First mini-mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
It's going to be a while before I get around to this, because I already have the next two beers planned and ingredients bought, but I want to do a steam beer. It will ideally be an amber colored, light bodied beer. I'm thinking refreshing, crisp, somewhat like the Anchor Steam.
I also want to do a mini-mash with this one. Can anyone tell me what kinds of malts would be good for this? I want to create a good mash, and add pale LME to up the sugars, because I can't really do a full mash. I just don't have the equipment.

rewster451 said:
I also want to do a mini-mash with this one. Can anyone tell me what kinds of malts would be good for this? I want to create a good mash, and add pale LME to up the sugars, because I can't really do a full mash. I just don't have the equipment.

Make sure you include some of the base malt (usually pale 2row) with the specialty malts that you are using in your mash. The base malt is necessary to provide the enzymes that have been destroyed when roasting the specialty malts.

Not exactly, but it's all pretty close. My LHBS sells American 2-row as well as a Pale Ale Malt. I think the pale ale malt is just a degree or two darker than the regular 2-row. I've had success with both. It will be the adjunct grain that makes a big difference in the amber color and flavor. As long as you have a couple pounds of base malt, you'll be fine mashing the other grain.

by adjunct, he means specialty grain.

what are you going to be doing the mini-mash in? a kettle, a small cooler? are you gonna use a grain bag and just steep the grains for a spell

depending on how dark you want the final product to be, i'd use some caramel/crystal malt 20-40L maybe a pound, and then a few pounds of the base malt, pale or two row. the majority of yer fermentables are still gonna come from the lme.

I was under the impression that specialty grains (like crystal, roasted barley, black patent, etc), had already had their starches converted to sugars during a special kilning process?

If that is the case, while it wouldn't hurt anything to add it, I don't see the need for 2 Row, especially if you are just going to steep the specialty grain.

don't mean to be nit-picky, but an adjunct means any fermentable OTHER than malted barley added to beer. like honey, candy sugar, molasses, etc.
note the German Beer Purity Law which only allows yeast, grains, water, hops. anything else would be considered an adjunct.

okay, back to discussion :~)

I just want to do a mini-mash to get the feel for AG. I'm using lme just to be sure I've got enough fermentables if I screw up the mash.
I also want to see if mashing base malts adds anything to the flavor. I've been steeping specialty grains for a while. I definitely plan on using some crystal, maybe dark crystal.

rewster451 said:
I just want to do a mini-mash to get the feel for AG. I'm using lme just to be sure I've got enough fermentables if I screw up the mash.
I also want to see if mashing base malts adds anything to the flavor. I've been steeping specialty grains for a while. I definitely plan on using some crystal, maybe dark crystal.

I just want to start out by saying that if you add 2 row base malt the lme will over power the characteristics of it. Seeing how your going to be using lme, you will use the malt for tast. If your wondering what specialty malt to use, use about a pound of 10-40L crystal to add mouth feel, taste and help with the head retention. Steep the grain in the water as you heat it up and take out as soon as you get close to a boil or you will extract harsh tannins. If you didnt know this, california steam is called steam beer because of the high carbonation rates. food for though, good luck

usmcruz said:
I just want to start out by saying that if you add 2 row base malt the lme will over power the characteristics of it.
Essentially what he'd be getitng out of the 2-row is exactly what LME is, so that statement doesn't really make sense.
usmcruz said:
Steep the grain in the water as you heat it up and take out as soon as you get close to a boil or you will extract harsh tannins.
Not to get nitpicky here, but "close to a boil" could get you in trouble. Try not to let that water get higher than 170°. Higher than that will extract the unwanted tannins.
usmcruz said:
If you didnt know this, california steam is called steam beer because of the high carbonation rates.
I've read many different theories on the origin of "steam" beer, that certainly could help explain part of the mystery, as to what it looked like when a keg was tapped. The higher carb rates would make a shower of mist that could resemble steam. I've also read that the origin is based more on the actual process of brewing it, but this higher carb theory certainly seems reasonable!

ORRELSE said:
Essentially what he'd be getitng out of the 2-row is exactly what LME is, so that statement doesn't really make sense.Not to get nitpicky here, but "close to a boil" could get you in trouble. Try not to let that water get higher than 170°. Higher than that will extract the unwanted tannins.I've read many different theories on the origin of "steam" beer, that certainly could help explain part of the mystery, as to what it looked like when a keg was tapped. The higher carb rates would make a shower of mist that could resemble steam. I've also read that the origin is based more on the actual process of brewing it, but this higher carb theory certainly seems reasonable!

Your right about the 2 row issue, and the temp it was a late night last night and i wont make that mistake twice, but the theory on the california steam beer is correct. I have read numerous books on california steam and they all explain the mystery of why its called a steam beer. Cheers

So if 2-row essentially gives you lme when mashed, what is the point of ever doing a mini-mash, except as I'm doing, as a sort of tutorial?

Correct, the LME will over power any benefit from the Pale malt. There is no real need of doing a mini mash to handle the specialty grains.

Except, and here a second Rewster, for the instructional value of mini mashes. They let you get comfortable with the mashing process (hitting the temperature, how much water is needed to raise the temp etc.). You may even want to do an iodine test at the end to see if you converted all the starches. If you mess up, no big deal, you have the DME/LME at hand anyway.

I have started doing the same since I don't have the time or equipment yet for doing AG. And before I worry about full size mashes I want to have the other steps dialed in.

I don't think that specialty grains already had their starches converted. Otherwise you should be able to brew with 100% of them and don't even have to do a mash. The kilning process deactivated all the enzymes and, depending on the darkness, carmelized some or all the starches.

DeRoux's Broux said:
...note the German Beer Purity Law which only allows yeast, grains, water, hops. anything else would be considered an adjunct.

Now I have to be nit-picky. The German Purity Law, as it is currently in effect, actually allows for other grains than barley to be used (not including rice or corn though) in top-fermenting beers. Lagers however can only be brewed from barley.

Kai

includes wheat :~), why, i'm not sure? it kinda contradicts their purity law hu????
definition of adjunct as found in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
adjunct: sources of ferementable extract other than malted barley. principally corn, rice, wheat, unmalted barley, and glucose (dextrose).

I did some research on Germany's purity law.

The original one was put in place by Duke Wilhelm IV of Bavaria only allowed barley, water and hops. Yeast was not discovered back then since a wild fermentation was used. It was issued for a few major reasons: raise the quality of the beer, set a fixed price for beer and protect the wheat crops from being used to brew beer. The wheat was needed for bread baking.

This purity law is the most famous one since it is often referenced on the labels of german Pilsners, Lagers and Exports.

Over time the purity law has been adopted to include yeast (top and bottom fermenting) and other grains than barley. It now distinguishes between top and bottom fermenting beers. The latter can only be brewed with barley (only in its malted form), water, hops and yeast. The others however can be brewed with other grains (only malted and not including rice or corn).
This means just flakes grains are not allowed. Even the addition of sugar (even carmelized) is also allowed for top fermenting beers.

Hope that helps,
Kai

Back