Watermelon Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat)
Yeast Starter
1250ml
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Wyeast 5335 (Lactobacillus) with 1000ml starter (as per package)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
For Souring mash\transfer to kettle. Cool to 110f\Cover airtight. Waited 48hrs. 3.5ph
Tasting Notes
Mildly sour. Watermelon is awesome. Almost a sweet tart but finishes sour.
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
21.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 5.0 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 3 55.0 %
4 lbs Pilsner Malt (Rahr) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 40.0 %
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 9.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.35 oz Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor 8 -
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) [ Yeast 10 -
1.00 pt Watermelon Concentrate (Primary 1.0 days Other 11 -
1.0 pkg Lactobacillus (Wyeast Labs #5335) [50.28 Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.00 gal of water at 181.9 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.72gal, 4.52gal) of 168.0 F water

Notes:
I did 150F single infusion 60 min. Transferred to kettle. Cool to 110F pitch lacto starter. I did not use any heat source. My end temp for souring was 82f as it was hot outside. I hit the wort with 5 mL lactic to bring ph down to 4.5 to discourage unwanted bacteria from invading the wort. This entire souring process took less than 48 hours in my outdoor brew cave right in my boil kettle with the lid on. Again, 78F-110F is fine for this particular strain of lacto.
When my ph was 3.20 and I began the boil. Added bittering hops for less than 10 IBU. 60 min boil, hop full boil, add 1 ounce sea salt and one ounce lightly cracked (not crushed) coriander in hop bag at 10 min to go. I do recommend a healthy pitch from a starter. I don't think it is necessary to double, but at least a single starter is best.

Normal ferment in the mid to upper 60F's for 10-12 days. The "magic" is the watermelon addition. I froze 1/2G fresh melon juice in a milk jug. Turn jug upside down over a quart mason jar and let it melt. The concentrate drains first. collect 32 oz. Freeze that 32 oz and do the melt/drip trick again and collect 16 oz essence. This is your pitch when you rack to keg for conditioning. Freeze until ready to use with one day left in fermentation.

Awesome. Next time will add a little more coriander and salt (went light first one). Also sour an additional day. Taste like watermelon sour candy BUT not sweet.

How long did you bottle condition beyond the normal couple weeks?? Is this good young?

Any changes if not adding fruit?

No changes. I keg so I started drinking it 12 days after kegging. It was great young but after 5 weeks was getting weird. Only had a couple pints at 5 weeks and keg was kicked at six weeks.

I'm curious - how did you make the fresh melon juice? The recipe looks fantastic, I'm not normally crazy about watermelon, but I had a watermelon gose in Tennessee a few months back and it was delicious.

I'm curious - how did you make the fresh melon juice? The recipe looks fantastic, I'm not normally crazy about watermelon, but I had a watermelon gose in Tennessee a few months back and it was delicious.

I can't find the link but here is my copy of the brewers procedure: The steps did not include how to get the juice from the melon but it was easy. I cut melon in half. Then I mashed the melon keeping it inside the shell. Once mashed enough I would take the pulp any put it in a strainer over a big bowl and mash it through the strainer as best as I could. Repeat if you have a lot of melon. After you collect the melon juice follow the caption below.

The "magic" is the watermelon addition. I froze 1/2Gallon fresh melon juice in a milk jug. Turn jug upside down over a quart mason jar and let it melt. The concentrate drains first. collect 32 oz. Freeze that 32 oz and do the melt/drip trick again and collect 16 oz essence. This is your pitch when you rack to keg for conditioning. Freeze until ready to use with one day left in fermentation.

I can't find the link but here is my copy of the brewers procedure: The steps did not include how to get the juice from the melon but it was easy. I cut melon in half. Then I mashed the melon keeping it inside the shell. Once mashed enough I would take the pulp any put it in a strainer over a big bowl and mash it through the strainer as best as I could. Repeat if you have a lot of melon. After you collect the melon juice follow the caption below.

The "magic" is the watermelon addition. I froze 1/2Gallon fresh melon juice in a milk jug. Turn jug upside down over a quart mason jar and let it melt. The concentrate drains first. collect 32 oz. Freeze that 32 oz and do the melt/drip trick again and collect 16 oz essence. This is your pitch when you rack to keg for conditioning. Freeze until ready to use with one day left in fermentation.

Cool, I was wondering if it was a simple as mashing up some watermelon then doing the freezing process. Good to know you didn’t have to use a juicer or blender or something. Thanks!

So to be clear, after freezing the 1/2 gal of juice you keep the first quart that melts off and repeat, correct? I ask because I just completed the first melt and what I collected looks pale and somewhat watery compared to what was left in the milk jug. I haven't tasted it though, so perhaps it is watermelony. I just started the second quart size melt.

So to be clear, after freezing the 1/2 gal of juice you keep the first quart that melts off and repeat, correct? I ask because I just completed the first melt and what I collected looks pale and somewhat watery compared to what was left in the milk jug. I haven't tasted it though, so perhaps it is watermelony. I just started the second quart size melt.
Yes, definitely.

Check out the consommé method for making essences. I have use a technique similar to what you’ve described here with just about anything, mixing in a bit of gelatin and freezing to a block. Put the block over a metal strainer sitting on top of a bowl in the fridge. The gelatinized proteins will stay “jello” in the strainer and the flavors will drip into the bowl. I’ve done this with coffee for a golden stout, and Thai chili peppers for a hot pepper IPA.

Very interesting, like you said it sounds like a useful technique for many different things.

FWIW, I just had a taste of the "second runnings" and it's definitely a concentrate and extremely sweet...

Founders Watermelon Gose (Green Zebra)...
I love sour beer.
It really irks me when I buy a "Gose" like this and get a super sugary fruit bomb that's barely tart.

Tired of sugar bombs with overpowering fruit? Try Baciami Lipsia, Leipziger Gose, Jackie O's Gose, Platform Go-zuh, Platform The Ghost Inside, Rhinegeist Peach Dodo.
A lot of these are from Ohio. Sierra Nevada Otra Vez is more balanced than most and you can probably find it. Anderson Briney Melon Gose is also very good.

This recipe looks OK, but I would let the watermelon sugar ferment so it's not too sweet.
Sorry for the rant. Cheers

OP reports that this recipe is not sweet, although it is not clear if he let the keg sit at room temp for some period of time or if it went straight to the keezer. My regular Gose is not over the top sour, but I definitely don't want sweet/sour. Time will tell...

OP reports that this recipe is not sweet, although it is not clear if he let the keg sit at room temp for some period of time or if it went straight to the keezer. My regular Gose is not over the top sour, but I definitely don't want sweet/sour. Time will tell...

I don't like sweet. The Gose was really balanced. I did not let it sit at room temp more then a day or two. It did sit in keezer for 5 days while carbing.

I love sour beer.
It really irks me when I buy a "Gose" like this and get a super sugary fruit bomb that's barely tart.

Tired of sugar bombs with overpowering fruit? Try Baciami Lipsia, Leipziger Gose, Jackie O's Gose, Platform Go-zuh, Platform The Ghost Inside, Rhinegeist Peach Dodo.
A lot of these are from Ohio. Sierra Nevada Otra Vez is more balanced than most and you can probably find it. Anderson Briney Melon Gose is also very good.

This recipe looks OK, but I would let the watermelon sugar ferment so it's not too sweet.

After about two weeks it became more tart and much less sweet.

I kegged this back on 7/5, ambient temp beer racked onto the watermelon concentrate, then straight to my conditioning keezer @34F. I did try a sample 24hrs later and there was no extra sweetness at all and as I mentioned before the concentrate was super-sweet. Great beer, could use a tad more melon flavor, this is for a wedding at the beginning of August so I may make a little more concentrate to add to it.

Thanks to the OP for the recipe.

I love sour beer.

I totally agree. On my version of a briny melon Gose, I find mine most similar to Anderson Valley that you mentioned. I use L Plantarum and the ph I target is 3.20. This is key since a small amount of sugar in 16 ounces of watermelon juice concentrate will easily be masked by the tartness of the low ph in a nicely balanced sort of way.

To give the beer a faint reddish hue, I make a cup of strong hibiscus petal tea to pitch at the same time as the concentrate. This gives the beer a bit of watermelon appearance, plus the hibiscus has an interesting tart flavor that plays well in this beer.

I'd like to mention the watermelon concentrate process comes compliments of @KeyWestBrewing who graciously shared his process with me and others on HBT several years ago.

Last edited:
Way too sweet. It tastes like unfermented fruit juice to my palate, which I don't really enjoy.

I dont like watermelon ,never have even as a kid. My mom would buy them and Id take maybe a bite or two then give it to someone else. Anyway, I think GZ tastes a bit like Redbull, which again ,I dont like.
But,strange as it is, I DO like this particular beer. My son likes it which is more the point of why Im wanting to brew it.

Brewed my Gose yesterday . Nice drizzly day always good for brewing. Fairly easy recipe .
3.25 lbs German Pilsner malt, 5 lbs Wheat malt ,0.5 lb rice hulls and 2 lbs acidulated malt(added after first conversion rest between 144-149*F) .
Later- Santiam Hops(1oz at start of 60 minute boil),and at the last 10 minutes- 1 oz ground coriander and .75 oz Hawaiian Pink Sea Salt.
While that was mashing (60 min) I took the 1/2 gallon of frozen watermelon and did a stove top reduction instead of the freeze and thaw/drip method. After 4 hours of reducing I got a pint of watermelon thin syrup, after taking a lot of pulp out during the process.
I'll add the watermelon reduction later.
IBU -12
SRM- 4
Target OG was 1.048 for an expected ABV of 4.7 .Normally I take a pre-boil reading and then a post...I only did a post-boil OG and I ended up with 1.052 so I'm expecting a solid 5.2% and then some after the watermelon juice is added ,possibly a 5.5% .
Pitched K-97 yeast around 4pm ...and shoved a blow off tube in it right away and instead of the other end going into a gallon jug, for some reason I just put a water bottle under it . This morning I woke up to a mess of yeasty goodness all over my countertop and it was going to town. I'll let this go until the weekend or so then add the watermelon until it finishes out.

about the watermelon juice concentrate. I did it two ways .

First one was a 1/2 gallon reduced on the stovetop in a saucepan. Removed a lot of the pectin/pulp material. Still left a very watermelon pink color ,in a bit of a thin syrup. Probably reduced the liquid by 1/2 . At the least it has been pasteurized by the heat before I put it in a clean growler until I add it .

second way - I took the full gallon jug and did the freeze thaw thing twice . the juice that came out was way clearer ,not much pink at all but still tasted sweet.

should I add them together and reboil to reduce again before adding or ..
just add one for color and taste or the other for taste only?

my mind says combine both and reboil

I added them together and reduced again. Today was day 6. Cooled and added to the carboy. Tasted like snocone syrup. Didnt put the blow off tube in right away like I know I should have. After mowing the 3 acres I came back in the basement to the airlock in full fermentation overload mode. Blow off tube installed ...didnt lose but maybe a few ounces. Now I wait.

I added them together and reduced again. Today was day 6. Cooled and added to the carboy. Tasted like snocone syrup. Didnt put the blow off tube in right away like I know I should have. After mowing the 3 acres I came back in the basement to the airlock in full fermentation overload mode. Blow off tube installed ...didnt lose but maybe a few ounces. Now I wait.

I recommend adding a hibiscus tincture at kegging/bottling, provides a great visual boost with very little flavor/aroma impact.

Back