The Amazing Carbonation Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loud Brewing

Reaction score
20191218_212039.jpg

I started cold crashing multiple beers tonight for xmas/new years and unfortunately I only have 2 modified pressure lids for my fermonsters. In the past I would use a mylar balloon with co2 to prevent suck back of oxygen, however this time it dawned on me to use a 2 liter bottle and a carb cap. Purge bottle, add 10psi and hook up to fermenter, easy as can be.
Hands down, these are the most useful little gadgets in my brewhouse. I use them for everything from oxygen free introduction of gelatin finings, oxy free dryhopping in my fermzilla, purging my closed transfer lines before I move from fermenter to keg, making hop water and seltzer, quick carbing dregs and the list goes on.
How do you use carb caps?

Cool! Can you give us step by step instructions for those too?
Sure thing.

When I do a closed transfer of finings to a keg, I simply use a piece of tubing on the barbed end of the carb cap, add finings to pet bottle, screw carb cap on, purge a couple times by adding co2 then slightly unscrewing the cap, then pressurize bottle to approx 10psi. Make sure psi in keg is lower than bottle and connect ball lock to keg. Now you can add finings to a cold pressurized keg without opening lid and introducing oxygen.

The fermzilla dryhopping is pretty straight forward, purge collection jar full of hops and throw the handle.

As far as purging closed transfer line goes, I will put a carb cap on a crushed pet bottle, pressurize fermenter and connect transfer line to bottle. When the flow of beer reaches the bottle and all oxy is out of the line, disconnect the pet bottle and connect to keg.

Sure thing.

When I do a closed transfer of finings to a keg, I simply use a piece of tubing on the barbed end of the carb cap, add finings to pet bottle, screw carb cap on, purge a couple times by adding co2 then slightly unscrewing the cap, then pressurize bottle to approx 10psi. Make sure psi in keg is lower than bottle and connect ball lock to keg. Now you can add finings to a cold pressurized keg without opening lid and introducing oxygen.

The fermzilla dryhopping is pretty straight forward, purge collection jar full of hops and throw the handle.

As far as purging closed transfer line goes, I will put a carb cap on a crushed pet bottle, pressurize fermenter and connect transfer line to bottle. When the flow of beer reaches the bottle and all oxy is out of the line, disconnect the pet bottle and connect to keg.

Thanks - can’t wait to try these!

Back