PAA (Pineapple apple apple)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPiglet

Reaction score
1 ripe pineapple
1 gallon Martinelli's apple juice (pasteurized, no preservatives)
equal parts brown and white cane sugar
1/3 lbs honey

Mix together apple juice and honey by pouring 1/3 of the juice into primary. Add honey to remaining juice in the bottle and SHAKE. Add this to primary when fully mixed (can't see any honey resting on the bottom of the jug). Add equal parts cane sugar and brown sugar to bring gravity up to 1.080. Peel and juice the pineapple and add it to the primary. I highly recommend a full sized juicer for this, it will take forever to do it by hand. Drop a campden tablet and let it sit for 24 hours covered with a towel. After 24 hours pitch yeast and fit an airlock. You can rehydrate it if you want, but it isn't required. After ten days rack to secondary and add pectic enzyme. You will have lots of sediment and haze from the fresh juice otherwise. Let it ferment for another 20 days. Rack again and add campden tablet and a dose of potassium sorbate. Backsweeten using approximately 1 cup of brown sugar added to 1 cup of warm water. Let it sit for five more days and bottle. It is good after a couple weeks but it is GREAT after a couple months. It went well with spicy dry rubbed baby back ribs.

Cheers!:mug:

Any chance you'd be willing to take a guess on the volume of pinapple juice you ended up adding? I don't have a juicer so if/when this goes down here it will involve pasteurized pineapple juice.

Thanks!

Since creating this recipe I've refined it.

4 gallons of apple juice
1 gallon pineapple juice
¼ tsp ground clove
7oz molasses
18 oz cover or orange blossom honey

Heat 1 gallon of apple juice, DO NOT BOIL. Combine honey and molasses in hot juice.
While waiting for juice to heat combine apple juice, pineapple juice and clove in a fermenter.
Once the honey and molasses are thoroughly combined, pour juice/honey/molasses mixture in to the fermenter.
Crush 5 Camden tabs and add to the juice. Cover with a towel and let it sit for a day.
O.G. Should be about 1.065.
Make a year starter with Safale S-O4 and pitch. Leave in primary for 10 days then rack to secondary. Gravity should be about 1.022
Leave in secondary for a month then rack again. Gravity should be 1.000.

At this point you can bottle it as a still dry cider or you can back sweeten for a medium sweet carbonated cider.
I use 6 cups brown sugar added to 12 ounces hot water.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: If you re-sweeten for carbonation you have to pasteurize the bottles so they don't explode.

That answers my first question!

Two more for you:

1.) Ground cloves? Really? I see it's only a 1/4 tsp to 5 gallons, but that stuff has a kick. What does it bring to the party?

AND

2.) What do you use for backsweetening? FAJC? Or something else?

The clove adds a little earthy spice. Add or subtract as you please. It isn't essential.

I just use the brown sugar/water mix for sweetening and carbonation.

1416055250.jpg

Off... the... hook!

I made a one gallon test batch of this, went with 12 ounces of pineapple juice instead of juicing one pineapple, and backsweetened with FAJC.

Even after only one month in primary, it was AMAZING.

Thanks for the great recipe! I see a full batch this getting started very soon.

Off... the... hook!

I made a one gallon test batch of this, went with 12 ounces of pineapple juice instead of juicing one pineapple, and backsweetened with FAJC.

Even after only one month in primary, it was AMAZING.

Thanks for the great recipe! I see a full batch this getting started very soon.

Did you add the spices or use the original recipe?

Did you add the spices or use the original recipe?

I was really interested in the pineapple over everything else, so I kept it simple:

12 oz pineapple juice
0.4# brown sugar
pinch of nutrient
pectic enzyme (appropriate amt for 1 gal)
Notty for the yeast

Primary was done in about four weeks. IIRC, I ended up letting it sit a couple more weeks just because I couldn't find time to bottle. BUT when time presented itself I bottled with FAJC to taste (my taste testers like their ciders SWEET) and let it carb.

I normally pasteurize, but I just put it in the fridge and it was gone in NO time, so no worries there.

I'm intrigued to try molasses: I use so much brown sugar in my cider I'd be interested to see what really kicking that flavor up would do. Cloves are just SO potent, and I've had recipes (cooking, not brewing) get ruined by the stuff, so I'm hesistant on that one.

But like I said, just playing it simple, this stuff is GOOD. The amount of pineapple kick that it gets from only a 10% pineapple juice addition is more than any other juice I've ever used.

Have this on right now Ike as per your recipe except using s-04.
Been brewing at around 12C/56f for 10 days. Down to 1.03 and smelling very reminsecent of pineapple wine I had in Maui many years ago.
So far - lovely
SG - 1.062

Mines at 1.015
16C
Racked to slow it down so it's not moving as quickly now

Still has some of the pineapple fermentation finish (AKA Vomit'ish) but it's getting better. I didn't use fresh though - used canned juice and won't do that again....
Just in case anyone wants to use canned...that's been mu experience (non-concentrated juice from dole I believe)

Still has some of the pineapple fermentation finish (AKA Vomit'ish) but it's getting better. I didn't use fresh though - used canned juice and won't do that again....
Just in case anyone wants to use canned...that's been mu experience (non-concentrated juice from dole I believe)

Huh. All my work has been with canned, it works great in this cider as well as my ginger beer.

Or at least, I THINK, it works well. If it works well, maybe fresh squeezed would be even better?..?...! :ban:

Going to give this a try again and use an alternate yeast. I'll report back! and fresh pineapple juice

I'm on my way down to the basement now to fire up a 5 gallon batch. If I don't post back within 8 weeks... you all need to flame me, as I hate it when people don"t post results. Good, bad or otherwise , you'll know how my batch came out.
Cheers

If that was ment for me....I have another batch brewing using cote des blanc but it's young and not worth reporting on yet.

My previous batch is still in the carboy after almost a year. It's still.....meh. I did not use fresh pineapple or fresh press Apple buy the vomit phase (thanks to buytric acid in pineapple) is finally over.

I do however have a pineapple wine that after one month is lovely. Needs aging but already Good and beautifully clear. Way better than my pineapple Apple experiences at least at this point. Time will tell. The wine had no vomit phase (yet)

Last edited:
Racked to 2ndary the other day. SG was down to 1.030... sample tasted like watered down aj with a touch of pineapple. I'm sure the flavor will improve. Well, maybe not SURE, but hoping.It smelled great at 3 days in.

I bottled 6 still and added priming sugar to the rest. It’s not carbed yet, but swmbo likes it. My basement is a bit on the cool side so probably another week or two for another update.

Somehow it didn’t carb much. But it is aging nicely. Next time I’ll do 3 cans of juice instead of 2. SWMBO likes it.

@AkTom There's been a few variations to this recipe bounced around in here. What did you use for your 5 Gallon version? I'm thinking I might want to give it a try.

@rdback i followed the recipe except for the clove. It is good. It did go ahead and carb up. It just took a while. I’m making another batch. I upped the pineapple to 2 gallons. Actually a little less because I use canned juice. Fresh pineapple is too expensive. Cans are easy too. I added the cloves this time. I used S-05. Should have used a blowoff tube...
Absolutely give it a shot.

Last edited:
I used in one gallon, one fresh pineapple (juiced) and topped off with fresh pressed apple and cote de blanc yeast. Was amazing. Not like the original but I will now make this in big volume. I don’t care for beer yeast and cote sea blanc holds into some residual sweetness. Was more than drinkable within a month. Better with more time.

Think the starting gravity’s was about 1.66 without addition of sugar.

Is anyone finding that using canned juice has a real vomit phase? It does pas but takes time.

I’m also making 10G of pineapple wine it definitely does go through that too but more subtle...

this sounds delicious i will have to try this recipe, 86 the clove, not much of a fan of the clove. do you get some apple flavor in there still or mostly pineapple ?

Pineapple is strong burnt here’s is apple there. More like the apple is a pleasing reductions of pineapple flavour. I made two batches of pineapple wine/cider after making this and ya....pineapple is strongggggg flavour. Almost too much but very light bodied. More refreshing than anything. I think it’ll be great carbonated and over ice. Like a tropical lemonade.

Pineapple is strong burnt here’s is apple there. More like the apple is a pleasing reductions of pineapple flavour. I made two batches of pineapple wine/cider after making this and ya....pineapple is strongggggg flavour. Almost too much but very light bodied. More refreshing than anything. I think it’ll be great carbonated and over ice. Like a tropical lemonade.
Right on, i definitely want more apple flavor but with some pineapple in there as well. I wanna experiment with this. I like a carbonated cider, so will definitely bottle carbonate this. Ill let you guys know how it works out. Will probably give it a go in in september when the temps fall around here. Been super hot and sticky. mid to low 80's in the house even with the A/C on.

Thanks for the tips!

Back