Playing "Chopped" at home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't watch much TV, but recently came across a TV show on the Food Network called "Chopped", where you get four ingredients and have to prepare a meal.

I don't ever go grocery shopping, and I am not the day-to-day cook in our family. I usually don't even know what we have on hand, except that I know we get a lamb, grass-fed beef 1/2, venison, and chickens every year.

Recently, Bob offered to let me cook a meal and said something like, "I have a lemon, some fresh ginger, chicken, and broccoli". So I came up with a dish that was really great, adding some pantry items.

We do this all the time.

Today, he presented me with this:
Pork Chops
two avocados
Fresh basil

I was thinking of making a marinade with lime juice, garlic, habaneros (from the freezer), and cumin and grilling the chops as "Mexican pork chops", and making an avocado salsa to top it, and serve with spicy rice.

Only caveats- no grains except for the rice. No flour, etc.

Can anybody do better with an idea?

I'd love to hear it!

Wife says...

Grilled pork chops seasoned with a basic salt, pepper, garlic mix, with a basil pesto to top at serving.

A basic risotto with the rice, jalapeño wine works great for a little extra spice.

And a tomato/avocado salad.

Basil/avocado pesto sauce for grilled chops would be nice...

Add spices you'd normally put in guac or salsa for a Mexican pesto.

All great ideas.

I ended up doing something totally different, and will save the avocado for tomorrow.

I am making dae ji bool gogi ( http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Korean...i-Bool-Gogi/Detail.aspx?soid=recs_recipe_seed) with basil stir fried rice. :D

I just had such a hankering for something pungent and spicy and I couldn't figure out a way to make the avocado with this.

Apparently, if I was on the TV show, I'd be "chopped"!

SWMBO enjoys that show immensely and her creativity in the kitchen has blossomed (much akin to what you are describing).

She concurs with the Mexican pork chops with perhaps an avocado/basil puree and a spicy rice.

If you had access to flour tortillas, I would say Mexican pork taco

SWMBO enjoys that show immensely and her creativity in the kitchen has blossomed (much akin to what you are describing).

She concurs with the Mexican pork chops with perhaps an avocado/basil puree and a spicy rice.

If you had access to flour tortillas, I would say Mexican pork taco

Thanks for the post- it does sound good. (I decided on something else, see above).

The only issue with Mexican is that I don't eat grains except in rare cases, but will occasionally have rice. I don't normally eat tortillas and things, as a rule.

Thanks for the post- it does sound good. (I decided on something else, see above).

The only issue with Mexican is that I don't eat grains except in rare cases, but will occasionally have rice. I don't normally eat tortillas and things, as a rule.

oh... I thought that the caveat was because you did not have them available.

in that case, ignore the goofy guy who tried to mess with your dietary input.:eek:

You've got the beginnings of a great poc-chuk!
Here is a recipe!
Ingredients
Original recipe makes 16

ServingsResize
2 pounds Pork steaks; approximately 1/4 inch thick
MARINADE
32 oz Orange juice
1 c Lime juice
3 oz Achiote paste
4 ts Kosher salt
2 ts Dried Oregano
2 ts Dried thyme
2 ts Black pepper
PICKLED RED ONIONS
6 medium Red onions; thinly sliced
1 bunch Cilantro; chopped
6 large Carrots; Cut into peels
1/2 medium Habanero chile; roasted, seeded & diced
12 oz Cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Splenda; if desired
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cracked black pepper
Grilled Pork Steak Yucatan Style (poc-chuk) Preparation
MARINADE: Blend all marinade ingredients in blender or food processor. Marinate pork at least 3 hours. Overnight is fine

PICKLED RED ONIONS: Bring 4-6 cups of water to boil in deep saucepan. Add onions and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and place in stainless steel bowl. Blanch carrot strips in same manner. Toss with vinegar, cilantro, chile, Splenda, salt and pepper. Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes (1 hour is better).

PORK: Cut marinated pork steaks into strips app 1-2 inches wide. Grill over charcoal until partly crisp. .

Serving Suggestions:

Serve with pickled red onions. Present with Yellow rice or mashed sweet potato. Garnish with chile peppers and cilantro.

Adapted from recipe by: Chef Dudley Nieto/Chapulin/Chicago, IL

You can get thinly sliced pork steak at a Mexican meat market. Ask for "Milinesa de Cerdo" or tell them you are making Poc-Chuk.

Alert an editor I've made
Notes
This is some GOOD STUFF! I served it alongside chunky mashed sweet potatoes with pineapple and bannana. A cold beer was e welcome accompanimen.

oh... I thought that the caveat was because you did not have them available.

in that case, ignore the goofy guy who tried to mess with your dietary input.:eek:

Haha, no problem! I can eat that stuff- I just chose not to.

You can get thinly sliced pork steak at a Mexican meat market. Ask for "Milinesa de Cerdo" or tell them you are making Poc-Chuk.

I am going to try that soon! I did LOL at asking at a Mexican market. I think the nearest Mexican market might be in Milwaukee, a 5 hour drive, so I don't think that would be an option for me right now.

In another 10 days, we'll be heading south for our winter quarters and there are plenty of Mexican markets there- so I'll try it then. Thanks for the recipe- we're excited to try it once we can get settle in South Texas.

So now to the avocado.

Well, for a nice appetizer. Cube the avocado and some sushi grade salmon. Mix with a little soy sauce, lime juice, honey and sesame oil. Serve with rice crackers or melba toast.

Or dessert if you have an ice cream maker:

puree the avocado with a little lemon juice. Add sugar and milk/half and half and a little vanilla. Chill and cream. The avocado is an excellent emulsifier, similar to a banana, and makes very creamy ice cream without the need for heavy cream or eggs.

The breakfast idea above sounds good too

You could do cabbage wrap burritos!

I'm not gonna comment on what to make since you are all done with that "challenge", my wife and I love that show! We also enjoy Cutthroat Kitchen and I enjoy restaurant impossible.

We have talked about doing "Chopped" at our house also. It's fun to get creative with what you have.

Back