Single Counter-Pressure Bottle Filler...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxrob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not that there is anything wrong with a Blichmann Beer Gun but if you do enough bottling you know pulling that trigger after a few cases gets to be pretty old. So I researched the CP fillers. I wanted to be able to "free hand" the fill and be able to do 12 or 22 oz bottles during the same run... quick adjustability was important for my design. I purchased one of the Morebeer.com Counter Pressure Bottle Fillers and made an adjustable stand with the CP unit attached to a block that pivots. The base plate is a stainless low surface area (a lot of bumps) plate so the bottles slide in and out easy while the rubber plug is compressed for a good seal. Now maybe we can avoid carpal tunnel surgery altogether. :p

Since this first picture was taken I've actually made a change to the unit that removes the pressure control valve (regulator). I found that taking over the counter-pressure control manually with a 1/4 turn stainless ball valve was far more productive (bottle fill time) and clean as I have a bleed hose off the other side of the valve routed to a growler to catch the overflow. This allows me to fill the bottles right to the bottom of the valve every time and I catch the small amount of foam overflow instead of it drooling out out of the original regulator assembly. I'll get some pictures of the mod and post them up soon.

Unit shown with a 22oz bottle....

BottleFiller768x1024.jpg

I've built a similar stand. I'm trying to figure out the easiest and best way to clean the filler before/after use. What is your process?

We use iodophor to flush the fluid line after each use. The filler tube is cleaned and sanitized before and after each use. You also have to consider the overflow (whether you stick with the regulator or go with a 1/4 turn ball valve like we did for maintaining back pressure) The overflow needs to be cleaned and sanitized as well since the beer in the bottle contacts the overflow tube each time a bottle is filled. We run some Starsan through it every once in awhile and replace the fluid fluid line at the same time. Never had any infections... I'm looking for some wood to knock on. :)

Rob

Removed the std pressure regulator and replaced it with a 1/4 turn ball valve with a drain hose. Much faster fills and backpressure can be controlled with a quick ball valve adjustment. Also allows a quick pressure bleed before removing the bottle eliminating face spray.

I know it has been a while but do you know that thread size on the 1/4 turn valve? I like your idea and would like to order the valve at the same time. Did you get a stainless valve? Did you buy it at Granger or McMaster Carr or locally?
Thanks

Back