Carbon Monoxide Detector may have just saved our lives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatanPrinceOfDarkness

Reaction score
Let this be a PSA to anyone who brews inside on their stove, or in any sort of closed space. Make sure you have a CO detector!

I woke up early and turned on the ktichen stove by 7:45AM. Just now, almost 4 hours later, my CO detector went off.

Maybe half an hour ago my fiancee had mentioned it was odd that she felt hungover, because she hadn't felt hungover when she got up around 9AM. We can't really be sure it is was the CO, but it could be.

I'm not sure what I would've done if I didn't have the CO detector. We don't have a lot of airflow in the house (window AC units don't exchange air), and I was thinking about taking a nap after brewing...

Where is your CO sensor in relation to your stove?

Are the flames entirely blue, or do you get orange also? NG?

Maybe you should consider turning on the exhaust hood fan when cooking for extended periods. Does your exhaust vent outdoors?

They do get orange. I've read is that isn't a clear indicator of inefficient process for NG... they said basically that if the color composition changes, it would be a better indicator than orange flames to begin with.

The CO sensor that went off is right outside the kitchen. I have a tiny kitchen. The whole room is maybe 6'x8' with standing room of perhaps 3' by 6'. After moving the sensor about 30 feet away, it went off again. The upstairs sensor never went off though.

I was interested that the sensor goes off at 400ppm but supposedly negative effects start at 150ppm...

My over fan does not go outside. Next time I brew I will certainly be opening some doors/windows though to keep airflow going.

Let this be a PSA to anyone who brews inside on their stove, or in any sort of closed space. Make sure you have a CO detector!

I woke up early and turned on the ktichen stove by 7:45AM. Just now, almost 4 hours later, my CO detector went off.

I'm confused, you woke up early and turned on the kitchen stove? What for? Were you brewing or cooking or you just turned it on and walked away?

I'm confused, you woke up early and turned on the kitchen stove? What for? Were you brewing or cooking or you just turned it on and walked away?

I was brewing. I do BIAB. I had the stove on for about 45 minutes getting my 7 gallons up to strike temp, and then off during the saccharification rest. Then back on for boiling.

Between raising the temp to boiling, and actually boiling, the stove (2 burners) had been on constantly for about 90 minutes when the CO detector went off. Presumably the earlier 45 minutes contributed somewhat as well, since there was no air exchange happening.

Back