I've used a carboy maybe twice in seven years. Buckets are not any better or worse than carboys (or more or less advanced) but they suit my purposes well. They also give me the best bang for my buck.......et
Bottled: Rye IPA
Secondary: rye barleywine
On deck: ??
No problem. Partigyle doesn't seem to be too common. This is only the second one I've done in 7 years. I was happy with the first one and the IPA from this batch is pretty good. It's going to be tough waiting to see how the barleywine turns out
This was a partigyle mash. I collected a total of 10.75 gallons of wort. 4.25 gallons of 1.060 wort and 6.5 gallons of 1.040 wort.
Collected about 520 gravity points from the 22.75 pounds of grain. My efficiency was close to 70%, which is pretty typical for my setup
I only collected first runnings, about 4.25 gallons. The mash was not sparged for the barleywine. I sparged the mash for a second beer. I ended up with a 2.5 gallon beer @1.104 and a 5 gallon beer @1.052
Whoops, copied it from another post. Malt bill must have been higher up
17# 2 row
1# crystal 80
.5# flaked wheat
.25# chocolate malt
Collected enough first runnings for a 90 minute boil to end with 2.5 gallons of 1.105 wort
OG=1.105 FG=1.025 IBU=48 SRM=18
Collect 4.5 gallons of first runnings, gravity should be 1.06 preboil. Boil for 90 minutes
1 oz Brewer's Gold FWH
1 oz Brewer's Gold 90 min
1 oz Brewer's Gold 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings 30 min
.3 oz Columbus 15min
.6oz Mt Hood...
I'm not sure what I would classify it as, it's a recipe I made up. It's pretty hoppy right now, so it probably is closer to American. I'm plan on letting it sit for a few moths before sampling. See how it tastes before deciding to bottle.
Hydrometer. I've roused the yeast by swirling a few times before I added the krausening yeast so looks like 1.030 is it. I was shooting for 1.023 so it's higher than I wanted, but not drastically. It's 71% aa instead of 77%
I'll try mashing lower next time. Only reason I mashed "high" at 153...
So I added ~5g yeast to the 2c starter as you suggested and waited until it was fermenting to add it. It was at the same ambient temperature as the beer when I added it the evening on the 23rd. I checked the gravity on the 26th and there was no change, it was still at 1.030. Looks like it has...
Seems like the TLDR version is this: it's hard to totally screw the pooch on pitching rate.
If your optimal rate is X, you have a range of .125x to 5x that will work out. As they say in canada "crose enough!!"