All-grain brewing with low a low cost setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We've all drooled at the amazing custom set-ups on this site, or even at a Blichmann or Speidel set-up.
But what if you don't have that kind of money, skills or space?
People have been brewing with very little gear with great results.

My setup(1 kettle only):

Basic Gear:
-Brewing kettle, if you want to brew all-grain you will need at least one of these, 9-10 gallons is a good size for a 5.5 gallon brewer, but I’ve been making do with 8 gallons by reducing to 5 gallon batches.

-Fermenter, obviously, a good food grade plastic bucket is cheap and has a good advantage, it will hold hot liquid for sparging if you don't have a big enough second kettle.

-Electric tea kettle. Especially if you are limited by one brewing kettle and a normal electric stove, this will help increase your water heating. Both for strike and sparge water it is very useful.

-Good thermometer.
I have 2, an electric ”roast” thermometer for the hot brewing etc., that clips to the kettle and a glass ”mercury” one for checking mash temperature before adding yeast.

-A decent stirring spoon/paddle, long enough to easily reach the bottom of the kettle and fermenter.

-A grain bag, wether you go all-grain or just extract with steeping grains, it's very handy to have a bag.

-An old blanket/sleeping bag/skijacket. For keeping the kettle insulated while mashing.

-A concrete mixing tub to have the fermenter in for cooling down the wort and as a swampcooler during fermentation.

-Ikea sieve for easier draining the brew bag.http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50103755/

-Starsan or other no-rinse sanitiser, because it's just too cheap to bother with less easy sanitisers.

-A decent electric kitchen scale.

On brew day:

Get all your gear close by, wash everything so it has no debris, but don't sanitise yet. Prepack your hops and other boil additives in plastic freezer boxes by time-to-add

Heat your Strike water, this is the water you will use for the mashing of the grain.
Generally you should heat this water to about 72-74 celcius/162-166 fahrenheit.
This will give you a good mashing temperature when adding the grains.
With a slow stove, the electric water boiler can help out here.

beerstrike_zpsy1blxzas.jpg~original

While the water is heating, put your grains in the bag, easiest if you have the bag inside a bucket so it stays up.

beergrainbag_zpslzf15agw.jpg~original

Once your water is hot, add the grain bag to the kettle, I use a basic luggage strap to keep it in place.
Stir the grains so they are all wet and not too clumped.

beermash1_zpsdijljn6v.jpg~original

Put the cover on and pack in your blanket or other insulator, leave to mash for 60-90 minutes depending on recipe. You can once every 20-30 minutes stir to try for better efficiency.

beermash2_zpsk86fgawg.jpg~original

Near the end of mashing, heat your sparging water, either in a seperate kettle if you have, or use the electric kettle and your fermenter to store, sparging water should be around 75 Celcius/167 Fahrenheit.

Close and lift the grain bag out of the kettle, rest on the ikea sieve on top of the kettle to drain and sparge.

(still need a picture of this one, next brew i'll make and add one)

Bring the wort to the boil and add your hops according to recipe schedule.

beerboil_zps4ykntc7c.jpg~original

Using a Cleaned and sanitised sieve and emptied grainbag, strain the wort into the fermenter.

beerstrain_zpsvfhuhajc.jpg~original

Cool the wort down, either outside in winter, or use the Concrete mixing tub filled with cold water/frozen bottles in summer.

(another picture needed, next brewday)

Rehydrate your yeast if using dry yeast or get your yeast starter.

Open the fermenter, take a gravity sample for your Original gravity, then add the yeast.

Close up and move to your fermentation place, inside the concrete mixing tub/swamp cooler.

(final picture here, later)

Very practical setup, Kharnynb! Doesn't take a lot of storage space either.

I do BIAB in a 1-bedroom apartment and also use an electric kettle to help heat up the strike and sparge water.

:mug:

Even though you are all-grain brewing technically you are doing BIAB. To me, not a giant difference, even though I use a bag for part of my all-grain to lighten the total weight of my BK/ mash tun.

Even though you are all-grain brewing technically you are doing BIAB. To me, not a giant difference, even though I use a bag for part of my all-grain to lighten the total weight of my BK/ mash tun.

It's identical except you use a bag instead of a false bottom.

All fermentables come from grain, then it's all grain.

I'm so sick of elitist all grain brewers (not necessarily you, MindenMan) with mash tuns turning their noses up at people who use a grain bag in a pot.

I have:

2 - 22 qt enamel steel canning kettles
1 - 5 gallon fermentor (plastic bucket)
1 - 3 gallon fermentor (Better Bottle)
1 - 7 gallon fermentor (plastic bucket)

Lauter tun made from 2 five gallon plastic buckets (Zapap style, Google it.)

Makes GREAT beer. I like the process and the hand work. It's like traveling in a car, the scenery is nice but I like to drive.

All the Best,
D. Whtie

My setup:

8.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer kettle
5 gallon stock pot for sparge water
(4) 5 gallon Ozarka water bottle fermenters (with an unlimited supply at my disposal)
A handful of extra/borrowed Rubbermaid storage totes for ice bath cooling/swamp cooling/grain milling/bottle conditioning.
A couple Homer buckets for cleaning and sanitizing stuff.

I have purchased almost nothing as far as equipment goes. Bottling bucket, auto siphon, hydrometer, and that's it.

My setup:

8.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer kettle
5 gallon stock pot for sparge water
(4) 5 gallon Ozarka water bottle fermenters (with an unlimited supply at my disposal)
A handful of extra/borrowed Rubbermaid storage totes for ice bath cooling/swamp cooling/grain milling/bottle conditioning.
A couple Homer buckets for cleaning and sanitizing stuff.

I have purchased almost nothing as far as equipment goes. Bottling bucket, auto siphon, hydrometer, and that's it.

Your fermenters, are you using water cooler bottles? There's a whole bunch of empty ones in the office but I never had the guts to use them.

9-gallon stainless steel pot
16-quart aluminum pot
Grain bag
Bungee cord
Stir paddle
Candy thermometer
Large strainer
Tea kettle
Laundry sink
Milk cartons, quart containers, and water bottles filled with frozen water

This is the extent of the equipment I have for the mash/sparge/boiling/cooling process. I rack the cooled wort from the kettle to the carboy and then pitch and ferment just like everyone else does. I use a 12-gallon rope-handled tub and aquarium heater/frozen water bottles for temp control.

I can understand folks wanting fun pieces of kit for their brewing, but I don't have the need for anything more complicated than this. Besides...my wife would give me the stankiest of stank eyes if I had anything more! ;)

Your fermenters, are you using water cooler bottles? There's a whole bunch of empty ones in the office but I never had the guts to use them.

Yep. Check the recycling symbol. If they're #1 PET you're good to go. Same plastic as better bottles. Look out for #7, that's HDPE, don't go there.

My set up:

20 gal kettle
Bayou Classic SP-10 Burner
Bag
Carboys

Pretty extensive.

I forgot to add the paint strainer bags. 5 gallon bags, doubled up, for mash, 1 gallon for hop bags.

When I started, I had little money. 90% of the stuff I found/made from rifling threw my garage and work shop. I work in HVAC so copper was the easiest. 80 foot immersion chiller for free? ya buddy!
I think I payed around $50 for my all grain set up. And that included all the little stuff, like capper, starsan, cane, and the like.
Back then, brews were cheap. Now, it has become an obsession. Got around a grand into my e-herms :cross:

Back