anyone have a good corona clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcroyd

Reaction score
The only beer that my wife likes is Corona. Does anyone have a good recipe for a home brew that would taste like Corona? There is a mix on the market called le corona but it does not include an upgrade for liquid yeast. It seems to me that liquid yeast is better....am I correct?:mug: :mug: :confused:

Trying to make a light lager clone at home (even with all grain) and having it taste like a particular commercial brand of beer is almost impossible.

If you really want to do this, look for generic recipes for classic american pilsners, american lagers, light ales, etc.

I don't drink corona either! I have brewed two stouts, and a steam beer. They seem to be just fine. I am trying hard to be a beer SNOB like Lou. I thought this was a forum for people that are learning about brewing. I know the difference between a lager and an ale. And I also know the differnce between a little ass and a smart ass!

8.5# pale pilsner/lager 2 row
12 oz flaked maize
.5# Rice Hulls
(for Extract use 5.5# extra light DME and corn sugar)
.5# corn sugar
.75oz Tettnanger (90 min) (Use 1 oz at 60min for extract)
.5oz Saaz (10 min)
Wyeast 2035/wLP840
Keep secondary in a well (indirect) sun lit area (you want it to skunk)

AG 6.5 gal starting boil extract 2.5 gallon boil.

Where and how do you keep all that beer? I have one regular sized refridge and it will only hold two 5 gal. kegs even after I "customized' it. how do you do, what you do, so well?

gregg

Can we lay off the beer snobbery and get the guy some answers instead? We get it-- some of you don't like corona.

Liquid yeast: is it 'better'? It's certainly easier to get started because the yeast is already live and ready to get busy, instead of in a dry, dormant state.

See my recipe for Boom-Boom Vanilla. This will be the recipe your home-Corona brew is based on.

Brew the Boom-Boom as per the instructions. When it's finished, drink it all and piss into clear bottles. Add some corn-sugar and dry yeast, bottle and serve with a lime.

OK, smart-ass answer.

Corona is cheap and readily available. It's typically $9.00 per 12er by me. Buy it for her from the store and revel in the fact that the delicious beer you make will last you longer.
My wife drinks Miller Lite. I love the beer I brew so I'm not trying to change her. In fact, at restaurants I now order the hoppiest ale on the menu and let her have a sip to remind her that she hates flavorfull beers.

glibbidy said:
Are you seriously serious? :confused:

I can't imagine why unless you're going for the '6 pack bottles in the front of the glass case' taste.

Cheesefood said:
Corona is cheap and readily available. It's typically $9.00 per 12er by me. Buy it for her from the store and revel in the fact that the delicious beer you make will last you longer.

At the same time, there can be some serious value in showing the significnat other that you're willling to go out of your way to accomodate her tastes. One run of beer she loves and you can turn homebrewing from 'that thing he wastes time and money on' into 'his hobby-- and he was so sweet when he made me the kind of beer I like'.

(Am I allowed to post in this thread without insulting Corona?)

kornkob said:
At the same time, there can be some serious value in showing the significnat other that you're willling to go out of your way to accomodate her tastes. One run of beer she loves and you can turn homebrewing from 'that thing he wastes time and money on' into 'his hobby-- and he was so sweet when he made me the kind of beer I like'.

(Am I allowed to post in this thread without insulting Corona?)

You're thinking like a guy. Think like a woman:

"Honey, this aweful smell I've filled the house with is going to be your delicious Corona!"
"Wow! Thanks! That's awesome! You really think I'll like it?"

.... Two months pass ...
"Is it ready yet?"

... Another two months pass ...
"It's in the bottle, does this mean I can try it now?"

... Three weeks pass ...
"Hmmm...this really doesn't taste like Corona."
"It just needs more time to settle, that's all."

... three more weeks pass ...
"Here, honey. Try it now. It tastes a lot like Corona."
"Do I have to? It smelled horrible, it took forever, and it tasted horrible. Can't we just buy Corona and you can keep brewing whatever it is you like to drink?

This doesn't taste like Corona. I'm not sure I even like Corona anymore."

Coronna is allegedly skunked on purpose. I'm not really sure if there's any way to know this for sure, but it is a very persistant beer legend.

cweston said:
Coronna is allegedly skunked on purpose. I'm not really sure if there's any way to know this for sure, but it is a very persistant beer legend.
It's not true. I read an article somewhere (obviously should have saved it) while researching whether hops would skunk pre-fermentation or not (they won't). It specifically cited Corona and a few other mfrs who bottle in clear bottles as taking specific steps post-fermentation to avoid skunking (including more expensive packaging of the cases, apparently). Now, as far as what happens once it hits shelves from Tijuana to Bangor, that's another story.

I drink Coronas in Mexico, but prefer Pacifico (though it's not much different). It's safer than tapwater and about the same price as bottled.

dcroyd, I would think any light lager kit would work (not light in calories, but light in color) to get your wife what she likes. However, I hope you've researched the in's and out's of brewing a lager beer as the fermentation requirements (mainly temperature) are significantly more involved than brewing an ale. A Kolsch (sp?) would be a lager-like ale that would be slightly easier to brew.

Another thing to note is that light lagers are one of the hardest styles to brew at home...they don't have much flavor to overcome any deficiencies in your process which will magnify any off-flavors that show up.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just make sure you're informed.

Cheesefood said:
You're thinking like a guy. Think like a woman:

"Honey, this aweful smell I've filled the house with is going to be your delicious Corona!"

No, you're thinking like a guy-- you made the mistake at step 1.

Don't TELL her you're making it for her. That's like calling her and telling her that you're going shopping for her christmas gift and *insert her favorite indulgence spot here*.

Make the beer. Give it to her. It's a gift you made with your own hands that took you weeks to make that you made because its what she likes. That's what she needs to know at the end.

kornkob said:
No, you're thinking like a guy-- you made the mistake at step 1.

Don't TELL her you're making it for her. That's like calling her and telling her that you're going shopping for her christmas gift and *insert her favorite indulgence spot here*.

Make the beer. Give it to her. It's a gift you made with your own hands that took you weeks to make that you made because its what she likes. That's what she needs to know at the end.

Better yet, pour some Corona into brown bottles and tell her your made it for her several months ago and now it's ready. She'll be amazed by how spot-on it is.

Or, she might say "This tastes nothing like a Corona. I'm leaving you. I've been sleeping with your *brother, best friend, dog, enemy, boss, co-worker, all of the above* for the past year anyways. That kid? It's not even yours. It's actually the son of my gay hair-dresser. He's more of a man than you are. I hate you and your stupid homebrewing hobby."

So, you can try to convince her to like what you like or you can drop a dime on some Corona and keep fooling yourself that she married you because you're a good-looking guy who keeps her happy.

My dad is a Corona fan, so I wanted to make one for him also. I don't have a beer fridge, so I had to make it with Ale yeast. I found this recipe and went with it:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=882

I used a Safbrew dry yeast that was from the edme strain. I learned that rice flakes soak up a ton of water. All that I included in my mash was pretty much absorbed. I had to use two strainers and a ton of sparge water to get to 2.5 gal for boil. Even though I used strainers, there was a ton of sediment in the primary. It was amazing how much was left. I only ended up getting 4 gallons into my bottling bucket with a 1 week primary, 1 week secondary. I also used 5oz corn sugar for priming, which is slightly too much. Another thing I should have done was to cold condition the secondary to help drop out more of the rice sediment. There is a pretty good layer on the bottom of the bottles.

Overall, the taste is pretty good and really similar to Corona!!

Gregg Meyer said:
Where and how do you keep all that beer? I have one regular sized refridge and it will only hold two 5 gal. kegs even after I "customized' it. how do you do, what you do, so well? gregg
I actually have a beer fridge or 2 - looking for another...one of those professional glass door types would work fine...:D

The kegs are mini-kegs (5 liters). They spend the winters in the 44F garage on shelves. Now it's raising closer to 60F so I'll have to refridgerate them again, especially the lagers. I also lived in Germany for 9 years so I like room temp beer.

Once the beer reaches the carb level I like I put the entire batch in the fridge for about 2 weeks. When I have another batch ready I pull the first batch and store it in a cool room.

Meanwhile most of that batch has already disappeared from the fridge and reappeared onto my waistline...:D :drunk: Many of the beers listed only have a 6er left. They are not full batches.

The meads don't require refridgeration, or at least only a short one.

Are you seriously serious?
Yes, They know damn well the beer skunks (this I got from a friend who used to work for Modelo), thus the Lime advertising campaign Lime in a long neck prevents you from smelling it. If you want to get as close as possible skunking is part of the flavor. Indirect sunlight in the secondary then brown bottles will give you the taste.

A lot of people actually like the taste of skunked pilsners

Talk about sulfur emissions. I don't know why people like this stuff at all, but I have a friend who drinks Corona and Corona only.

Personally, I quit ordering Corona, Blue Moon or a Hefe from a bar. I'm sick to death of people putting fruit in my beer.

Being so close to the border, and Aqua Prieta being pretty much everyone's bar from the ages of 17-21, we've grown up on the stuff. Most of the time it was 10 bucks all you can drink until 4am. So I would put away at least 15 or so Coronas a night. But yea, down in Mexico, they are all served with a lime in the neck and a pinch of salt on top of that. Actually its pretty damn good like that on a hot sumemr day. Nowadays I prefer drinking Pacifico over all of them though. Its not nearly as skunky as Corona.

Or, she might say "This tastes nothing like a Corona. I'm leaving you. I've been sleeping with your *brother, best friend, dog, enemy, boss, co-worker, all of the above* for the past year anyways. That kid? It's not even yours. It's actually the son of my gay hair-dresser. He's more of a man than you are. I hate you and your stupid homebrewing hobby."

The thinking mans response to the above is a Quote from MLK JR. . . .

Free at last! Free at last! Thank the Lord all mighty I'm free at last!

If I could just meet you in person I could show how much respect I have for you. I am just a light weight! I drank my first beer last week. I bet your not just tough around the mouth. You couldn't be a bunch of democrats that squat to pee. I'll bet your real men that would never drink a bud light or god forbid.....a corona. You probably wrap both of your massive hands around a Nevada Celebration Ale and toast John Kerry!!

OMFG USMCRUZ is back!!!
Seriously, quit with the buzz kill, nothing worse then harsh bud . . . err brew talk.

Pacifico is some good stuff. You should re-bottle some of that for your wife and tell her you tried to make her a corona. She will be REAL impressed that yours is better than actual corona!

Yes, They know damn well the beer skunks (this I got from a friend who used to work for Modelo), thus the Lime advertising campaign Lime in a long neck prevents you from smelling it. If you want to get as close as possible skunking is part of the flavor. Indirect sunlight in the secondary then brown bottles will give you the taste.

A lot of people actually like the taste of skunked pilsners

The real reason limes were put in beers was that the acidity kept of the bugs. This was especially common in latin american countries closer to the equator.:tank:

The real reason limes were put in beers was that the acidity kept of the bugs. This was especially common in latin american countries closer to the equator.:tank:

The real real reason to put limes in Corona is to cover up the awful flavor. It's the same reason you cover a plate of awful food served to you at a relatives house with salt and pepper. Whatever you've got to do to choke it down. Have you tried that stuff without the lime? Not good, although it tastes hideous even with a lime.
vomit-smiley-007.gif

Well, if you're geared up for all grain (and have a grain mill), you can try this rice ale recipe.
It doesn't taste much like corona, IMO, but your wife might enjoy it.

Yeast: Safale S-33
6 lbs 6-row pale malt
6 lbs rice (just regular long grain rice)

1 oz Saaz hops @ flameout
1 oz Halletau hops @ flameout
~ 4 limes worth of lime zest @ flameout

You can also use a 2-row pale malt with a high enzyme content if you don't like the 6-row. And you'll want to crush that rice as fine as you can, which is kind of a pain.

Sorry I don't have any target OG/FG's, my buddy broke my hydrometer while we were brewing this, but I would say something like OG: 1.055-1.060 and FG 1.010-1.015

Like I said, it doesn't taste much like corona, but all my BMC drinking friends seem to like it. You could go a bit lighter on the hops if your wife really hates hoppy beers, also, but this stuff actually turned out really nice.

Hope this helps:eek:

The Mexican Cervesa from here AHB Beer Recipe Kits - LAGERS ONLYwas my first "corona like" kit. the extract turned out better than the mini mash. my wife and our friends all enjoyed this beer. don't let negative comments (even in jest) get to you. the light lagers and vienna lagers are a bit harder to brew and take a little more attention to detail, they are light so any flaw can be tasted but when done well are very good. This is a "happy place" but for some reason cervesa and American light beers bring out the negative comments and the my beer is better than yours as well as the "i can piss farther than you" attitude. ignore the in between comments and eventually you will get an answer. (even if it takes 3 years) here is a link to Mexican lagers (for anyone who now wants to know). I did not brew this recipe if you (someone) do (does)brew it let me know how it turns out How to make Mexican Lagers - Beer, Wine, Homebrew, and Everything Fermentable! - fermentarium.com

other recipes I've accumulated from here and elsewhere and try to brew either this year or next. none are mine and I apologize to the creator if their name is not mentioned.
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: Unknown
Final Gravity: Unknown
IBU: Unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 65F
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

I always assumed that there was something exotic about Dos Equis because I associate it with eating enchiladas and tacos but based on the recipe, it is a pretty standard central European lager. My LHBS owner suggested this recipe when I asked about brewing up a clone. It uses dry ale yeast and came out pretty much dead on for color and taste. Clarity might be improved by using a secondary.

2 lbs, Munton DME
1 lb, Rice solids
3.3 lbs (one can), Cooper's light LME
1 lb, #60 steeping grains
1 oz, Hallertau @ 10 minutes
1 oz, Saaz @ 55 minutes
Nottingham dry ale yeast
Irish moss @45 minutes

I use spring water and do two gallon boils. The steeping grains were taken out as the temperature crossed 160F. I use the Irish moss and try to get a real good cold break by simply putting my whole brew pot into my kitchen sink full of ice water at the end of the hour, removing when the ice all melts (usually no more than ten minutes or so). I pitch the yeast dry right into the fermenter (never had a problem with this approach). I did three weeks in the primary then straight to bottle, carbonating with the usual 3/4 cup of dextrose boiled into about a pint of water and dumped into the bottling bucket as I started siphoning out the fermenter. I made no attempt to lager it. I have no hydrometer readings - I gave up on hydrometers because I did not believe I could get accurate readings. I had it in the primary for three weeks, then straight to bottle.

Brewer: Bryan Rabe
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Light/Standard/Premium Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.8 %
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 41.2 %
0.75 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (0 min) (Hops -
1.05 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal CAP Water
1 Pkgs American Lager (Wyeast Labs #2035) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 2.66 gal of water at 162.2 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Notes:
------
1g epsom
2g chalk to mash
pinch baking soda
pinch salt

40 pointer. It might score slightly better (possibly 42-43) in the 1B American Standard Lager, as it had a little more flavor than the style suggests.

1g cacl

3.75 lbs. of Continental Pilsner Malt
5.0 lb. of Vienna Malt
1.0 lb. of Munich Malt
6.0 oz of Crystal Malt
1.5 oz Hallertau (4.0% AA) for 60 minutes
0.5 oz Hallertau (4.0% AA) for 10 minutes
White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager or Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

SG 1.051
FG 1.013

Mash the grains for 90 minutes at 152 F (67 C). You'll want to boil the beer for 90 minutes to eliminate any DMS (dimethyl sulphide).

Ferment at the wort at 50 F, the lower end of the recommended temperature for the yeast. Once the fermentation is complete, you'll want to lager the beer for at least 4 weeks. If you can make the beer in February or March, the beer will be even smoother by summer.

Carbonate the beer 2 to 2.5 volumes.

Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 15.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days 52 Deg
Additional Fermentation: Lower temp 5 Deg/day till 32 Deg Lager for 6 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6 days 62Deg

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.07 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 12.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 39.0 %
7 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.0 %
4 lbs 6.4 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.0 %
2.10 oz Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.20 oz Liberty [4.30%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
2 Pkgs Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) (I actually used a 1/2 gallon starter that I stepped up from 1 vial)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 7.60 gal of water at 159.3 F 140.0 F 45 min
Step Bring temp up to 152.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Primary fermentation: 7 days at 52 degrees
Diacetyl rest: 6 days at 62 degrees
Secondary/Lagering: bring temp down 5deg/day until 32 degrees is reached and lager for 6 weeks.

Holy thread bumping batman....

But it seems the bumper only has 7 posts...

But still, people complain if we tell them to use the search to find out if their aluminum pot is safe...and yet THIS new poster manages to find an ancient thread at the bottom of the HBT gaveyard...WOW..I salute you mr "limes in beer to keep out the bugs man"

I know were talking about corona..but you should be nominated for bud's "real men of genius" award...

cannes-bud-radio.jpg

:mug: :D

But I have actually heard that the Brewer's Best Mexican cerveza makes a good, if not better approximation of it...

Hey,

I'm curious, does anybody really have a good recipe to clone a carona/sol/pacifico/bohemia/etc. Does such a recipe actually exist. I mean they make them. So, obviously the recipe exists somewhere... And they sell quite a lot of them. so, obviously somebody, somewhere likes them.

But, as soon as I saw this thread title, I knew exactly where this thread was going. And that for every one serious reply there would be four to six "beer snob" replies stating what a bad beer it is. I'm sure it's mostly good natured fun. And I accept it as that.

But, I am curious... Somewhere, among all of the homebrewing experience and expertise that frequent this site, there has got to be someone who not only enjoys the occasional Mexican Lager w/ a lime wedge on a hot day, but has also taken the time to try and duplicate this very popular style.

Thanks,

You may now resume the Carona bashing...:fro:

Edit... While I was typing someone actually posted some recipes...:eek:

If you want the easy way out, get a regular "Mexican Pilsner" kit from Austin Homebrew Supply, leave the yeast out of the kit, and add a vial of California ale yeast instead. That was recommended to me here when I was wanting to create a Corona-esque brew.

It really worked like a champ. The resulting beverage was probably closer to a Landshark Lager (aka Corona, hold the skunk) but I really like it. I've got it on tap now in the kegerator and it's a great pool-side summer ale with a lime in it. I wish I could pitch my cell phone into the ocean, just like the commercials! Crisp, refreshing, and tangy. My conversion didn't work so well in the mini-mash kit, so I supplemented the primary with a pound of local honey. The honey fermented nicely and if there's any residual flavor left from it, it's extremely subtle.

Personally, when the mood strikes me, I still like a skunky, pungent Corona with a lime wedge squeezed into it. There's nothing wrong with that. It's no more odd than someone else loving a triple IPA or a barleywine or a stout. It's something with a bite and a twang and it tickles something that people want tickled. Personally, I try to appreciate what the recipe was trying to accomplish, even if it doesn't suit my particular taste.

Anyone else notice this thread is over 3 years old?
Fixed that for ya :D

And now that it's resurrected and people (props to them!) have actually given some helpful suggestions, I'll toss in that Papazian's NCJOHB also has a "Mexican lager" clone, which I assume is meant to approximate Corona (even he goes all EAC on it...)

I know were talking about corona..but you should be nominated for bud's "real men of genius" award...

WOW!!!
its funny cause maybe I did revive an old post... My bad... Even more so I thought the whole purpose of this forum was for people of all experiences to come and get support and the answers they needed to homebrewing. I'm sorry I dont have 13000 posts, but Who are we really kidding here??? oh yeah i "FORGOT" the more posts means your more "EXPERIENCED" right??? It seems that people have lost sight of the fact that not everyone is a beer snob. If you like corona or you like american pilsners thats fine in my book. If you don't thats also good... Different strokes for different folks.

You can keep your genius award.

If you like corona or you like american pilsners thats fine in my book. If you don't thats also good...

I agree with you. I love this site, but the complete beer snobery really gets on my nerves. If people like Corona and that's what they want to brew, just help them out. This thread wouldn't be 4 pages long if the OP asked about brewing a nice hoppy IPA. Not everyone likes what you do.

I agree with you. I love this site, but the complete beer snobery really gets on my nerves. If people like Corona and that's what they want to brew, just help them out. This thread wouldn't be 4 pages long if the OP asked about brewing a nice hoppy IPA. Not everyone likes what you do.

If you like Corona, we don't want yo' dirty kind around. ;)

But seriously, go away. :D

WOW!!!
its funny cause maybe I did revive an old post... My bad... Even more so I thought the whole purpose of this forum was for people of all experiences to come and get support and the answers they needed to homebrewing. I'm sorry I dont have 13000 posts, but Who are we really kidding here??? oh yeah i "FORGOT" the more posts means your more "EXPERIENCED" right??? It seems that people have lost sight of the fact that not everyone is a beer snob. If you like corona or you like american pilsners thats fine in my book. If you don't thats also good... Different strokes for different folks.

You can keep your genius award.

I think the genius award was for actually using the search feature. You've got a bit of a step up on most new posters, who never try to search for anything and just simply post a new thread. So I don't think Revvy meant anything, in fact, he was more likely thanking you for using the search function.

Yeah, the beer snobbery does get a little old, but, it's just kinda the way it is around here. Anytime someone asks for a BMC clone, you get the same "pi$$ in a bottle and ferment it" responses. But, if you were to come on here and ask "how long do I need to _____________" or "how much __________ should I use", you're going to get a wealth of information and responses. Putting up with the banter about how poorly BMC tastes is just part of it. Don't take it personal.

so its not corona but here is medalla light cerveza from the book clone brews
4 oz crystal-10 crush and steep in .5 gal @150 for 20
2.75 lb extra light DME
1 lb rice solids 1lb corn sugar
1oz hallertau hersbucker @3.5%
ferment w/ wyeast 2035 or 2007 @42-45 deg.

OG 1.039-1.040
FG 1.006-1.008
IBU 13.5
SRM 2-2.5

hope this helps and good luck

Back