Simple 240v Controller Build Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I'm looking for a thread detailing a simple build for a single element 240v system. It will likely be for eBIAB so it doesn't need to control multiple elements or multiple pumps. I would like it to include a PID though. There are so many on here that are for multiple elements or multiple pumps with emergency shutoffs. All overkill for me. Please help I'm drowning in search results!

ignore the e-stop (red and green wires) and there's your simple PID (no pump) circuit

Wire chart:
Red = L1
Grey = L2
Yellow = Neutral
Green = Ground

teledyne1.jpg

Here's a drawing hat has 3 separate PID's and 2 pumps - yeah, I know it's more than you want BUT
if you look at the pic, you'll see the delineation between each of the 3 pid's and the 2 pumps

Really not that difficult once you see through the quagmire (says he who built basically this circuit antha few additions)

You'll basically be picking the boil circuit (right 1/3 of the drawing)

Auberin-wiring1-a13-Rob-May-SYL-2352-4500w.jpg

Here you go:

Minimal DSPR110 240V only.jpg

The DSPR110 has been replaced by the DSPR120 which has different terminal assignments, so those need to be adjusted. The DSPR is a better choice than a traditional PID (more stable, easier boil control.)

You can even leave out the DSPR power switch, and have the unit be powered up as soon as the system is plugged in.

Brew on :mug:

Good information. I'm getting a 4 wire gfci 220v circuit put in my garage. So do I understand it correctly that the neutral wire is not used in the wiring of the pid?

Good information. I'm getting a 4 wire gfci 220v circuit put in my garage. So do I understand it correctly that the neutral wire is not used in the wiring of the pid?

The DSPR controllers, and most PID's will work on either 120V or 240V mains power, so no need to use the neutral. If you want to add anything that needs 120V (like a pump) then you need the neutral wire. Definitely get the 4-wire circuit installed, as it gives you more flexibility if you want to change your system.

Brew on :mug:

In the last wiring diagram each line 1 and 2 that go to the element have 25 amp breakers, does that equal 50 at the element? Sorry if this is a stupid question just trying to learn a little bit.

Back