also told Knox unflavored Gelatin (the kind in the grocery store) would drop the yeast but would be difficult to clean.
- Color was darker than expected probably due to extract ; also should have used extra light DME rather than light DME.
- Extremely aggressive fermentaion blew throught the airlock :( had to use a blow off tube.
- going to let it condition for another month or so (total time 8weeks). I think I'll tap this bad boy on labor day.

Latest posts

Back