American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that Nottingham yeast is crazy! I've never seen anything else ferment this vigorously. I'm impressed!

I brewed an IPA last night. Wish I had taken a hydro reading. Or maybe I did. I dont really remember it was fuzzy that time of the night

Edwort..... few questions as I am about to embark on this tonight:

Instead of:
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

I want to go:
0.5 oz Nugget 13.00% at 60
0.5 oz Centennial 10.00% at 30
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5

due to the fact of that's what I have on hand. Beertools still places this recipe 100% in the realm of an APA. Grain bill and yeast are staying the same because I am attracted to the fact that you can have this on tap in 10-14 days.

My brew partner says this:

One thing I wonder about is the short conditioning period with multiple hops... with a single hop I would not be concerned, but I am wondering if additional conditioning time may be required in order for the hops to properly "blend" together.... I have no idea, and I am not even sure if that makes sense - but it is something to consider?

Anyone have any ideas about this? I wonder about it because Ed's recipe does in fact use one hop. I have never read anything about this, or had this concern before.

I have no problem aging this longer if it is a factor, I am patient. Sort of!

:mug:

It probably will make a nice beer, but it will have a different hop character than mine which goes against one of the reasons for my recipe, ie: appeal to a broad audience.

Give it a whirl as I'm sure it will turn out well.

It probably will make a nice beer, but it will have a different hop character than mine which goes against one of the reasons for my recipe, ie: appeal to a broad audience.

Give it a whirl as I'm sure it will turn out well.

Gotcha.... Cascades sure do appeal to me, but I only have an ounce at the moment. That could change in an hour at the LHBS, although I need to start using the Nuggets and Centennials...

I guess I'm more concerned about appealing to "me" at the moment. Thanks!

Then use the ounce, and use 1/2 oz of Centennial for the 60 minute addition. It should be pretty close then.

I'm in the same boat, I have an ounce of cascade and an oounce of centennial.

So you're saying to change from this:
Boil & Hops

To this:
Boil & Hops
0.5 oz Centennial 6.6% at 60 min.

I'm in the same boat, I have an ounce of cascade and an oounce of centennial.

So you're saying to change from this:
Boil & Hops

To this:
Boil & Hops
0.5 oz Centennial 6.6% at 60 min.

Yep, but your Centennial will be anywhere from 9 to 13% AA.

Mine are 9.1%.

When you get a chance could you check out a question I posted under your bavarian wheat thread?

OK, last newbie paranoid first time AG question, will my 5 gallon water cooler be large enough for this? I have a much larger rectangular cooler I could use if necessary.

Ughhh.... Just got back from LHBS. No Nottingham, only Windsor. I bought it.

I have Windsor in my possession now and also light blue Safale. The Windsor info sheet says "great for pale ales"...

Thoughts?

You need the Pink Safale-05. The English yeast will yield a fruiter beer and that again changes the character of the beer. It will not be BCB Haus Pale if you use Windsor or Safale-04.

Then, I guess it's DD Pale Ale... My LHBS has very limited hours (10-5, Wed. & Sat.) so I'm locked out.

Thanks for your input though, and I'll let you know how this variation turns out!

(Sorry, must have been frustrating for me to come in here asking about your recipe, then change most of it. You must feel like Alan Moore, lol...)

I am so bummed today. I decided I was going to do my first AG last night. I was so excited when UPS finally delivered my ingredients from AHS, it took 10 days because I ordered the monday morning after the sale. I dug out all of my equipment and set it up in my garage. I tore into the box like it was christmas, it's really cool seeing all those bags of grain for the first time. I started two piles, one for the pale ale and one for the bavarian wheat. I get all done and somethings missing! I dug thru the peanuts and I couldn't find the safale US-05 yeast! I looked at the order sheet and the yeast is highlighted and says, "temporarily out of stock, will ship seperate". I felt like somebody kicked me in the sack. It ruined my whole night. I planned to brew this last Friday and took a day off of work but the shipment didn't make it. Now I have to search locally for some yeast (locally means at least a 1 hour drive) and the only time I have to do this is Sunday morning. This sucks.....

I am so bummed today. I decided I was going to do my first AG last night. I was so excited when UPS finally delivered my ingredients from AHS, it took 10 days because I ordered the monday morning after the sale. I dug out all of my equipment and set it up in my garage. I tore into the box like it was christmas, it's really cool seeing all those bags of grain for the first time. I started two piles, one for the pale ale and one for the bavarian wheat. I get all done and somethings missing! I dug thru the peanuts and I couldn't find the safale US-05 yeast! I looked at the order sheet and the yeast is highlighted and says, "temporarily out of stock, will ship seperate". I felt like somebody kicked me in the sack. It ruined my whole night. I planned to brew this last Friday and took a day off of work but the shipment didn't make it. Now I have to search locally for some yeast (locally means at least a 1 hour drive) and the only time I have to do this is Sunday morning. This sucks.....

I usually pick up a few of these and store them in my freezer at home. This also helps if you have to re-pitch.

AHS told me they shipped mine out on Tuesday so maybe I'll get it in the mail today. I think I will buy several more for emergencies like this.

Well, I used Windsor as well I think, since it's all my LHBS had, and it's also a lower abv than the recipe intends for. I also assume that the bitterness got toned down somewhere along the way. That being said...

Wow.

This is the beer that finally did it for me. That made me hold up a glass and say 'This is why I brew my own.' It may bear little to no resemblance to its actual BCB progenitor, I don't know, but it's a damn good beer (at least by my obviously biased standards :)). Even if it's not the BCB Haus Ale, you still were the cause of me brewing it, and so I have to say: Thanks, Ed :mug:

Well, I did a permutation of this beer over the weekend. Of course, realized soon that I didn't have much domestic 2-row, so I subbed in some continental Pils, and I couldn't bring myself to brew a pale ale with only a half-ounce total of late hop additions, so I doubled those. Oh, and I used Amarillo, since I love that hop more than life itself.

So, it was a Haus Pale Ale-inspired beer....

For a 5.5 gallon batch, I dough in with 3.5 gallons of water. At the end of the mash, I add 1.5 gallons of 180 degree water, stir, then vorlauf & drain to kettle. I then add another 3.5 gallons of 170 degree water, stir, wait ten minutes, stir, then vorlauf & drain again. You will end up with about 7 gallons in your kettle and after about an hour, you should finish with about 5.5 gallons of wort.

I think I'm going to give this a try as my first AG attempt!
I am little confused as to the exact process though.
I understand : dough in with 3.5 gallons of water. (mash one hour)
But do drain the 3.5 gallons before adding 1.5 gallons of 180 degree water, or this what's called a mash out? I am mashing in a 5 gallon cooler so with the grain and 5 gallons of water it won't fit. Also do I let this sit ten minutes, or immediatly begin vorlauf?
Can I dough in with the 3.5 gallons, vorlauf, drain wort, see how much water I need to get to 6.5 gallons, divide by two, and then do two more sparges with those amounts?
I was also going to get some dme just in case. I assume I would check my preboil gravity and add dme until I hit the #. How would I figure the expected preboil gravity?
Thanks for your help

. . . So, it was a Haus Pale Ale-inspired beer....
It's the EdWortian School of Brewing. Whatever I’m brewing, it always helps to check out EdWort’s recipe for the style. He has a way of stripping away all the frills and coming up with basic recipes that work great on there own or are easy to modify to match your supplies on hand or individual tastes.

I did a Kolsch yesterday that wasn’t EdWort exact recipe, but I couldn’t have done it without the inspiration from his Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch. The thing that always bothers me is thinking of how much am I screwing up a good thing.

Made the mini mash version of this Pale Ale. Came out great. Thanks for the recipe Ed.

rOBERTC010.jpg

I don't know how I managed to make it turn out this way, but: OG 1.034, FG 1.002. (Can Nottingham even do that?)

I'll do this one again all-grain when my burner gets here and see if I can do a little better job of it. :)

Anyway, I just bottled it and it tastes good (green but good!) so far.

hauspale.jpg

I'd like to take a step away from extract kits and try this recipe as my first all-grain. Do you guys have any online suppliers for ingredients? The closest shop is about a 2 hour drive and I'd love not having to make that this weekend =) (more time for brewing/drinking).

Thanks in advance.

www.austinhomebrew.com can hook you up very quickly.

You will need to order the following.

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L
2 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets
1 packet of Nottingham Dry yeast

Let me know if you cannot get Nottingham. It seems to be out of stock at many HBS.

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L

Let me know if you cannot get Nottingham. It seems to be out of stock at many HBS.

You nailed it. I'm struggling to find the Nottingham and the Vienna. :(

EDIT: I found the Nottingham =) and the Vienna. Thanks!

You nailed it. I'm struggling to find the Nottingham and the Vienna. :(

QUOTE]

I ended up using Safale 05. I'm going to crack open my first bottle tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Edit: I didn't see that you edited your post to say that you found Nottingham.

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L

When you say 8lbs 2-Row Pale Malt --- is this what I'm looking for?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=83{105}456{10}80{45}35{11}29

Thanks Ryan - you posted before I made the edit so all is well =)

I am experimenting a bit, and going with 9 lbd of 2 row, since my efficiency is pretty bad, and also using Thames Valley yeast from a starter..

I got all ingredients just last week from AHS

This was my second all grain beer and it is so good. I highly recommend making this beer. Great and easy!!

I brewed this for my first PM. Didn't have any 10L Crystal on hand, so I used Cara-Pils instead. Probably a little less sweet with that. It was great. Next time we'll follow the original to compare the results.
Ed, you da man!

Hey guys,

I tried my Hause pale Ale the other night. It was much better than I was expecting. I brewed it on 6/8/08, bottled it on 6/29/08,and I opened my first bottle 8/01/08.

Earlier I had posted that it had a strange "spicy, cinnamon like" flavor on the day I bottled it. That really had me worried because I had high fermentation temps. (Mid to upper 70s.) and I also had to substitute Muntons yeast. My LHBS was out of Nottingham.

So, after thinking my beer was gonna suck, it was pretty easy to let it sit and bottle condition for a month. Finally, on Friday night I opened a couple of bottles after work. They had only been in the fridge for a couple of days and they had hazed up a little. (They were clear as a bell before I put them in the fridge.) But, I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. The cinnamon flavor was pretty much gone. I'm thinking a couple more weeks in the bottle and it'll be even better.

Question: It's still a little "spicy". But I think that's the hops. Are Cascades spicy? I mean it almost burns the tongue like pepper. It's a little strong for my taste.

I'm also thinking that, since my Og was only 1.048 instead of 1.051, perhaps I didn't extract enough malt (sweet) to balance the bittering hops. Does that make sense?

I'm still learning... So thanks again for all your help. I'm just glad that it's drinkable. :mug:

I was kind of worried there for a while.

Thanks,

Kornbread

Do you guys think 5 days in the primary is OK? I'm fermenting in the mid 60's thanks to cool evenings. Gravity is at 1.018, so i will secondary for at least a week before bottling. I have the opportunity to brew today and not again until probably the weekend. Next batch is Orfy's 'Goblin clone. If not, i can always buy a second primary bucket :tank:

Do you guys think 5 days in the primary is OK? I'm fermenting in the mid 60's thanks to cool evenings. Gravity is at 1.018, so i will secondary for at least a week before bottling. I have the opportunity to brew today and not again until probably the weekend. Next batch is Orfy's 'Goblin clone. If not, i can always buy a second primary bucket

No, it's not done yet. Give it 10 days please. This WILL make a difference.

Back