Spa Panel Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecked

Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I picked up an Eaton 50amp GFCI BR Type Spa Panel and I am having a hell of a time deciphering the wiring schematic. If I'm reading this correct, line in comes into the panel on the left side of the breaker and line out goes out the right side of the breaker? The ground and common will be self explanatory if I can figure out the line in/out.

image-3937295502.jpg

image-3917368797.jpg

The two supply/incoming "hot" wires go to those two big screw lugs on the left and right sides of the cross, so to speak. The two hot wires to the load go to the screw lugs on the bottom of the breakers.

whoaru99 said:
The two supply/incoming "hot" wires go to those two big screw lugs on the left and right sides of the cross, so to speak. The two hot wires to the load go to the screw lugs on the bottom of the breakers.

I knew it was gonna be simple like that! I swear the schematic was like reading Greek for me. Thanks whoaru99!

raouliii said:
And the load neutral should attach to the lug on the breaker, not the neutral bus bar in the upper right.

Yep, found this out the hard way. Kudos to Dennis at High Gravity for walking me through it.

Wrecked:
At least you asked. I wasn't thinking and wired it backwards (line-in to terminals on the bottom of the breaker and the load cord to my panel off of the spa panel lugs.
Somehow it all worked but when I went to test the GFCI, I fried it and let out the magic smoke... :smack:

Once I wired it up correctly the same breaker functions but not as GFCI. Now I need to figure out if I want to replace the breaker or just get another spa panel. ;)

Back