Thoughts... Cheap alternative to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoZiT

Reaction score
OK, first things first. I live in Japan and space is, well, not so spacey.

Second, after reading a bunch from wortmonger's pressurized fermentation thread, I am determined to move in that direction. Of course, I need keg dispensing hardware and kegs. Kegs here are mostly sanke type, 10 or 19 liters. There is one store that will import new corneys, but if I want several of them, this is just not an option. I haven't found much in the way of used corneys. Equipment is MUCH more expensive here than a lot the online shops I see in the states.

Most beer servers I see here (yes, even in restaurants) aren't the type that will chill a complete keg in a concealed cooled environment like a kegerator. Instead, they are a lot like wort chillers/cooler units. The keg and the CO2 sit outside of the unit. Beer passes through a coiled hose in a chilled area (fridge portion). Beer comes out nice and cold. I've seen these in auctions, a whole system for less than $300 (CO2 seems to be really expensive, too), even less if one waits long enough. In fact, here is one, albeit in Japanese...

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r80173613

Any thoughts? Pros/cons? (for homebrew)

So, it's an electric jockey box? Interesting - haven't seen anything like that here before.

Using such a device implies the kegs aren't being kept cool, the down side being how well the brews therein will keep at whatever the prevailing ambient happens to be.

If you brew small batches and don't keep them around for long, that would mitigate that aspect...

Cheers!

That's actually a pretty cool setup.

I've never seen one here in the states, either, but then around here jockey boxes are generally used for portability, not space saving. And the style of jockey box I'm accustomed to seeing would be a huge PITA in a permanent setup since you'd have to run to the store to buy ice just about every day. (Not to mention that even the cooler and ice type cost darn near that much to set up anyway)

There are certain beers that might not take kindly to extended storage at room temp. But then again, I would hazard a guess that most who get into the home brewing hobby don't often keep a tapped keg around long enough for that to become a major issue.

wow, quick reply! thanx!

Room temps... good points. winter wouldn't be much to worry about, altho summers can be pretty unbearable at times. Like you said, kegs wouldn't last very long here, anyway. Three beer-lovers here.

Living in the countryside, we have a huge fridge for storing harvested rice that stays at 19 deg C and even another at 5 C. Perfect for a fermentation chamber. If I store the kegs there until ready to drink, I'd assume that the main fermentation is complete before making their way to the house.

If ferm is complete and conditioned, would storing at room temp (in keg, pressurized) be harmful?

Lastly, I agree that this seems more like a portable system. They actually have portable versions here that cool using ice...

So I'm seeing the advantages as space-saving and cost-saving. Con is storing keg at room temp.

Con is storing keg at room temp.

This is a con if you're expecting a keg to last several months, and even then only for certain styles. With 3 beer drinkers in the house, I would think it would be a challenge to get 5 gallons to last a week.

one example:

width 30.5 cm ... 12 in
depth 33.5 cm ... 13.2 in
height 54 cm ... 21 in

mini fridges here wouldn't be able to accommodate a keg, I think. our upstairs one barely accommodates SWMBO's snacks and a few cans. Start considering the price on full-size fridges, even used, and I find the price on this server very attractive. Those flip-top dedicated freezers would be big enough, and start at around $300. But again, space also makes this dedicated jockey-box attractive.

Ive seen a few of these in the UK, not the same design, and you still have to use your own taps....
_home_user_MyDocuments_Image0944.jpg

They all look like this, and I'm pretty sure, although I havent seen one in action, that the beer just runs straight through it too cool.

In fact, here is one, albeit in Japanese...

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r80173613

Any thoughts? Pros/cons? (for homebrew)
I think it is an excellent unit that would be well suited for you. I see no problems with that setup. The price is excellent also. I wish it was available here.

You might want to look around on micromatic.com to see some of the similar units that are available here, all over the top in price by comparison.

Now the concern raised in this thread about the quality of kegged beer held at room temps. I do not see this as a problem at all if the beer is properly kegged and carbonated in the first place.

Allow me to take this to another example with a question. When you bottle beer, what is the shelf life of that beer? 3 weeks? A month? Maybe a little more? Kegged beer is no different and should remain in excellent condition for a minimum of several months without concern. Plus, it would be lot longer than that for high gravity brews IMHO.

P-J

P-J... I know I'm a little late on this, but thanks for some good points.

I decided to go ahead and get one of these soon. When I have the budget, I'll build a 4-5 tap keezer, but this will do for now. In fact, when I go keezer, I can probably remove the taps and make one kick-ass wort chiller out of this bad boy.

Thanks everyone.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.". --

Latest posts

Back