Well,This Should be Interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampamark

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a Cream Ale today. At least, that was the plan. I had picked up the ingredients for a Cream Ale and a Robust Porter last week at the LHBS. Then, I went back to the farm, 250 miles away, where my brewery is located.

Started brewing today and heated 4 gal of strike water for my 9 lb grain bill. Every time I opened the MLT to stir I thought the mash looked pretty thick for 1.5 qts/lb. I was almost to the end of the 90 min mash when I realized I had dumped the adjuncts for the cream ale into the grain bill for the Porter. So, I had 15 lbs of grist instead of 9.

I added a gallon of strike water and will continue mashing for another 30 min. I haven't entered this conglomeration into BeerSmith yet, but I will to find out what to expect from the extra 2.5 lbs of adjuncts added to the Porter recipe. This could be heaven or this could be hell, like the song says...

Mark

Well, BeerSmith predicts an OG of 1.082, FG of 1.010, 9.58 ABV. I'm going with a 90 min boil, 1 oz Magnum @60, 1 oz Willamette @30 and 1/2oz Crystal @10. It'll be beer, but what, exactly remains to be seen.

Mark

Well, it finished at 1.076 OG. That's a potential ABV of 10.2%. The yeasts I used (Wyeast 1056 boosted by a rehydrated packet of US-05) should attenuate around 80%. That will give me a strong Porter of around 8% ABV. The last batch of my house Porter, without the accidental adjuncts, came out at 1.054 preboil, 1.072 OG and 1.014 FG for 7.6% ABV. Basically, I made a slightly stronger version of my house Porter with about 5 bucks worth of adjuncts as an extra, added attraction. Big whoop. RDWHAHB. I am, right now.

Mark

Since I was planning a 90 min mash, and mash in a cooler, I had started at the high end of the range I was aiming for (150-155). When I realized I was mashing the wrong grain bill the mash was still at 153. Adding more hot water to thin the mash didn't lower it by much. When I started sparging it was still at 150.

I haven't calculated the conversion efficiency yet. Since the OG was just below the number Beersmith predicted for my hastily constructed recipe I did get a decent amount of sugars in the fermenter.

Back