Wine Cork Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
So after getting my wine kit and making my first batch, I am getting ready to bottle. The corks I received with the kit (it was a gift) are just in a sealable plastic bag with no instructions. So, I'm not sure if I need to sanitize them. I'm guessing it's a good idea to anyway but what is the usual method? Boil them? Soak in star san or some other solution?

So after getting my wine kit and making my first batch, I am getting ready to bottle. The corks I received with the kit (it was a gift) are just in a sealable plastic bag with no instructions. So, I'm not sure if I need to sanitize them. I'm guessing it's a good idea to anyway but what is the usual method? Boil them? Soak in star san or some other solution?

If they are in a sealed package, you can use them as is. Don't boil them! That will degrade them. You can spray them with star-san if you want.

When I have an opened package (I buy them in large amounts), I usually just make a "cork humidor" type set up to sanitize them. What I do is get 1/2 cup of hot water and crush a campden tablet into it. I still that in the microwave until boiling. Then I place the solution (still in the cup I boiled it in) into a bowl. I set the corks in there around the container with the sulfite solution, and cover it. Then I get my bottles ready and sanitize them. By the time I use the corks, they have been "steamed" by the sulfite and are ready to use.

The few wine kits I've done have told me to put the corks in a boiling pan of water for 15 minutes. They don't really get boiled because they float, but I think the steam get to any nasties that might be hiding in the cork. That and it also loosens the cork up and makes it easier to go in (thats what she said).

................. I set the corks in there around the container with the sulfite solution, and cover it. .............. By the time I use the corks, they have been "steamed" by the sulfite and are ready to use.

Thanks Yooper, I think I have a new technique to try out.

Back