Love this simple cider recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bh750

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Been awhile since I've posted or lurked here. I think it was this forum that tipped me off on this simple recipe. I wanted to share my experience since Iove it so much....

When I first discovered the world of cider brewing I tried to go the purist route of getting the right apple cider source. Didn't do too well or horrible.

Then I read about this uber simple recipe using Motts apple juice. And I love it. I buy the juice at Costco at like $4.50 per gallon. Ferment it with Nottingham Ale yeast for about 10 days and that's it. Bam. Kinda like an Angry Orchard for a fraction of the price.

I find myself going back to this recipe time and again for the simplicity and the taste. Love it all around.

Just thought I'd share the experience since I'm pretty sure someone else on this forum turned me onto it.

Lol sorry. So basic I forgot to post it.

Motts apple juice. Obviously not the type that's pasteurized. I buy it for $9 for 2 gallons at Costco. Or is it $4.50. Either way dirt cheap.

I use Nottingham Ale yeast but want to experiment with other.

Ferment it for 8-10 days depending on taste preference.

That's it!

I have made many gallons similar to that, the difference being I add one can of FAJC per gal to raise the ABV and give it a bit more residual apple taste. But still very easy.

Lol sorry. So basic I forgot to post it.

Motts apple juice. Obviously not the type that's pasteurized. I buy it for $9 for 2 gallons at Costco. Or is it $4.50. Either way dirt cheap.

I use Nottingham Ale yeast but want to experiment with other.

Ferment it for 8-10 days depending on taste preference.

That's it!

Bh750- when you say "that's it" what do you mean? Do you then bottle and cap it after 8-10 days? No secondary fermenting? No added sweetener? Thanks!

Bh750- when you say "that's it" what do you mean? Do you then bottle and cap it after 8-10 days? No secondary fermenting? No added sweetener? Thanks!

Hi Ixthys, thats correct. No secondary fermenting. If you want to add sweetener I guess you can but I never think its needed. Now I did forget to mention carbonation. I used to force carbonate mine with a C02 tank, a 2 liter soda bottle and a carbonator cap. But recently I've graduated to using a 3 gallon corny keg.

Also, I've learned (if you like the batch) you can literally pour a fresh bottle of Motts on top of the just drained batch of leftover stuff from the previous batch. The yeast will continue to work.

Finally, In the original post above I mention used Nottingham Ale yeast. I'm now experimenting by using a different type of yeast in each batch to see if there's one I like more than others. Will share my findings here in this thread.

So I've been brewing beer for a while now, but want to try my hand at cider, wanted a simple recipe. I googled some Mott's apple juice and found one that has 3 ingredients: water, apple juice concentrate, and absorbic acid. This is the one, correct?

I'm familiar with Nottingham.

How much does this dry out? My wife doesn't like super dry ciders.

Ever try a small dry hop of a fruity hop like Mosaic?

How do you back sweeten?

Thanks.

My house cider is very similar and I use Notty as well.

The difference is I like mine around 6% ABV and a semi-sweet to sweet finish (around 1.012-1.018 ish). I accomplish that by adding table sugar in the ferment and in the keg.

Easy drinking but don't let your friends have it without a DD...

do you mind sharing your recipe? Looking to try my first cider this weekend. My wife likes semi - semi sweet ciders. I’d be fermenting in a 5 gal carboy.

My house cider is very similar and I use Notty as well.

The difference is I like mine around 6% ABV and a semi-sweet to sweet finish (around 1.012-1.018 ish). I accomplish that by adding table sugar in the ferment and in the keg.

Easy drinking but don't let your friends have it without a DD...

Just finishing a batch as well. Kirklands Apple juice and notty.

did trial batches of notty and 71b and nottyhas more apple flavor, slight sweetness and less wine taste

I buy generic juice at $2 a gal and do the same.... I usually ferment it longer (4 weeks), I like it dry as a bone, but for most, it is too sour. I find substituting half of the apple juice for cranberry juice cocktail makes a sweeter final product (high fructose corn syrup is less fermentable?) I make it in gallon batches and bottle in liter soda bottles. It is always on hand and the next batch is just days away. The whole process is super simple takes only a few minutes once a month. Bottle a batch in 4 liter bottles. Clean the jug, pour in gal of juice add 1/2 t of new yeast (I don't save yeast anymore, I find I get a better product with fresh). Done.

Would you happen to have a link? This sounds like a recipe I used 3 years ago on my first attempt at hard cider and it worked splendidly. I'm just now starting to brew again and despite my best efforts I can't find this recipe anywhere.

Would you happen to have a link? This sounds like a recipe I used 3 years ago on my first attempt at hard cider and it worked splendidly. I'm just now starting to brew again and despite my best efforts I can't find this recipe anywhere.
He described it. It’s just a basic cider from store bought juice. There really isn’t a recipe per say. You get store bought juice, make sure it doesn’t have sorbates. Put the juice in your fermenter, pitch yeast, add an airlock, leave it in a coolish place for a while.

If you don’t have carboys you can ferment directly in the jugs it comes in. Pour off a cup for a half gallon jug or two cups for a gallon jug. Recap jug, shake for 30 seconds, open, pitch yeast, add sanitized stopped with airlock. Let sit for a while.

I haven’t tried the OP’s Nottingham ale yeast, but I’ve tried a few and recommend D47 or Mangrove Jack’s M02 yeast.

My super simple 5-day recipe:
  • Generic Apple Juice, OG: 1.045.
  • Hothead Kveik Yeast
  • 2 days fermenting room temp (28c/82f), not quite final gravity
  • 3 days in the bottle it clears and carbonates while reaching final gravity, FG: 1.006, 5.1% ABV

Notty may well be my choice if I could only brew with one yeast for the rest of my life. Has a huge temperature range, ferments fast, flocculates out, medium attunuation, etc.

My costco had fresh squeezed apple juice from Oregon for about a week. I used 4 gallons apple juice, 1 5 pound bottle of Costco honey, pitched notty and aerated it. No yeast nutrients. It finished at 1010. Not sure if that was a stuck fermentation or not. I want my cysers to finish around 1010 for residual sweetness, and typically they finish dry around .998.

What I have come to use for my cyser recipe:
2 gallons costco apple juice (it didn't seem to make a difference if I used 2 gallons or 4 gallons apple juice)
1-2 gallons water
5# costco honey
Nottingham Yeast
Aerate at the first pitch and then leave it.

I try to keg around 1015. Naturally carb in the key (spunding), and drink as it slowly dries out.

Notty may well be my choice if I could only brew with one yeast for the rest of my life. Has a huge temperature range, ferments fast, flocculates out, medium attunuation, etc.
Notty will make some nasty fusels at 75°F, so keep it cold. One of the very few small batches of cider that I've tossed was done in summer temps. Never again.

Last edited:
Fair enough for 75F with off flavors for Notty. If ya wanna go warm, go Kviek.

From Lallamond: The optimal temperature range for Nottingham yeast when producing traditional styles is 10°C (50°F)*to 22°C (72°F). :D

RolandD, that is pretty straightforward! I like a little residual sweetness and carbonation. Do I undersstand correctly that you are effectively spunding in the keg with the addition of canned concentrate? And hitting with CO2?

All power to those that work on cyser like a master vitner on wine. For me, the holy grail is a cider/cyser that ferments out somewhere ~1010 with real residual sweetness and doesn't need sulfites, acid blends or tannins to be quaffable.

All power to those that work on cyser like a master vitner on wine. For me, the holy grail is a cider/cyser that ferments out somewhere ~1010 with real residual sweetness and doesn't need sulfites, acid blends or tannins to be quaffable.
Holy grail, indeed. I've resigned to letting my stuff ferment dry and backsweeten if needed. Yes, that means sulfite etc. But what I get from this approach is a predictable repeatable process that I have total control over. I can choose yeast based on the esters/phenols whatever that compliment the intended result and not have to worry about alcohol tolerance or making rocket fuel that need years to mature.

edit: And I consider tannin and acid adjustments being like adding salt & pepper to my soup. It's edible without, but much better with. "To taste".

RolandD, that is pretty straightforward! I like a little residual sweetness and carbonation. Do I undersstand correctly that you are effectively spunding in the keg with the addition of canned concentrate? And hitting with CO2?

Just sweetening with the FAJC after stabilizing with K-Meta and K-Sorb. Then force carbonate in the keg.

I haven’t tried the OP’s Nottingham ale yeast, but I’ve tried a few and recommend D47 or Mangrove Jack’s M02 yeast.
We have tried many yeasts over the last 3 years, and have settled on S-04 and Notty. D47 is a terrible PITA to finish. There is a very strong taste that doesn't seem to go away for at least 18 months, and when it does it is still very rough with a woody taste. You need to try Notty. It will change your world.

Commercial apple juices whether clear or not make an OK cider but if you have ever tasted real cider (English cider , for example, then you know that eating apples don't have the acidity or tannins found in cider apples. Historically, cider apples were never eaten. You could not eat them because they were so sour. But if Motts and the like are what you are looking for, no problem. A better approach is to look for orchards that specialize in growing and pressing apples for cider. There really is a world of difference between Motts (and their cousins) and locally pressed juice.

We have tried many yeasts over the last 3 years, and have settled on S-04 and Notty. D47 is a terrible PITA to finish. There is a very strong taste that doesn't seem to go away for at least 18 months, and when it does it is still very rough with a woody taste. You need to try Notty. It will change your world.
What juice are you using and what temps are you fermenting at? Those would both make big differences.

For my store bought juice and mid to high 60’s ferm temps, D-47 was a clear winner over S-04. No woody taste. Good tasting cider after just a month in primary. My tests did not want me to continue any testing with S-04 but I’ll have to give it another shot with fresh juice when I finally get some. I think M-02 would be better than D-47 but it had a yeasty taste, could probably do with a secondary and aging for a couple months.

I’ll have to try Nottingham.

What juice are you using and what temps are you fermenting at? Those would both make big differences.

For my store bought juice and mid to high 60’s ferm temps, D-47 was a clear winner over S-04. No woody taste. Good tasting cider after just a month in primary. My tests did not want me to continue any testing with S-04 but I’ll have to give it another shot with fresh juice when I finally get some. I think M-02 would be better than D-47 but it had a yeasty taste, could probably do with a secondary and aging for a couple months.

We only ferment fresh-pressed juice. We have a Lancman VSP170 so pressing is not an issue. We have fermented at temps anywhere from 50°F to 70°F, and obviously the lower temp was a little better, but not much. I also agree that you want to be doing something with the 47 as soon as practical, but short of filtering, you are kind of limited. We like to wait until the cider naturally clears, and with 47 that takes at least 3 months. Notty takes about that long as well, but it's really getting good at that point, and stays awesome for at least 5-7 months after it clears.

D-47 has become my go to yeast for store bought juice and 65-75 degree temps. I can keg and be drinking it in three weeks from the start. I did a side by side with Cider House Select Cider Yeast and D-47. The Cider House Select produced a noticeable sulfur odor the took a month to age out. I have five types of yeast on hand, but I keep using D-47 because I know what the result will be.

Back