Easy-Peasy (no glue) Keezer Build with lots of pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did not invent this approach but when I first saw it I knew I'd build my own keezer this way. That keezer is shown here, but when the chance came to work with my son to build his own keezer, I knew I needed to document it better and share it.

k12.jpg

This method does not permanently change the freezer. Rather than gluing or silicone sealing the collar to the freezer, I use camper-top cushioning tape to line the freezer mouth and set the collar on that. This means that if we ever wanted to, we could return the freezer to its original configuration, i.e., that of a freezer, AND it turns out it makes this really easy to move as the collar can be lifted off and moved separately from the bottom.

The trick to this is adding a 1x8 facade around a 2x6 collar that dresses up the front as well as providing sides to prevent the collar from moving around. That facade is only on the front and sides. The collar cannot be pushed back, nor to either side. The facade isn't used on the back, no need.

I built this on our kitchen island as the freezer was not available to me at the time. I'd taken measurements and proceeded to build it at home. That island was a nice flat surface to line up the pieces and ensure a good flat base from which we could work. Once I had the collar together I pulled it apart and coated all of it with a polyurethane stain mix to seal it against moisture. Then I reassembled it.

I held the facade to the collar with hex-head screws. It kind of gives a little bit of a steampunk look to it. Other fasteners could be used, they could be countersunk and wooden caps used, whatever.

This unit has 3 faucets; I think there's a chance for a possible 4th, so when I measured out the location of the 3, I also made a tiny dimple with an awl to indicate the 4th location. You can't see it unless you know where to look, so it's there but not screwing up the appearance. No measuring required to add a fourth faucet. :)

Some people just put their CO2 cylinder and regulator inside the keezer; I've done that. Others keep theirs outside and drill a hole through which they pass the gas line. I wanted a way to be able to easily disassemble and move this, as my son will likely be moving to a new place at some point. So I bought a gas pass-through shank from the Chi Company and a few fittings to allow for the use of MFL fittings to connect the gas to the shank and the manifold inside.

The inside manifold has a check valve added to it just in case. All the MFL fittings (Male-Male, Female-Female) work just fine as they're all standard. Make sure if you do this you get the necessary nylon washers.

When installing the lid, look for the slots in the screw holes and make sure you center the screws in those slots. If you need to move the hinges up or down slightly to ensure a tight lid seal, that will leave you the necessary slack to do so.

I used rigid foam insulation cut to size for the inside and held on with nylon caps screwed to the inside of the collar. The top is beveled because the freezer lid has a beveled protrusion that extends down inside the freezer and the bevel on the insulation allowed for it.

The drip tray is held in place by magnets. The two circular ones are quite strong and they're attaching to two other paper-towel-holder magnet doohickies. Here's a post showing that. As with not gluing, I wanted something non-permanent, plus I don't have to worry about accidentally hitting cooling lines by using screws into the freezer.

Someone may ask where the lead for the temperature probe is. On my own keezer I cut a 1/8" channel through the cushion tape and run it through there, along w/ the power cord for a small USB fan to recirculate air inside the keezer. On this one we just laid it across the top and it seals.

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here's something like 12,000 words:

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

k5.jpg

k6.jpg

k7.jpg

k8.jpg

k9.jpg

k11.jpg

k12.jpg

k13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of magnets did you use? I bought welders magnets, but they slide down the keezer with just a little weight. I doubt they would hold a pint glass at all.

What type of magnets did you use? I bought welders magnets, but they slide down the keezer with just a little weight. I doubt they would hold a pint glass at all.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/light-dent-on-chest-freezer.630581/#post-8032019

They're paper-towel holders. The little round ones are from here, but you can use almost anything, they don't have to be super strong: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTKTSF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're a little pricey, but I've used them for all kinds of things, including attaching metal signs to the wall through either the screws holding the drywall in place, or the corner caps.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/light-dent-on-chest-freezer.630581/#post-8032019

They're paper-towel holders. The little round ones are from here, but you can use almost anything, they don't have to be super strong: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTKTSF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're a little pricey, but I've used them for all kinds of things, including attaching metal signs to the wall through either the screws holding the drywall in place, or the corner caps.
Finally got my shanks and taps to complete my build. What spacing did u use on your taps? From center to center. It may already be in the thread so I apologize in advance if it is.

@mongoose33, in your opinion, are those magnets more powerful that the ones you can buy from Home Depot?

Finally got my shanks and taps to complete my build. What spacing did u use on your taps? From center to center. It may already be in the thread so I apologize in advance if it is.

I used 3" on center. You could get away with 2 3/4", but with the flow control taps it would make things a bit crowded, I think.

The nice thing about 3" is I could get a 14" drip tray to cover 5 taps and it works.

@mongoose33, in your opinion, are those magnets more powerful that the ones you can buy from Home Depot?

I don't know anything about the Home Depot magnets. Are you referring to the paper-towel holders or the small round ones that hold the drip tray to the paper towel holders?

The PT holders are what I'd consider to be normal magnets. They can hold a lot, but there's a lot of surface area doing that. The small round ones are neodymium and are incredibly strong for their size. I bought them off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTKTSF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I had a couple with which I made a mistake--I didn't keep them apart and one slammed into the other and immediately broke into numerous pieces. There's a reason in the Amazon picture they show plastic spacers--once together they are very hard to pry apart.

I meant the small round ones you bought from Amazon. I guess they are stronger than those from Home Depot, although they both are neodymium.

I meant the small round ones you bought from Amazon. I guess they are stronger than those from Home Depot, although they both are neodymium.

I originally had some normal round magnets holding the drip tray in place. It's not an issue of it not being supported--the paper towel holders do that just fine. It just was a matter of keeping the drip tray centered and against the PT holders.

Those original magnets worked just fine, but I ended up getting some of the neydymium magnets for something else, then it hit me that they would look better than the ones I'd been using.

What I had been using looked like this:

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-khss...DSC_1177_web__34364__01075.1507249312.jpg?c=2

only...uglier. So you don't need a huge honking neodymium magnet if you don't have them. Something like this would work just fine:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...-c-19644.htm?tid=-7933967164182715276&ipos=14

My old keezer died, so time to build a new one. Here are just a few pics from that, using the same technique (camper top tape on the top of the freezer mouth). The freezer I bought has a particularly wide gasket, which meant I needed a collar base wider than the normal 2x6 would produce. I bought some 5/4" x 6 pine, and some 1"x6 pine, and attached them back to back to make a wider/thicker collar. I attached the facade and good to go.

newkeezer0.jpg
newkeezer1.jpg
newkeezer2.jpg
newkeezer3.jpg
newkeezer4.jpg

My old keezer died, so time to build a new one. Here are just a few pics from that, using the same technique (camper top tape on the top of the freezer mouth). The freezer I bought has a particularly wide gasket, which meant I needed a collar base wider than the normal 2x6 would produce. I bought some 5/4" x 6 pine, and some 1"x6 pine, and attached them back to back to make a wider/thicker collar. I attached the facade and good to go.

I love the color stain you used on the pine, I'm hoping the collar I built turns out looking that great!

Love the glass rinser. Is that plumbed to cold water line?

No....I have a small torpedo keg I fill with water, put in the keezer, then pressurize with the CO2 I'm using to push the beer. The liquid OUT line feeds the glass rinser. About 18-20 psi is enough to get it to spray. Side benefit: the water coming out is cold, and helps chill the beer glass.

No....I have a small torpedo keg I fill with water, put in the keezer, then pressurize with the CO2 I'm using to push the beer. The liquid OUT line feeds the glass rinser. About 18-20 psi is enough to get it to spray. Side benefit: the water coming out is cold, and helps chill the beer glass.

If you look at the pic below, you can see the torpedo keg on the right, with the line coming out of it and attached to the inside of the collar. It exits the inside on the left where it attaches to a bulkhead shank. The it comes out and feeds the rinser.

newkeezer4.jpg

newkeezer4a.jpg
newkeezer4b.jpg

Last edited:

This is great. Question: What keeps the water from going bad and growing "yuckies" in it seeing as it has no ABV content? Love the idea, just don't want to rinse the beer glass with dirty water.

Back