PID Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socmat23

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this is my first post, but I have been using this site for a while now doing as much research as possible. I am in the middle of trying to wire up my control panel and am having a little difficulty with the PID's. I have a friend that uses these for work, and was able to grab me a couple for free. However, that means not only do they not match what Kal used, but I have two different styles. Please let me know if my logic or thoughts are incorrect.

Now when it comes to wiring, I understand the basics pretty well, especially when its accompanied with the great pictures and information that Kal has provided.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the alarm set up.
alarms.jpg

Sometimes it helps me to talk it out. In this case it seems to me that power is coming into each PID on 13 so the alarm has power, and the reason 14 and 1 are all jumped together is because most of these PID's have two alarm settings. By jumping them when either alarm trips, on any of the PIDS it will make a circuit causing the red light and horn to go on. The neutral is just being jumped through so it can share a line back to the bus board.

One of the PIDs I have is a Mypin T. here is the wiring diagram:
fS8CKW3.jpg

On this one would I have to hook power from the hot bus to #12 and jump it to #6 so both alarms have power? Then jump #11 and #5 and hook that to the alarm switch?
The other style I have is an Omron E5CN Here is a copy of that wiring Diagram.
KyRbdbm.jpg

On this one would I just have to hook the line from the hot bus to #8? And then Jump #7 and #6 to the alarm switch?
Also while I have you looking at them. On the Mypin, the thermocouple hooks up to #7,#8,#9? And the output to the SSR comes from #3 and #4?
And on the Omron the thermocouple hooks up to #3,#4,#5 and #1,#2 hook up to the SSR?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks

These can be pretty confusing when you first encounter them and my advice may not do much good, but here goes. I have 3 TA4-SNR variants (okay, one is a TD4). I do not use AL2 on my control panel, because my -SNR variants don't have that circuit. :) I can't recall seeing anybody's setup ever using a 2nd alarm.

Pin 1 is power (hot) and is jumpered to 5 to provide power to the alarm circuit. Pin 2 is the neutral power return. 3 and 4 are the DC output to your solid-state relay. 6 is the power output to your alarm circuit (mine goes to a switch just like Kal's). When the alarm temp is reached, the circuit between 5 and 6 (AL1) closes, so power goes from pin 5 (tapped from 1) through the closed circuit and out pin 6, powering the alarm. Obviously the alarm then needs a neutral return to the power source of your control panel.

Pin 7 is empty but jumpered to 10. 8 and 9 are the like-colored wires from your RTD probe. 10 is the third, different-colored wire from the RTD. 11 and 12 are empty on my TA4-SNR variants, but on SSR variants that's your AL2 alarm output. These are pretty rare, I have one that I'm not using but most people have the -SNR. If you have screws at 11 and 12, you have the AL2 version but you probably won't use it. If I'm understanding you, though, the way you described your plan would work to connect both alarm circuits to the alarm.

Knowing this, we can make some good guesses about the Omron version.

Main power from the hot bus should go to 9, neutral return to 10. These could be reversed, but it doesn't really matter and it's not labeled so just go with it. This is like 1 and 2 on the TA4.

1 and 2 will be the control voltage to your SSR. This is like 3 and 4 on the TA4.

3 should be the different-colored wire from your RTD, 4 and 5 will be the like-colored wires.

Jumper the hot wire from 9 to pin 8, then run pin 7 to your alarm, which will then return to your neutral bus in your panel. I don't think you need pin 6 at all.

What the Omron is missing is a jumper from the third RTD wire, which on the TA4 is (I believe) used as a reference baseline for the probe to correct for wire resistance. I could be wrong about that.

So, yes, basically what you were thinking. :)

Back