Bottling mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewarning

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll be bottling my first batch of mead very soon and I have a few questions:

Can I put the bottles in the dishwasher under the sanitation mode (no detergent) instead of using Stan San or is there a preference on sanitation?

I found these two types of bottles (cork and flip-top metal clasps) at my local dollar store. They seem to be sturdy and for a dollar each it's much cheaper than anywhere else. Do you think they would work? Any preference for either?

I'm sure the corks aren't the best quality and they do come off easily. If I used that one I'd probably have to replace them. Can you recommend the correct size cork and would I need a double lever hand corker? Any tips on using it (e.g. soak the corks, use glycerin, etc)? Any advice is appreciated.

Those corks won’t keep oxygen out well enough, good for something your going to drink right away, but not to store or age. Some of them even say not for food purpose. The flip tops should be ok for short term as well, but results kinda vary for long term based on the seal.

Ask your favorite watering hole/restaurant to collect some wine bottles for you. Corked bottles, not screw caps. Color doesn't matter. Soaking in hot water usually removes the labels.

As for sanitation, a dishwasher likely won't reach inside the bottle. The best cleaning method I have is one of these:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/wash-dry/products/vinator-bottle-rinser

One-Step cleaner, followed by a water rinse. Supplemented with a bottle brush if there's any wine residue stuck to the bottle bottom.

These are investments that will pay off in the future if you intend to keep at the hobby.

+1 about the bottles

Wash the bottles either using the device mentioned above or just a good soak in hot water use a long bottle brush if need be.

To sanitize use Star San 2 minute soak and no rinse equired.

OneStep is no rinse too. It works incredibly well. As good as most oxy cleaners and it sanitizers too.

You really have to let mead age at least three months before it starts getting good. You need something that deals really well.

All the Best,
D. White

This gizmo for washing bottles:

image_515_x700.jpg

And if you're fortunate enough to have a sink in your "brew room", one of these is superb for rinsing afterward:

4800__56639__22228.1574461342.jpg

Latest posts

Back