ANOTHER Basement Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highland_brewer

Short Circuited Brewers
Reaction score
I have been absent from the forum for a little bit. Sold the old house and moved into another one. Sadly had to let the old brewery go... :(

(The thread from the first buid: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-basement-brewery-build.399130/)

BUT That opens the door for a new brewery at the new house.

The new place is a different layout and has some new challenges to overcome. Sewage drains being above floor level of the basement, no real outside wall to exhaust steam, and a few other things.

I have finally been able to get started on the build and have made some progress.

An overview of the new space:

As you will see it is a pretty blank space. Which is pretty nice! I will be able to do pretty much whatever I want in the new space. SWMBO Told me since I gave up the old space for her dream home, I could do whatever I wanted and the entire basement was mine! (Except for the crawl space storage)

First order of business was to come up with a layout for the new space and I struggled to find something I could draw up the plans on because none of the home builder software would let me do what I wanted. I finally wound up using Sketchup for the initial rough design.

Then came time to decide on how to get the liquid from the floor and sink drains up and out of the basement. I decided to go with an enclosed Liberty pump.
39936643_1827828963990900_29600025545801728_n.jpg

My plan is to sink it down into a sump basin so that it is below floor level and the drains can slope towards it.

40030562_1827828890657574_6681691230956421120_n.jpg

For the drain, this time I decided I wanted to have a linear drain instead of a small square drain that would be easier to squeegee liquid into. So I went with this one from amazon.
40017383_1827975173976279_4072995912899624960_n.jpg

Once I had all of that out of the way it was time to move on to the DEMO!!

This past holiday weekend I spent a couple of days with my 2 new best friends...

Saw
40537849_1837813579659105_8695552338934366208_n.jpg

And Jackhammer..

40484316_1838884886218641_4398359962112229376_n.jpg

And went to town on the slab in the basement.

Here is some footage of that whole process. VERY hard work indeed but I think it is worth it in the end.

Up next is excavating all of the troughs and the hole for the sump pump basin.

Stay tuned!!

Uh yeah... I love brewing but not to that point.Of course I do not live in a house either.... I cannot wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing the videos

Good work!!!

I put a sump in my basement years ago for a bathroom, had about 10% of the concrete demo that you did.

Even with the hired hand teenage neighbor to haul the broken concrete out of the basement, it was a hell of a job!

My hats off to you on that major undertaking!

Good work!!!

I put a sump in my basement years ago for a bathroom, had about 10% of the concrete demo that you did.

Even with the hired hand teenage neighbor to haul the broken concrete out of the basement, it was a hell of a job!

My hats off to you on that major undertaking!

Thanks!!

Nice job, lots of work. Looks like there was no wire mesh reinforcement in concrete, not sure if that is common, but know it is in some slabs.

The floor epoxy is a good idea, be careful of which type you get, some of the high VOC ones will require air supplied respirator system if you are going to survive putting in closed basement. Even with low voc, or latex based, recommend good respirator with new canisters and some forced ventilation.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Nice job, lots of work. Looks like there was no wire mesh reinforcement in concrete, not sure if that is common, but know it is in some slabs.

The floor epoxy is a good idea, be careful of which type you get, some of the high VOC ones will require air supplied respirator system if you are going to survive putting in closed basement. Even with low voc, or latex based, recommend good respirator with new canisters and some forced ventilation.

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Yes sir! I come from a automotive background dealing with VOC's and Isocyanates. I definitely understand the need for both ventilation and respirators. Definitely good points! Thanks!

Hey Brian, Looking good!

Hey wondering if you’ve come across the steam condenser for your boil kettle. Several of us eBrewers are installing that instead of condensation hoods. Saved me a lot of $$. I was originally going to install something similar to your previous set up but cam across this thread by @BrunDog ... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...denser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/

Thought you may be interested for your new build.

Cheers!

Edit: I still have a basic exhaust for orders and such but not an entire condensation hood or restaurant rated fan.

Hey Brian, Looking good!

Hey wondering if you’ve come across the steam condenser for your boil kettle. Several of us eBrewers are installing that instead of condensation hoods. Saved me a lot of $$. I was originally going to install something similar to your previous set up but cam across this thread by @BrunDog ... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...denser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/

Thought you may be interested for your new build.

Cheers!

Edit: I still have a basic exhaust for orders and such but not an entire condensation hood or restaurant rated fan.

Yes I have seen it. I think brewhardware sells a kit for it now. Or Bobby is working on one. Because I have the fan already and I found an easier way to run the exhaust, I will probably sick with the hood. I might do over in the future to check it out though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Brian, just went and watched the video. I would be concerned that when water permeates that hole, it will cause the tub to rise up (float like a boat). You will need to really brace it down to prevent that from happening as it would easily break your piping.

Brian, just went and watched the video. I would be concerned that when water permeates that hole, it will cause the tub to rise up (float like a boat). You will need to really brace it down to prevent that from happening as it would easily break your piping.

Yeah, I have been wondering about that. It seems like the concrete poured around it is pretty secure. I am thinking of putting some tapcons into the concrete around the lip. One thing I did not show is that I actually put a couple of bags of concrete in the hole instead if just back filling with dirt only and I focused is encasing the piping in concrete to secure it in place. I hope all that works!! What do you think about concrete screws into the concrete surrounding the basin? I may do the condensate adapter, not sure yet. I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Hey Brian, Knowing me you probably mentioned it in you video and I missed it but are you not concerned about vents for your drains?

I will be adding multiple vents, one for both sinks as well as a vent for the pump. I did the same thing in my old brewery and it worked fine. Not done with the plumbing above the concrete just yet.

Great video series. I am also in the process of converting a (Columbus) basement to my indoor electric brewery and was wondering how you are handling make-up air with you vent/hood? My brewing area is near our furnace and hot water heater and I have a CO monitor, but am looking for ideas for make up air.

Great video series. I am also in the process of converting a (Columbus) basement to my indoor electric brewery and was wondering how you are handling make-up air with you vent/hood? My brewing area is near our furnace and hot water heater and I have a CO monitor, but am looking for ideas for make up air.

I have a window nearby that I can open in the basement. it is on the same wall as the brewery so it shouldn't create too much cross draft. You can install a vent pipe near the vent hood.

I will be watching every one of these . I had plans of basement brewing too but the fact the 50 amp power necessary to run my rig is available in my pole barn and not the basement(YET, only have a 30 amp available so far and that is iffy) . I also would be tackling how to exhaust my water drain to outside. I may set up an ejection pit as well. Cant wait to see yours finished and working !

I will be watching every one of these . I had plans of basement brewing too but the fact the 50 amp power necessary to run my rig is available in my pole barn and not the basement(YET, only have a 30 amp available so far and that is iffy) . I also would be tackling how to exhaust my water drain to outside. I may set up an ejection pit as well. Cant wait to see yours finished and working !

Cool hope they help!

Got the drywall installed, not an exciting task! Someone has to do it.. And I don't want to pay someone! Now the mud work. Lol that might be a different story. Enjoy!

Great video. Running those columns and chair rail should definitely help save some time with the mudding! I'm also planning on setting up an electric brewing system in my basement, however I won't be going all-out and dry walling it. Currently waiting for some #8 THHN to come in for my spa panel. I'll be getting the panel and conduit mounted this weekend so it's ready to pull through, won't be a very long run (about 10 ft or so).

Great video. Running those columns and chair rail should definitely help save some time with the mudding! I'm also planning on setting up an electric brewing system in my basement, however I won't be going all-out and dry walling it. Currently waiting for some #8 THHN to come in for my spa panel. I'll be getting the panel and conduit mounted this weekend so it's ready to pull through, won't be a very long run (about 10 ft or so).

NICE! Sounds like you are on your way. I was very strategic in the installation of the drywall on purpose.. A little more work seaming it at the height I want saves me a ton of time in the finishing of it! Stay tuned!!

Brian

Decided to make a change to the brewing equipment. My original mash tun is blichmann, so it was a fairly easy decision on what to upgrade to.. Sold my old HLT and Boil Kettle to make way for these..
BEWyxlM

BEWyxlM

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_200835_939.jpg
    IMG_20190121_200835_939.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Got the drywall installed, not an exciting task! Someone has to do it.. And I don't want to pay someone! Now the mud work. Lol that might be a different story. Enjoy!

for future reference, those tv mount blocks you have off a single stud should actually span 2 studs . otherwise looks like a nice build

When you make a post don't you have a button at the bottom right called "Upload a File"? Just click that and navigate to the picture you want on your computer.

Quick update on the brewery. Had to get some running water and a drain for a brew day. Got the lift pump installed and the sink hooked up, sadly the sink will have to come out to do the flooring but.. I got running water for the brew day!

What size is your sink and where did you get it from? I'm looking to get a stainless sink with drainboard and flexible sprayer like you have. I have a 10 gallon Spike kettle and 20 gallon Spike kettle and wanted to make sure I got one that would be big enough to be able to clean/dry both.

What size is your sink and where did you get it from? I'm looking to get a stainless sink with drainboard and flexible sprayer like you have. I have a 10 gallon Spike kettle and 20 gallon Spike kettle and wanted to make sure I got one that would be big enough to be able to clean/dry both.
I picked it up at a local restaurant supply store. Here is a link to it.
https://www.equippers.com/sauber-1-...8-drainboard-on-left-36-12w/s1c162012-18l.asp I would definitely check for a local restaurant supply store near you to save money on shipping.

Back