Irish Red Ale Rolf's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 64F
This recipe was one of my favorites because I don't love the style, but this came out great. I will be brewing it every year now for St Paddy's day...

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 2/26/2008
Style: Irish Red Ale Brewer: Ben
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.47 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.25 lb Oats, Malted (8.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
1.00 oz Challenger [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Brown Sugar
1 Pkgs Nottingham

Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.67 %

Mash @ 155F 60 min

IMG_0622.jpg

Brewed this a few weeks ago and took to a party last weekend. HUGE hit. I brought 4 kegs with me and this one was by far the favorite.

This recipe sounds pretty tasty. I was intending on doing a Scottish ale for my next batch but may have to go this direction. Any ideas on how to bump this up into a Wee Heavy/Scottish parti-gyle?

This is a solid crowd pleasing beer man. It's got a great malty character.

Do you like the Nottingham in this or would you use something else next time? I've used Nottingham on several beers and it turns out alright, but not spectacular so I'm a little dubious. Still, it looks like a tasty recipe.

I liked the nottingham just fine. If i were to do it again I would prolly use ringwood, which is a wyeast strain.

There wasn't one bit of alchahol hottness with the notty tho. And with an OG of 1.068 that is saying something

I brewed this last week. Had to replace the Nottingham with WY1099 Whitbread, and used Perle instead of the Challenger. I'll drop back when I know how it turns out!

This recipe looks pretty interesting, made it monday night, I had to run out to the store to get meds for my wife and let the mash go 90 minutes, I love that it's a nice simple recipe! OG was 1.055 for 5.5gal. blowing off as we speak!

I figured I should post back, this beer finished out at 1.008 FG and was good enough to get me the ASH homebrew of the month for March! I used american 2 row and rolled oats, my challenger was 7.1%. your recipe will be in the ASH newsletter with due credit to you, thanks for this great recipe!

Great looking recipe Soulive, I plan on brewing it this weekend. One question, Beersmith has both light (8 SRM) and dark brown (50 SRM) sugar listed. Do you have a preference on what to use?

I just looked, last activity from him was in 2008, I used light brown sugar (well, what I assumed was light) there was brown sugar at the store, and dark brown sugar, I went with the plain brown sugar, the color of the beer was amazing, and the flavor was exceptional! I have since brewed this again, I duplicated my 90 min mash error and had the same tasting beer I had last time I made it. And once again, a real crowd pleaser at my place!

Thanks for the response azscoob. I referenced a book I had just to see how it was used simply because I have never added it in a recipe. Here is what was written...
Brown sugar: Brown sugar is derived from unrefined or partially refined
sugar (cane or beet), and flavored with molasses. It’s usually available in
light and dark brown choices. The darker brown the sugar, the more
residual flavor it leaves in the beer.
Also, did you find one pound to be too much? I searched it on this site only to find mixed results. One fella regarded his beer as "tar" when brown sugar was used.

That was one reason I used the lighter stuff, I found a nice molasses flavor, very slight, I think if I used the dark it may have come across as more of a burnt flavor. the beer finished pretty dry for me, and the molasses hint played well with the chocolate malt to give the beer a subtle nuance similar to what I have gotten in my Scottish ales where I collected the first gallon or so of the runoff and boiled it down to bring out some caramel richness in the finished beer.

Also, I havent felt the need to change the brown sugar quantity, it was quite nice the way it was..

Any time! let me know how it turns out for you, I need to put this one on the dry erase board as a future brew, and I will be brewing 10 gallons of this from now on.

I wll certainly report back. I have changed my brew date to Monday, my wife is giving me crap for wanting to brew on Christmas weekend. Not worth the battle.

Brewed this up today and up'd the Pale Malt/Maris Otter to 9lbs, everything else was as listed except I tried to get rid of some extra hops I've been keeping in the freezer from previous batches so I went with a total of 1.25oz. .66oz of Perle and .59oz Amarillo. Honestly I was really hesitant to be so lazy about the hops but I thought since they're both ~8.5 alpha units and they're all going towards bittering, I'd probably be ok. Thoughts?

I also was way off on my pre-boil volume. After sparging I thought I had about 6 to 6.25 gallons in the boil kettle. After chilling and draining into my fermenter, I had just over 3.5 gallons. At that point my O.G. was 1.080 so I ended up topping it with more sparge water up to 4.5 gallons where it hit an O.G. of 1.065.

The wort tasted great after cooling and I'm really looking forward to this one!
Cheers,
Ben

I have this in a keg right now, and it starts out very nice but ends really HOT. Not sure if this was caused by something in my process or something with the recipe. My wife loves it though, and she voted for this beer specifically to be a 'year round' brew.

I brewed this today with 9 #'s of the maris otter. OG measured at 1.062. The sweet wort tasted wonderful. I cant wait to taste when it is done. And may I mention my second all-grain batch went absolutly perfect:D

Ok I have now made both this Irish Red and the one from NB and hands down I think this is way way way better.

Moe :)

Bgrady34 said:
Ok I have now made both this Irish Red and the one from NB and hands down I think this is way way way better.

Moe :)

I brew this often. I have even tweaked it up to a 12% double red, hopped like an IIPA, with the backbone to support the ABV.

I raise this recipe from the dead!!!!

Haven't revisited this one recently but I'm teaching a few gents how to brew and have decided this was a perfect beer to achieve that end..

I hope somebody sees this recipe and gives it a try, delicious stuff!

I actually stumbled upon this recipe back in March and bought enough materials to make two batches. First batch is down to the last 8 bottles...brewing batch #2 this weekend!!

Back