Loral Hops (HBC 291)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armenianbrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone come across or ever used these hops? Article for the new hop https://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/loral-hops-make-their-debut

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/hopsloral2-2015crop.htm Description from their product page:
--Origin: USA
--Aroma: Mango, citrus, lemon, pine. blueberry
--Alpha Acid: 11.5-13.5%
--Typical Usage: Source claim this hop is a triple threat: Bittering, Flavor, and Aroma. It might be interesting to brew a single hop beer with these. I think I would use these as flavor/aroma addition along with some Magnum hops for the bittering.
--Beer Styles: So far – IPA, APA, and American wheat ales

https://ychhops.com/varieties/hbc-291 And from their product page with brewing values:

AROMA PROFILE: FLORAL, CITRUS, FRUITY, HERBAL

Developed by Hop Breeding Company and released in 2016, Loral™ HBC 291 has a noble heritage that straddles the fence between old and new world hop aromatics. It has the ability to complement all beer styles, making it a very versatile hop in the brewery. Loral™ has been described as pleasant with floral, citrus, peppery and some dark fruit characteristics.

Aroma: Very pleasant, floral, peppery, lemon-citrus and dark fruit.

A local brewery here in Pullman just wet hopped an IPA with these. It's not on tap yet but I'm pretty jacked to try it!

A local brewery here in Pullman just wet hopped an IPA with these. It's not on tap yet but I'm pretty jacked to try it!

Awesome!! Please come back with tasting notes haha! I really want to try it in some beers before I buy any online but I dont know anyone around me that might be using it in a recipe

Awesome!! Please come back with tasting notes haha! I really want to try it in some beers before I buy any online but I dont know anyone around me that might be using it in a recipe

Thought I'd come back and let you know that the Loral fresh hop IPA at the local brewery is probably my new favorite beer. I had it side-by-side with his other fresh hop beers (all using the same base recipe): Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe and the Loral blew the others away in it's unique characteristics. It's actually kinda hard to describe, I was getting a lemon zest and pepper along with some dank floral notes. It's an instant classic, IMO.

Flying Dog has a single hop series that featured HBC-291. Here's the link to the beer's information which includes the malts used. They used it in an Imperial IPA which was delicious. I wish I had picked up more! I do remember it having distinct floral notes and was very balanced. I'm looking to pick up some from my LHBS to try in an IPA.

I just ordered 4oz and I'm thinking about trying it in a pale ale, I'll post results once I get around to brewing the beer.

Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone! Good to hear that it sounds like we have another promising new hop to toy around with

I had loral in two beers while visiting Seattle and it instantly became my new favorite. It has an unmistakable floral and fruit flavor that comes up as "pastel yellow and blue" in my head. It's wonderful and I'm bummed that I bought 4 oz of Caliente instead when both were released. Which, by the way, I have yet to taste

I had loral in two beers while visiting Seattle and it instantly became my new favorite. It has an unmistakable floral and fruit flavor that comes up as "pastel yellow and blue" in my head. It's wonderful and I'm bummed that I bought 4 oz of Caliente instead when both were released. Which, by the way, I have yet to taste
Sounds like I'll have to come up wtih a way to find a commercial example and then eventually create a recipe in the pipeline!

I tried the Stone single hop IPA featuring Loral hops, and did not like it. Tastes like soap to me.

Just kegged my SMaSH (Loral-HBC 291) German Pils. Flavor at kegging was very nice...citrus/floral/earthy with similar aromas. Seemed to be accurate to descriptors by the hop breeders and starts off with a hint of citrus before moving into more typical noble hop finish. Incredible flavor and entering this into a few competitions coming up. Not much info on this hop, or very many commercial beers using it. Picture is somewhat hazy since I just transferred it from fermenter. What's everybody else's experience? Will post update after it's carbed up...

Recipe
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) 100.0 %
1.00 oz Loral [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Loral [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Loral [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min 8.5 IBUs
1.40 oz Loral [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 8.7 IBUs
2.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70)

Mash Schedule: 151F for 60 min
*Whirlpool hops @ 180F
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1488041877.166678.jpg

something with a basic, light malt bill. no heavy crystal. should look nearly like a pilsner. expect fruit, tropical and flowers. I enjoyed the ever loving hell out of one at Cloudburst in Seattle. this is what I heard when I asked them how to make theirs

90% 2row and 10% Munich malt to start w an OG of 14 Plato. And I would keep bitterness very low - like 20 total IBUs - with only adding a couple BUs at boil and obtaining the rest in you last additions. We used 60% Loral hops and 40% Citra hops all the way through.

Makes sense. Next I'll have to try something with a tad more malt character from a bit of Munich/Vienna and throw some Citra in. Appreciate the insight!

I brewed a NE Style IPA and single hopped it with Loral. Base recipe was Braufessor's NE Style IPA.

I subbed in loral in the following locations:
3oz FO
3oz Whirlpool for 30min
3oz Dryhop for 6days
3oz Dryhop for 3days

Fermented with 1272.

It was solid beer, but had a chalky bitterness on the end. I think to much Columbus at 60. It had a huge floral aroma and decent flavor (lemon lime-ish) with some lingering stone fruit.

I sent a growler to a brewer friend of mine down in Cincinnati (at Streetside) and he loved the aroma but claimed it needed more flavor. His notes were huge juniper berries and "almost gin like"

We both determined it needs a supporting hop. Citra would be good. I think blending it with some el dorado would be a cool combination.

Stone is doing a single hop revolving IPA, the first one is out now and its Loral. More floral than anything but still pretty good

20170224_172747.jpg

Just crashed, kegged and carbed a batch of this using almost entirely loral hops.

8lbs 2-row
8oz carapils
8oz vienna
8oz flaked wheat
4oz crystal 20L
153F for 80min

.25 ahtanum @ 30m
.4oz loral @ 20
.4oz loral @ 10
.4oz loral @ 5
.8oz loral @ 0
1oz loral @ 175 (whirlpool for 30 min)
dry hopped with 3oz loral and .75oz ahtanum (50/50 day 4 and day 6 of fermentation)

Yeast- Wyeast 1318 @68 raised to 70*F
1.042-1.010

I've never tried Loral hops before. This is a perfect display of its flowery, citrusy, soapy flavor/aroma and the bitterness is on point. Its a great, clean tasting hop which I think would be better suited in lighter beers or as a supporting actor to clean up some more punchy hops.

Update to my SMaSH Pils above. Blind tasters have absolutely loved this beer. But...entered it in NHC regionals and was dinged (fully expected) for not being close enough to style. One thing in common was soapiness/suntan lotion in the aroma/flavor. I didn't pick that up, but figured I'd at least let everyone know. Still delicious in my eyes, but not going to do well as a traditional German Pils in a BJCP competition.

Update to my SMaSH Pils above. Blind tasters have absolutely loved this beer. But...entered it in NHC regionals and was dinged (fully expected) for not being close enough to style. One thing in common was soapiness/suntan lotion in the aroma/flavor. I didn't pick that up, but figured I'd at least let everyone know. Still delicious in my eyes, but not going to do well as a traditional German Pils in a BJCP competition.

I got the soapyness from the stone loral ipa. Wasnt bad, but clearly present.

Good to know. The judge thought the soapiness was from lipids and too much trub. Don't think a bit of trub really changes beer that much, but seems to confirm that it is indeed the hops. Maybe what comes off as floral to me, comes off as soapy to others. Or my palate is not refined, probably the latter.

Good to know. The judge thought the soapiness was from lipids and too much trub. Don't think a bit of trub really changes beer that much, but seems to confirm that it is indeed the hops. Maybe what comes off as floral to me, comes off as soapy to others. Or my palate is not refined, probably the latter.

I wouldn't blame your palate. Floral is certainly a flavor predominate with loral (or so i believe). Combine it with something fruity, melon or piney and it should be sublime

Is Loral like Cilantro? Some people hate it because they think it just tastes soapy while other people love it because they think it tastes fresh and tangy?

I just started lagering my Loral Pils. I really liked it going into the fridge so we'll see it fully in a few weeks.

After a month in the keg, the soap flavor my predominantly loral hopped blonde(?) from the previous page has certainly calmed down. That being said, it is a particularly soapy hop. To me, it's more of a flowery-citrus oil(lemon?) based soap taste than a cilantro like soap.

After a month in the keg, the soap flavor my predominantly loral hopped blonde(?) from the previous page has certainly calmed down. That being said, it is a particularly soapy hop. To me, it's more of a flowery-citrus oil(lemon?) based soap taste than a cilantro like soap.

I've had a few different loral beers and they all gave off a floral/lemon-pepper vibe to me. No soap on my palate.

I'm going to jump in on this thread and say that I brewed an APA using Brulosphy's hop schedule with just Loral, and Yooper's base recipe for an IPA. This is bubbling away right now, but I will follow up with pictures and tasting notes if anyone is interested. The airlock smalls great!

Awesome, can't wait to hear about it. I re-brewed my all Loral Pils and it won it's category for Mixed Style Beer at a recent competition. Love this hop.

Now I want to figure out good hop combos for it...

Awesome, can't wait to hear about it. I re-brewed my all Loral Pils and it won it's category for Mixed Style Beer at a recent competition. Love this hop.

Now I want to figure out good hop combos for it...

Loral + Citra is out of this world. I do a red rye IPA with that combo and the keg is gone in about a week. I have friends beating down my door to fill growlers.

Bumping this one. Bought a SMASH kit with pale and Loral. After reading this thread, I was planing to go Loral + Citra. But then I realized that I got a lot of Eukanot/Equinox laying around, which I've been waiting to play with. So, any thoughts on how the'd play together? Wold Equinox dominate Loral in a 1:1?

I'd stick with Loral/Citra. Personally have used Ekuanot a few times and enjoy it, but it's pretty pungent. Loral is more delicate and think it'd be lost.

Bumping this one. Bought a SMASH kit with pale and Loral. After reading this thread, I was planing to go Loral + Citra. But then I realized that I got a lot of Eukanot/Equinox laying around, which I've been waiting to play with. So, any thoughts on how the'd play together? Wold Equinox dominate Loral in a 1:1?

I've had much better experience with the combination of Loral and Amarillo. But that may be because I'm just not a huge fan of Citra in every beer as everything starts to just taste the same.

However Loral and Amarillo is hugely fragrant in its aroma (lots of orange and rose, almost perfumy in a good way)

Loral and Amarillo sounds very interesting. Regarding pungent, I kinda thought Citra was about as pungent as Equinox?

To me it's very resinous like Chinook but more fruity. Citra doesn't have the resin and is almost sweet and fruity. YMMV, but if you're wanting to experience Loral with Ekuanot, I don't know that you'll taste it.

Is Loral like Cilantro? Some people hate it because they think it just tastes soapy while other people love it because they think it tastes fresh and tangy?

I just started lagering my Loral Pils. I really liked it going into the fridge so we'll see it fully in a few weeks.

I was totally thinking about Cilantro while reading through this thread!

I've had a few Loral-forward beers, including a NEIPA & a Farmhouse, & I've never picked up any soap. I wonder if this is one of those things that's just up to biological idiosyncrasies, like how some people just can't taste diacetyl. Or the cilantro thing.

I've not seen any direct connection, but there are striking similarities between the cilantro/coriander tasting of soap thing that 10-15% of the population have (which is partly genetic - Google the gene OR6A2) and the way some people taste some hops as soapy - Centennial is the main one. It makes sense, as soap, coriander and some hops all have lots of terpenols like geraniol and linalool - tasting notes of floral and citrus in Loral makes me think of geraniol and its derivative citronellol.

So yep, I'd assume the soapy thing is a taste equivalent of colour blindness in some people.

I've had much better experience with the combination of Loral and Amarillo. But that may be because I'm just not a huge fan of Citra in every beer as everything starts to just taste the same.

However Loral and Amarillo is hugely fragrant in its aroma (lots of orange and rose, almost perfumy in a good way)

What would you guys think about a Loral & Calypso combo? Maybe 2:1, heavy on the Loral?

I've got a bunch of hops lying around, & while I like the idea of doing Citra & Loral, or Amarillo & Loral, I don't have more than a 1/2 oz of either right now...

Here's a nice description of Calypso, if you're not familiar: "Calypso features crisp, fruity aromas and flavors that exhibit elements of apple, pear and stone fruit brightened with hints of lime citrus. It is marvelously complex with an almost understated earthy, tea-like note." -Hopslist.com

I haven't gotten Calypso to ever pop for me, and Loral is pretty subtle. So unless I'm just Calypso ignorant, it could either live or die based on the fact that it'll probably be pretty low key

Just kicked a keg of Loral Pale Ale. My Standard Pale Ale based off RR R2H56. Also made the original simcoe version at the same time. At the end I was pouring 1/2 loral and 1/2 simcoe. Worked well together.

I haven't gotten Calypso to ever pop for me, and Loral is pretty subtle. So unless I'm just Calypso ignorant, it could either live or die based on the fact that it'll probably be pretty low key

I'm with you on Calypso. I thought it had a chance to be a cheaper Mosaic, but it was definitely not.

Back