Pecan Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfpro

Reaction score
I have not worked out the recipe yet, but I wanted to add some roasted pecans to a pale ale. I don't know if I should add to the boil, or to the secondary ferm. I am afraid of off flavors if I add to the boil. Has anyone ever used them in a batch. I know Abita makes a pecan beer but I have never had it. Thanks

I am looking for aroma morer than flavor....

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

Original Gravity
Final Gravity
International Bittering Units
(IBU's)
Color (Lovibond)
Alcohol Content by Volume
4.02%
Calories per 12-oz serving
Grains used
Maris Otter, caramel malt, wheat, roasted pecans
Hops used
Domestic magnum and tettnang
Flavor Profile
Sweet with a soft maltiness, lots of caramel flavors
Aroma Profile
Nutty and caramel
Ideal Serving Temp
43 degrees F
Ideal Carbonation Level
Moderate, 2.5 Volumes

to tell u the truth chief, i have done alot of research and askin around about " how to work with pecans" well i talked to one of the brewer of lazy magnolia in mississippi and well he couldn't tell me the recipe exactly, he did tell me how to use the pecans.

i was told to bake the pecans at 350 in the oven for 15 min then spread them out into a bunch of those little paper sandwich bags. use a bunch of the bags that way the paper will soak up the oil from the pecans. after they cool chop them up and bake again for 15 min. put them in some fresh paper bags and like i said before let the paper wick up all the oils. i was told to do this process 4 times and don't burn them! and after there done let em sit in the paper bags for a couple days to get some of the strong roasted flavor off of them. after that just do a mash with the pecans and your special grains. 155 - 160 for an hour to hour and a half ya know . then sparge at 170

also a couple guys have talked about wanting to put them in the boil. havent heard anything about the primary or secondary.

Back