Fruit Beer Kumquat "Saison"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP644 Sacc Trois
Yeast Starter
Nah
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 72-82F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 Weeks @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Like a dry, tart white wine (Cava?). Huge citrus nose, beautiful wine-like taste.
This one was pretty simple, and easily the best beer I've made yet. A lotta pils, a little wheat, and a ton of backyard kumquats.

-5lb German pilsner malt
-1lb Red wheat malt
-10g Magnum (pellets, 11% AA) at 60 minutes
-6.5lb whole washed and frozen kumquats, added to secondary
-1 packet WLP644 Sacc Trois yeast

1. Mash at 148 for 75 minutes.
2. Boil 90 minutes.
3. Pitch yeast at 72F and let free-rise or gradually step up to ~80F over the course of a few days. Primary should be finished within a week.
4. When you hit terminal gravity, add the frozen kumquats to the secondary (I prefer a bucket or wide-mouth fermenter for ease of cleaning) and rack the beer on top.
5. Let age on the kumquats for three weeks.
6. Package, carbing high (~3vols).

Water profile: I do BIAB and use RO, adding salts and acid to the mash. I used 1.5g Gypsum and CaCl and 0.5tsp lactic acid in 4.5gal of water for this particular batch.

Where do you live? Just curious since I have been interested in some backyard citrus of my own. I'm in a bit of a chilly place, so any potential options are limited.

Where do you live? Just curious since I have been interested in some backyard citrus of my own. I'm in a bit of a chilly place, so any potential options are limited.
Hey, sorry, just saw this. When I made this beer I lived in the Los Angeles area (sort of near Pasadena). Now I'm up in Bend, Oregon, and I definitely couldn't source the kumquat's I'd need to make this. Luckily, the girlfriend's parents still live in LA, so I can get them when I go back!

Back