Easy label removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I came up with a way to remove labels one bottle at a time. I use this when I only have a few bottles to do. It is extremely simple.
Just cut the top off of a 2 liter plastic bottle, fill it with your favorite solution, fill the beer bottle with water, and drop it in. I like this method for two reasons.
1. I use very little solution and I've been able to de-label 12 or so bottles before the solution gets too gummy.
2. I can pour myself a beer and immediately de-label the bottle. It takes very little time and effort.
2967-LabelRemoval.jpg

Interesting concept. I'll have to see how my 32 ounce Tecate bottles fit in that.

How did you like the Moose Drool? I have one in the fridge waiting for me now.

EdWort said:
Interesting concept. I'll have to see how my 32 ounce Tecate bottles fit in that.

How did you like the Moose Drool? I have one in the fridge waiting for me now.
Moose Drool is my favorite beer.:rockin: I don't like it. I love it! It is a nicely balanced beer.

I've also done 22 Oz. bombers with this method. The only problem I ran into is that if the bottle has a neck label it won't submerge into the solution. I just flip the bottle up side down and remove the neck label after the main one is removed.

RichBrewer said:
I came up with a way to remove labels one bottle at a time. I use this when I only have a few bottles to do. It is extremely simple.
Just cut the top off of a 2 liter plastic bottle, fill it with your favorite solution, fill the beer bottle with water, and drop it in. I like this method for two reasons.
1. I use very little solution and I've been able to de-label 12 or so bottles before the solution gets too gummy.
2. I can pour myself a beer and immediately de-label the bottle. It takes very little time and effort.
2967-LabelRemoval.jpg

This is really good idea, remove labels as you go. Saves time. Just don't drink too fast.

I normally use ammonia and water overnight soak for this.

What do you use chemical-wise?

How fast does it work?

Slow solvent like activity or quick drinking would hamper this.

Schlenkerla said:
This is really good idea, remove labels as you go. Saves time. Just don't drink too fast.

I normally use ammonia and water overnight soak for this.

What do you use chemical-wise?

How fast does it work?

Slow solvent like activity or quick drinking would hamper this.
I also use ammonia and water. Most labels fall off in 2 to 4 hours. If I have a few bottles to de-label, I just do them as the labels come off. I stuck a bomber in after the bottle in the photo was clean.

RichBrewer said:
I also use ammonia and water. Most labels fall off in 2 to 4 hours. If I have a few bottles to de-label, I just do them as the labels come off. I stuck a bomber in after the bottle in the photo was clean.

What's your ammonia to water ratio?

Dude said:
Great idea Rich.

Guys, use oxyclean, it'll remove them in less than an hour. Most labels are floating before I get back to them.
I think I'll give it a try as well. I've heard it does a good job.

I've never used a solution mix to remove labels before. Usually I just dump the bottles into a sink full of scolding hot water. What isn't floating after an hour usually peels off.

Back