Liquored up Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
If one was to soak un-steamed oak chips in alcohol, bourbon or what-have-you, would that make them free of infection? Anyone have any idea?

Maybe a bit off topic, but what would be a good beer to use this technique with? I'm thinking about a coffee porter with Bourbon soaked oak cubes. Would it work?

Dan

I've got an Imperial Stout with Bourbon soaked oak cubes in the secondary now. Coffee Porter with Bourbon sounds good. I've also done a Scotch Ale with Scotch soaked oak cubes and a Belgian Style Tripel with Chardonnay soaked oak cubes.

Brewtopia said:
I've got an Imperial Stout with Bourbon soaked oak cubes in the secondary now. Coffee Porter with Bourbon sounds good. I've also done a Scotch Ale with Scotch soaked oak cubes and a Belgian Style Tripel with Chardonnay soaked oak cubes.

Ohh...wine soaked oak cubes...that sounds like pure genius. Two of my favorite things in one:D
How did it come out?

Dan

It's really nice. I bottled it about 4 weeks ago and at 13.2%, I'm not planning on cracking it open for about a year. Tasted good at bottling time though.

Brewtopia said:
It's really nice. I bottled it about 4 weeks ago and at 13.2%, I'm not planning on cracking it open for about a year. Tasted good at bottling time though.
I'm sure it will be killer after some aging. I would like to try this on one of my future brews...So many ideas, so few fermenters:D

Dan

I'm working on an old ale that I plan to use some bourbon cubes in. Originally, I was going to soak 2 ounces of charred oak cubes in 10 oz of Maker's Mark. I was going to let it sit for a month and add the entire mixture to the secondary of my beer.

I was experimenting with some barleywine yesterday, and even a tiny splash of bourbon in a pint totally dominates the flavor profile. I'm thinking I'm going to drop the 10 ounces to about 4-5 at the most.

Where can you get those oak cubes at? Im brewing a IPA right now and im thinking about putting some in the secondary. Also, how much do you use for a good flavor?

I use Stavin oak cubes. My LHBS carries them. I use 2 oz for a 5 gallon batch. Monitor the flavor and rack off the cubes when it is where you want it.

I also recommend not adding the burbon. Drain it off and add only the cubes.

Worked out well in my chocolate oatmeal stout. Strong burbon nose, but subtle on the flavor, the stout still comes thru. The cubes hadd soaked for 7 or 8 months, and the stout sat on the cubes for two and a half months.

Latest posts

Back