Dark Mild March Brown Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1028: London Ale
Yeast Starter
1L for 3338
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
18 IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 65°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
appropriate casking
Tasting Notes
Originally a challenge to produce a finished beer in 10 days grain to glass.
Originally a challenge to produce a finished beer in 10 days grain to glass, this has evolved into a house staple- sessionable at 3.5% and just exquisite when served at cellar temps on cask (my newest project!) or draught to a very light 1-1.5 volumes.

[size=+2]March Brown Mild[/size]
[size=+1]11-A Mild[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/3/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 71%
Calories: 118.72 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.036 (1.030 - 1.038)
|===================#============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.008 - 1.013)
|===============#================|
Color: 19.35 (12.0 - 25.0)
|=================#==============|
Alcohol: 3.31% (2.8% - 4.5%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 16.0 (10.0 - 25.0)
|==============#=================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
104.0 oz Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
8.0 oz British Dark Crystal
5.0 oz Extra Dark Crystal
3.5 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
2.0 oz British Black Patent
10 g Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 4.0 gal; Strike: 166.08 °F; Target: 158.0 °F
00:43:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 40 min; Final: 156.4 °F
01:13:00 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #1: 2.29 gal sparge @ 175 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.29 gal sparge @ 175 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.86 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

Carbonate to 1-1.5 volumes to approximate the levels achieved under 'real ale' conditions (use a carbonation chart!); my most recent batch will be racked to 5L mini-kegs and served on a cobbled-together beer engine.

Is this the same from the 10'der and mild?

I will vouch this is a really nice brew. Very enjoyable mild.

How are you getting it to finish that dry if your mashing at 158? I've been having a hell of a time getting my beers to dry out that much.

How are you getting it to finish that dry if your mashing at 158? I've been having a hell of a time getting my beers to dry out that much.

Pitching an appropriate amount of healthy yeast, proper aeration and the low-gravity of this style helps tremendously. :D

fly... does beer tools pro allow you to export the xml version of this recipe? i would like to try it out and don't want to type it all into my brewblog ;)

thanks!

IMG_5967.JPG

could i use notty as the yeast for this beer and have it come out close to what you've masterfully created?

could i use notty as the yeast for this beer and have it come out close to what you've masterfully created?

I fear Notty will ferment this down far too dry; if I were pressed to use a dry yeast, I'd opt for US-04 or (gasp! ;)) Windsor.

fly ---
what size recipe is this for? at one place it says 5 gallons and at another it says 6. Given how much water you use (7.87 gallons) lends me to think it's for a 6 since it's only a 60 minute boil, but i just want to make sure.

fly ---
what size recipe is this for? at one place it says 5 gallons and at another it says 6. Given how much water you use (7.87 gallons) lends me to think it's for a 6 since it's only a 60 minute boil, but i just want to make sure.

Hey Donner,

Sorry for the confusion here. For my system, I aim for 8 gallons preboil with 6 gallons chilled. I assume a loss of .5 gallons to the kettle and another .5 gallons to the trub. Gives me a total of 5 gallons of finished product.

Good luck!
Jason

thanks. No big confusion. I just want to make sure i understand since this will be my second solo all grain.

okay, last question, i swear. Am i going crazy or did you switch the hops for this? I would swear it was EKG a few days ago.

EDIT- i also just noticed you changed the amount of pale malt from 5.5 to 6.5 lbs. Was this because of the volume change from 5 to 6 gallons or for another reason?

I am just curious because i ordered my grains at 5.5 lbs of pale malt and want to make sure i am not going to come up too short.

So as not to keep cluttering up the post of what is a great recipe, i'll add my thoughts on to this post.

I don't know what happened. I ordered the 5.5lbs as i said above and with a 60 minute boil i almost boiled off too much wort. I had to add .5 gallon at the 20 minutes remaining mark so that i wouldn't finish with under 5.5 gallons. I think a 75 minute boil would have killed me, but i can see if i had run as much water as you use through i'd probably have had to boiled that long.

I also used some of my galena as the recipe now suggests and i think it will turn out great. I have no doubt in my mind that if the beer comes out tasting bad it has everything to do with me and my inexperience and nothing to do with this fine recipe. Thanks again for all your help.

Just moved this to the keg after 14 days in primary. Beer is very clear and tastes good, though mine is pretty roasty. I suspect this is because i used 1 lbs of pale malt less than the recipe now says to use. I don't mind, but it is more noticeable than i thought it would be.

All in all a very good beer. I can't wait for it to carb. Thanks flyangler

Quick question about this recipe. I am making this tomorrow and my grain bill is similar with only 6 lbs MO and a little less 120 and chocolate. I have a package of Windsor I was hesitant to use due to what I have read her, but some of your comments have made me want to try it out on this style. Since it is a low attenuator, do I need to mash a little lower than 158 to get my FG where it needs to be or should I just aerate well and let her rip after a 158 mash?

I think Windsor is a fine choice for this beer without any changes to the mash schedule. Aerate well and pitch!

Brew on!

I was very sad when my keg of this kicked a few weeks ago. I was pouring into a growler to take to a party when it died. A fantastic recipe.

Curious if anyone can help me out. I brewed this up 2 weeks ago and just kegged this morning. Only two changes to the original recipe. I used US-05 and my Galena hops were 10.10%AA.

First issue was it only got down to 1.014 from 1.036. Held it at a pretty steady 65-66 degrees the entire two weeks. The sample was quite roasty and overly bitter. Any thoughts on that?

Hmm, US-05 should have mowed through the available sugars without any issue, even with the higher mash temp. As far as the bitterness, I wonder if clean fermenting nature of US-05 is tricking your palate with this recipe. There's a dry roasty finish with this formulation, so I'd not consider that a 'problem', though.

Yeah, didn't really consider the roasty aspect a "problem" and maybe it was the bitterness that just accented that character a little more. The bitterness really has me stumped though. Smelled and looked great. I'll have to try this again with your recommend yeast to see if that was the issue.

I'll admit, I'm a bit puzzled by this as well.

The neutral yeast character is the only thing I can think of, but who knows. 1968 is also an awesome choice for this recipe.

I think I figured it out. I was messing around with water chem on this one and was trying to raise the bicarbonate levels...stupid me only used Baking Soda and should have cut that with some chalk to balance it out. That's going to be my guess and the harshness I'm getting on this one. Bummer....

I think I figured it out. I was messing around with water chem on this one and was trying to raise the bicarbonate levels...stupid me only used Baking Soda and should have cut that with some chalk to balance it out. That's going to be my guess and the harshness I'm getting on this one. Bummer....

That makes perfect sense! :(

And since Milds are so low on IBUs by design, it definitely would make it seem way out of balance.

OK... so I'm an AG newb, doing BIAB. First AG was 52% efficiency. I've made some changes that should theoretically bump me up, but I have no idea how much.

So I'm thinking this would be a good brew to do to test my efficiency. I'll bump up the grains to assume efficiency of maybe 65%, which I'm sure I'll be able to hit (ok, I better hit that, or I'll be mad). So then if I end up with that efficiency, I'll end up with this beer, and be very happy. And if I end up getting higher efficiency, I'll get less of a session beer (4.5% ABV if I plan on 65% and get 80%), but I won't be accidentally end up with a 10% beer that will tie up my pipeline.

Sound good? Should I keep all the proportions the same on the grain, or should I keep the black patent, for example, at it's current state and bump up the others? If I do end up with a higher efficiency, what beer will I end up with? An Imperial Mild :)?

can't you just export or attach the file to his email with beer tools

BTW sounds like a good quaffing brew

Fantastic recipe. Quite possibly the best mild I've ever had. Brewed it up on "teach a friend to homebrew" day. OG: 1.038 FG: 1.015. Recipe by-the-book. Set up water to mimic London - Ca 52, Mg 32, Na 86, Cl 34, SO4 32, RA 29. Used carb tabs to get a nice low to-style carbonation.

beer69.jpg

This mild looks great. Did anyone substitute anything (including regular chocolate malt) for the pale chocolate? I don't have any on hand (never heard of it before) and want to brew today...

This mild looks great. Did anyone substitute anything (including regular chocolate malt) for the pale chocolate? I don't have any on hand (never heard of it before) and want to brew today...

Regular chocolate malt will bring a slightly stronger roast character to this beer compared to the pale. I prefer the pale because it lends a nuttiness in balance to the roast.

The choice is up to you!

Regular chocolate malt will bring a slightly stronger roast character to this beer compared to the pale. I prefer the pale because it lends a nuttiness in balance to the roast.

The choice is up to you!

Thanks... if using regular chocolate, would you recommend reducing the amount?

Latest posts

Back