Light Dent on Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopFinn

Reaction score
I bought a 6.9 cubic foot Magic Chef today. I had to borrow my neighbor's truck since I don't have one myself. I noticed after I got it home and out of the box that the outside upper left hand side had a small, light dent. Initially I thought it wasn't a big deal since it seemed cosmetic only, but then i read the warning labels on the box about the coolant tubing. Without any prior experience owning a chest freezer, how big of a deal is a light dent on the exterior? Will it impact the freezer's performance. Thanks for your advice.

Unless you have a deep dent or tear in the skin, you probably haven't damaged the cooling coils. Plug it in and turn it on. If it works overnight, then you should be good to go.

Brew on :mug:

Shoot! That's good to go! I got a steal on a chest freezer to use as a keezer...put a wood collar on it...no dents at all and pristine...until my kids took bats (or some blunt objects) to it.

Still works like a charm.

Happy kegging!

It's a shame it has the dent--ruins an otherwise pristine surface.

We just bought the same freezer for my son's keezer project. It'll fit four ball-lock corny kegs on the floor, barely.

If the dent is really offputting, you might consider painting it with chalkboard paint. Below are pics of my freezer, one with the dents, the other after painting. If you didn't know there were dents, you wouldn't see them after the painting. BTW, I got it for free, so as long as it worked, I didn't care about the debts. :)

And I'll tell you--anyone who sees this for the first time isn't looking for dents. They're focused on 5 faucets. :)

I used a small roller to paint it, using a primer first. I gave it a light sanding before the primer. Camouflages the dents incredibly well.

keezerpartial.jpg

keezer5tap.jpg

Haha. Yeah that's a good point. I suppose my daughter will end up denting it with something even
tually anyway.

Wow! Great job and thanks for sharing the pics of your keezer. I really like the chalk board paint. Are you using magnets to hold up the drip tray? If so, would you mind letting me know where you ordered them from?

Wow! Great job and thanks for sharing the pics of your keezer. I really like the chalk board paint. Are you using magnets to hold up the drip tray? If so, would you mind letting me know where you ordered them from?

They're magnetic paper towel holders:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...585-c-9189.htm?tid=4512043089247005660&ipos=1

I've put an 8-pound weight on that tray and it held, so it'll hold a full glass of beer just fine.

You can get a better idea what this is like from the pic below. The drip tray sits on the paper towel holders, and the smaller round magnets hold the drip tray to those holders.

I didn't want to drill into the front, not knowing where I might hit a cooling coil, so this works. Easy to remove the drip tray to rinse out. I've got some super-strong magnets I ordered for something else that I use to hold the drip tray to the support holders. Looks pretty decent.

driptray.jpg

driptraymagnet.jpg

That's a really neat idea! Thanks for sharing that with me and providing the links. This is definitely something I am going to check out.

Back