Wild Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melana

Up to no good....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, earlier this season I went out behind where I work to harvest grape leaves and brought them home to brine for future use. Thanks to my helpful colleagues (they alerted me to the nice ripe grapes) I now have two shopping bags of grapes in my office to be a future jam. YAY for three hours of work in the kitchen. Wait, I think I have food issues.

Ready for washing

IMAG0357.jpg

Look pretty big for wild grapes. wild ones are rather small with a large pit. We had'em growing on the fence at the old house & I always made some good wine out of'em.

Does anyone make their own jams or jellies?

I make, or rather used to make, a lot of jam. To make either jam or jelly with grapes, I think you'll need a food mill. Not many grapes locally so it's not a fruit I've got experience with.

I don't make jam or jelly much any more (still on the "no sugar" lifestyle) but I used to make it alot. Grape jelly is supereasy- if you have a jellybag it makes life easier.

How do they taste? They look great!

(I still use a ton of grapes every year- but Bob says things go to "the highest and best use", which for us is wine!)

I actually have a food mill and I love it.
I'm stockpiling small jars of jam for winter holiday gifts... Along with homemade vanilla extract.
The grapes taste awesome and smell so good. If I could have picked more I would have made wine.

I've never made it myself, but when I was a kid my mom would make juice and jelly every year from our vines. I only remember she used a food mill (I actually bought one to have on hand from a yard sale last year) and added a fair amount of sugar and some canning ingredient, maybe pectin??

I remember the juice was very mild tasting, and the jelly was actually very good!

I usually do raspberry and blueberry freezer jam, and since I have a bunch of apple trees in my yard I also make a lot of applesauce and apple wine

Melana said:
My yield was 16 cups of grapes which are simmering down on my stove....

Making jam? Run them through the mill to get the seeds out?

Has anyone had muscadine grapes? I just discovered them having moved down to Atlanta last year. I picked some on a walk today. They have a dark thick skin and several seeds. They are pretty good for a snack if you happen to find them.

Hmm looking nice, but never try them and don't know about their taste. where you got them, I like to eat them..I will try to find them in local market.

When I think of wild grapes I think of Muscadines, they make the absolute best wine and jelly ever!! I'm not big on sugar, but do love some nice grape jelly with my own southern cathead biscuit recipe.

estricklin said:
When I think of wild grapes I think of Muscadines, they make the absolute best wine and jelly ever!! I'm not big on sugar, but do love some nice grape jelly with my own southern cathead biscuit recipe.

Oh, biscuits!
Can you send the recipe please?

Oh, biscuits!
Can you send the recipe please?

Sure.

1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup of cake flour
A little less than 2 tablespoons of double acting baking powder (let's say 4 or 5 teaspoons)
1/8 - 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup of Buttermilk
Salt to taste
Black Pepper
2 tbsp lard
2 tbsp butter

Usually I weigh my flour but in this case it usually works out perfect if I use volume, still keep in mind you may need to add more liquid or flour to adjust at the end.

Preheat your oven to 450F. Sift both flours into a large mixing bowl, add the baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper, then mix together well. Next add the cold lard and butter and work them into the flour by hand, until it's crumbly. Don't over work the dough! After the cold fats are incorporated, add the buttermilk and stir until it just comes together. Again, don't over work the dough! This mixture should be wet and sticky, difficult to work with. Dust the top of it with flour and dump it onto a work surface. Lightly flour your hands and put a little on the side of the dough facing up. Roll the dough to your desired thickness, for me it depends on what I'm going to be using the biscuits for but generally about 1/2 inch. Use a cutter, coffee cup or whatever you want to cut them out, placing them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until the outside is nice and brown, I usually check the bottoms to see when they are done, I like the bottoms to be a darker brown. I think it usually takes about 12 minutes but don't hold me to that.

I've made this recipe hundreds of times and I never get tired of it. You can swap out the buttermilk for a beer of your choice, just add a bit more butter or lard to make up for the loss of fat from the buttermilk. Same goes for regular milk. You can substitute the lard for bacon grease also.

Here's my mother's biscuit recipe I modded to use some spent grain flour.
1C spent grain flour
3C regular flour
1tsp salt
4tsp baking powder
about 1/2 cup tub margarine
butter milk,about 2C
Pre-heat oven to 500F. Mix dry ingredients together. I use a pastry cutter to mix in the margarine. Then just enough buttermilk to make a soft,sticky dough. Turn out onto floured surface,sprinkle with flour & kneed lightly. Roll out to about 1/2" thick & cut to desired size. Place in biscuit pan & bake 12-15 minutes. They come out kinda like rye biscuits. Great with gravy.

Back