Drilling side walls of a Hotpoint Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuwin

Reaction score
I want to drill the sidewalls of my beer fridge so I can start kegging. I want to drill one side for the faucet and the other to run the line for CO2. From what I can tell, I don't think this will be an issue with hitting any refrigerant lines.

Any experts out there that can help me confirm this without drilling pilot holes or cutting off the inside liner?

I have a Hotpoint CTX14AYBFRWW.

E2134443-00002.png

E2134443-00003.png

I'm not familiar with the model, but from the beak out views it look like you're ok. Can you tell for sure that the lines from evaporator coil (726) and condenser coil (730) are running up the back (looks as though they would)? Perhaps a chase that protrudes out a bit? Never say never, but aside from some control wiring for ultra high tech features on top-o-the-line units, I can't think of any built in the last 30 years that would have anything in the sides to avoid.

[EDIT] also keep in mind what you get when you break down the word "expert" 1. ex = a has been 2. spurt = a drip under pressure

There's one in the side of the Sanyo 4912 that everyone uses for kegerators. Ask me how I know...it involves a 1/8" drill bit (it was a pilot hole!) and a loud hissing noise. :eek:

Edit: To clarify, the Sanyo unit is a minifridge. I personally believe the has been drip under pressure knows what he's talkin' about :)

Thanks for the replies. I got sidetracked a bit, but I will be completing the project this weekend. I'll post my results. These refrigerators are all over craigslist for cheap so I am going to just go for it. I figure I would have to run through 3 or 4 before I could say I was out any money relative to just buying new. A fair gamble IMO.

Thanks! That was the goal. I didn't like the idea of repeatedly flexing the line to open and close the door either.

I'm a little late but I have the same fridge and I had not issues drilling through the side. I believe the fridge chills by a fan from the freezer not coils in the walls.

Thanks for all the discussion. I just drilled two taps into the side of my Hotpoint HTS15BBMBRWW. I set them at the top of the refrigerator compartment, set in 6 and 9 inches from the from the door. I didn't run into anything in the walls but insulation.

Hotpoint Kegerator.jpg

Hotpoint Kegerator-2.jpg

Back