Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3rd this year after going 6 1/2 years stuck at 1 broken ( others have been previously accounted for). I must be getting fracking old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine got drunk on a Barley wine and ended up in a murder suicide scenario with thermometer nr 5 a year or so ago Since that black day I just let the yeast do what they do.

On my 3rd but I use my refractometer most of the time now.

Should these be added?
Or were they already included before?

I'm still on my first, which I've had since the late '90's... No brag, just fact, but I thought I'd document that so when it goes, I'll be all set to add to the total.

Over 15 years, 4 total. I don't own one anymore. Last one I had lasted less than a week so I gave up. I brew once or twice a month, now with refractometer only. I used to check the refractometer against the hydrometer, and I think I have enough data to trust the charts within a point or two. And really, what am I going to do about it if my OG is out by 1 or 2 points - or my FG is out by 1 or 2 points? It's still beer and pretty damned good beer.

Total: 2283

#2 had collision this week with a sink. Wife was smart when she purchased purchased two and put one up where I couldn't get to/know about it.

Yesterday my hydrometer (my 3rd) was in the filled graduated cylinder when I bumped it while it was sitting on top of the keezer. The cylinder went over sending the sample and the hydrometer onto the concrete floor. We're talking a 3 foot drop onto concrete. To my amazement, the hydrometer was intact, still whole!!! Last one I broke never left the top of the keezer. Unbelievable.

So in all my 12+ years of brewing I've been using the same hydrometer. Last night it finally bit the dust: was carrying a bunch of odds and ends down to my mancave, and when I bent over to move one of my cleaning solution bottles out of the way it slipped out :(

2286!

I have just broken my third (in about 4 months). I ran across this thread because after the last break, I was wondering if anyone had any info about a more durable design. I have a refractometer too, but with FG, I need the hydrometer.

I just ran across the 'Herculometer' Made of polycarbonate plastic instead of glass..

Anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/herculometer-precision-hydrometer-1000-1070

[Moderator]That puts us at 2289!

After breaking several glass hydrometers, I have to ask. Why isn't everyone use one of these polycarbonate hydrometers? The reviews are good. The price is inline.

For me, the only downside is that It it's disturbing to line the pockets of Budweiser, but it appears that Northern Brewer is the only company that sells these things.

This past winter I had a hydrometer nightmare.
I broke 3 within 1 month.
I get nervous when I pick up my hydrometer mow!

[Moderator]So that brings us to 2292!

Wonderful, yet another damn thread to follow.
IMG_20180810_133753.jpg

My Herculometer made of polycarbonate platistic arrived last week. It seems to be made well and is pretty much what was expected. It should take care of the broken hydrometer problem. It cost $17, but after breaking 3 hydrometers, it is well worth it.

My Herculometer made of polycarbonate platistic arrived last week. It seems to be made well and is pretty much what was expected. It should take care of the broken hydrometer problem. It cost $17, but after breaking 3 hydrometers, it is well worth it.
Congrats!

I still wouldn't put it to a mechanical stress or drop test, that thin polycarbonate shell, although a bit more resilient and flexible than glass, must still be somewhat fragile, especially with the weighted bottom.

It's kinda puzzling why we don't see more of those poly hydrometers around.

Congrats!

I still wouldn't put it to a mechanical stress or drop test, that thin polycarbonate shell, although a bit more resilient and flexible than glass, must still be somewhat fragile, especially with the weighted bottom.

It's kinda puzzling why we don't see more of those poly hydrometers around.

The site makes a claim 'the Herculometer® is virtually unshatterable.' hahaa I don't know if I would go that far.. but it does seem pretty hearty.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/herculometer-triple-scale-hydrometer

I too am puzzled why we keep buying the glass ones and breaking them.. I figured there had to be some kind of downside to the plastic one.. so I posted the question.. but got not answer about it.. I guess it comes down to what we are used to..

I don't like when manufacturers call something "virtually xxxxx" because we don't live in a virtual world; we live in a real world. So what they are saying is that it can be shattered but unlikely. I wonder if you really break it if they'll replace it or if you only virtually break it. /annoyed

I was luck and picked up a supply of them at a moving sale, 3 of them. Last week I broke a Hydrometeer and a 6 gal. carboy

2297. Decided to fill my cylinder first this time. I usually fill it last, but I figured I would get the bubbles from the first pump in the hydrometer sample. The movement from pumping my auto syphon knocked the cylinder over, hydrometer didn’t make it. Kind of bummed because I got a refractometer for my birthday and wanted to compare the readings. This batch was a partigyle so at least I got my big beer measured before it broke.

I am on my third in 3 years. I am glad i discovered the joy of using a refractometer or it would be many more by now.

I am on my third in 3 years. I am glad i discovered the joy of using a refractometer or it would be many more by now.

You know, my refractometer is a super nice one and I took a reading for both my strong and my small beer, but the big beer did not agree at all with my hydrometer measurement even with the Sean Terrill calculator. I think I’m doing something wrong. Checked the calibration with water and the refractometer says it is for brewing. I didn’t have the refractometer when I brewed. I measured an SG of 1.120 on brew day with my late hydrometer. Right before I broke it I measured the FG at 1.038. My refractometer read 17 Plato.

Add one for me last weekend. Cleaning IC, one of the connections tapped the full sample and knocked it to the tile floor, broken hydrometer and tube, and a sticky mess to clean up in the kitchen.

total - 2299

2302? damn, i haven't broke a hydrometer in over 10 years! lol, but i'm getting bored with this one, so i thought i'd say that to see if i do! :D

still looking for a single SG scale one, so it's not ALWAYS the scale pointing AWAY from me!

Back