Victory Prima Pils Recipe from Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk816

Reaction score
Victory Prima Pils - Clone
Victory Brewing Company
Directions given by Victory’s Bill Covaleski

Targets:
O.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.011
IBU 52
SRM 3
ABV 5.5%

Batch Size: 15 gallon

Malt:
27 lbs German Pilsner
0.5 lbs Acid Malt

Boil: 90 min

Hops (Leaf):

Sladek 45 min 3.5 oz

Spalt Select 30 min 2.0 oz
Tettnanger 30 min 2.0 oz

Tettnanger 15 min 1.0 oz
Czech Saaz 15 min 2.0 oz

Spalt Select 10 min 1.0 oz
Czech Saaz 10 min 1.0 oz

Sladek 05 min 1.0 oz
Sladek 05 min 1.0 oz [should this be 1 min?]

Yeast: Not identified

Process:

Dough in @ 122 F (8.25 gallon watter assuming 1.2 qts/lb)
Protein Rest 20 min (pH should be 5.2-5.3)
Increase mash temp to 149 F (add 6.08 gallons at 210, or 11.97 gallons at 180)
Sacc Rest 60 min
Recirculation through 155 degree water.
Sparge at 170 F until 18 gal
Boil 90 min (add hops per schedule)
Chill to 60 Degrees
Ferment at 52-55 degreees
Lager for 4 weeks 34-38 Degrees F

Yeah, I thought there would have been more interest. If you brew it, please let us know how it turns out. I still have not brewed it since I am too impatient for lagers. Plus, I have had a hard time locating Czech Sladek hops. Sladek is a Saaz hybrid, and some have said Saaz or Tettnanger are good substitutes. Spalt Select is also sometimes hard to find as well, so I would recommend regular German Spalt or Tettnanger. I think any sort of combination of noble hops would work. The key to this brew is that it is way over hopped for a pilsner. 52 IBU!

Yeah, I thought there would have been more interest. If you brew it, please let us know how it turns out. I still have not brewed it since I am too impatient for lagers. Plus, I have had a hard time locating Czech Sladek hops. Sladek is a Saaz hybrid, and some have said Saaz or Tettnanger are good substitutes. Spalt Select is also sometimes hard to find as well, so I would recommend regular German Spalt or Tettnanger. I think any sort of combination of noble hops would work. The key to this brew is that it is way over hopped for a pilsner. 52 IBU!

Yep, I looked all over the internet for Sladek last night. No luck.

I've brewed lots of German Pilsners. At least 10 or 15 times! I really want to use the right hops with this one. I'll keep looking.

Yeah, I thought there would have been more interest. If you brew it, please let us know how it turns out. I still have not brewed it since I am too impatient for lagers. Plus, I have had a hard time locating Czech Sladek hops.
Guess we'll have to wait till this season's crop is ready to get some Sladek hops. So how did you get the recipe from the brewer?
I'd really like to hear how they make their Kirsch Gose. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

It's a great beer and a good clone would be nice. But I've essentially made this before (I.e. Pilsner malt + acid malt, using 3-step mash) and found the results utterly boring. I don't know how pro Brewers and ze Germans make such good beer out of that, but I'm pretty sure the secret is NOT listed in the above recipe!

I was just searching the internet for Prima Pils clones and I came across a local homebrew supply store that hosted someone from Victory for a "Brew Prima Pils" clone night. In one of the photos on the blog I was able to zoom in and read the brew sheet. I don't believe it was supposed to be made widely available. It has since been deleted. However, I don't think the secret is in the recipe, but rather technique, as SpeedYellow points out below.

I think we can all agree brewing a proper pilsner comes down to skill and technique. I do think the hop bill is interesting, and I think fresh quality whole leaf hops makes a difference. The quality of the pilsner base malt probably a key factor too. And of course, who knows what the water profile is.

Back