New Redhook bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Anyone else like these?

Redhook.jpg

I'm not a fan of Redhook's beers, but I really liked the look of the new bottles so I've been buying some just for the bottles. The beer is drinkable, but not any of my favorites.

I stopped saving bottles a while ago since I had more than enough for my brewing needs, but I just like these. If it makes sense... it seems like a tall version of a stubby to me.

Anyone else?

I dig em. New packaging looks great too. Wish they would have been out a year ago when I started saving bottles since Long Hammer is a primary purchase in the house.

Not since I use a bench capper. All it means is that I would have to adjust the capper every time I'd use these. It's 9" longnecks all the way for me.......unless I'm using flip-tops, where the capper's irrelevant.

Not since I use a bench capper. All it means is that I would have to adjust the capper every time I'd use these. It's 9" longnecks all the way for me.......unless I'm using flip-tops, where the capper's irrelevant.

I get anal when I bottle and tend to pick out one type of bottles for a batch if I can. So, it would be no problem for me. Adjust at the start of each bottling session and that's it.

Now that you mention it... I haven't tried one of these with the wing capper. Not sure if the shape will work well with it. Hrm.

i like the new bottle design too. And long hammer IPA is on of my favorites. The ESB is quite good too.

Ilike the longhammer as well. I haven't had it for awhile so maybe it's time to refresh my memory.

My brother drinks long hamme so he saves me his bottles, they are pretty cool stubby bottles.

Good point,my Red Baron might have a problem with that short,steep taper on the neck.?...

Just bottled a six pack last week using the Red Barron capper and it worked fine. I was a little nervous that it could possibly break with the short neck so I tested on a couple bottles while wearing some leather gloves incase it would break.

Woah, I might have to start buying that stuff again, even though I think there are much better IPA's in my market. They remind me of the Belhaven bottles a bit, but those are clear glass.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the beer either, but I love the bottles. So, I find it for 6.99 a sixer or 11.99 for a 12 pack and get it. Their wit they have out right now isn't bad on a warm afternoon. The Copper Hook is pretty decent too.

Iggy, Thanks for the test run!

Can't wait until the next time I go down to Washington. Redhook has some awesome beers! Too bad we don't get sh*t for American craft in Canada... :(

Those bottles remind me of gatoraide. It might just be the water droplets though.

Just bottled a six pack last week using the Red Barron capper and it worked fine. I was a little nervous that it could possibly break with the short neck so I tested on a couple bottles while wearing some leather gloves incase it would break.

So do we have a confirmation on this, did they hold carbonation? I'm about to bottle some blueberry ale and would love to use these bad boys :)

Just got back from beach week where I was able to score 36 bottles from my bro-in-law's.

Glad to hear people are having success with these bottles. I've been saving them because I love the shape. Haven't tried putting anything in them yet.

Are they any more sturdy than standard longnecks? I make it point to save all belgian bottles I can get my hands on because of their stength. I rarely bottle in american long necks if I can help it anymore.

Sorry to revive an old thread but that's better than starting a new one. I had the same thought as smokinghole, anybody try using these for a 3-4 volume Belgian? They look a bit stronger than most bottles.

Well I have a case of these now to give a shot with. I have to weigh one and see what it compares to with glass content to other bottles. I presume at this point that they are no more stronger than standard 12oz american long necks.

Thanks smokinghole. Sounds like I'm going to have to drink about 50 Duvels soon.:)

Ah, what a sacrifice I must make for my art.

I am not a huge ipa fan, I do like the taste of the ESB. The beer has poor head retention, but I did drink my 8 six packs so I could use them to brew.

I've bottled a tripel about 3 months ago with these… the other bottles from the batch are highly carbed. I"ve yet to have a bottle break. Planning on keeping the 12 pack together on the shelf for some time.

I just bottled a batch last night and used 12 of these bottles. I used the red baron capper, everything seemed to work fine...

I had a case of these mixed in with my bottles (love their Longhammer IPA). I had two bottles out of the twelve that did not carb up at all. No other problems with any other bottles. I have since thrown them out from the rest of my bottles. P.S. I use the red baron capper.

I rarely bottle anymore, but these are nice bottles.

Now in defense of Redhook and other similar sized breweries - once you get to a certain size you start tossing away the unique low selling beers from your lineup to meet the big corporate profit goals. Double Black Stout being an example of a great beer that is gone.

I like these bottles and purchase more every so often. I also happen to really like their ESB (though a little different from what I consider an ESB). And the Longhammer is a decent IPA. Copper Hook, meh.

I've used these bottles with great success using the wing capper. I haven't treid them on a highly carbed beer yet. But I have used the same bottles for multiple brews with no carbonation issues.

As far as the beer in them I like the ESB and Long Hammer, not a fan of the Copper Hook.

I have been using these bottles EXCLUSIVELY since I started brewing (I like consistency and Redhook is also one of my favorite beers). I use a wing capper, many of my bottles have been reused since my first batch, I sterilize in the oven every time and have had NO sealing problems and only one has developed a crack from the oven. They even have a built in fill line at the top of the neck where I fill to every time which is convenient.

Now in defense of Redhook and other similar sized breweries - once you get to a certain size you start tossing away the unique low selling beers from your lineup to meet the big corporate profit goals. Double Black Stout being an example of a great beer that is gone.

Was that a Redhook beer? If it was I must not have been 21 at that time because I have never heard of it.

I live 15 min from their brewery... :off:pretty much 15 min from several breweries actually, I love the NW... anywho, I don't know how many of their seasonals get out to the rest of the country but in the last 2 years they introduced Copper Hook as a limited release and it stuck as a year round ale now (I really enjoy it). Also they came out with "Wit" which I would say tastes like crap but really it tastes like air... maybe and over-carbed Budlight with less flavor...? But they have a new Pilsner now just called Pilsner and that is a DELICIOUS brew! I'm sure that will stick around.

I do enjoy Redhook. The ESB is pretty good, IPA not bad... the Audible Ale I like quite a bit.

I've got 48 of their bottles. I'm trying to replace a sheit ton of Heinekin bottles I've been using for quite awhile with these. Brown vs green. Although I've never had a problem with the green bottles.

The style is different and I do like a shorter bottle for some reason.

I've enjoyed reading several of the comments in this thread. It's funny to read a statement in a forum that has run through your head a million times on brew day, bottling day... in the liquor store. It's nice to know that others are having the same thoughts that I'm having when I'm considering a beer to buy just because I like the bottle... sort out my bottles before bottling day, making sure that I have the same bottles in a case so that I don't have to adjust the capper... etc...

24 more Redhook bottles for my collection. And in the process, I get to drink some Redhook beer.

I really need to let some of my Heineken bottles go.

Back