Single Tier Brew Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
I'm sure I am the 10,000th person to start a thread about this, but I wanted to share my build with everyone. I had a basic design in my head, and my brothers, who do fabrication like this frequently, helped me nail down the design. My uncle did some of my welding and my brother did most of it.

My brother and I were cleaning some scrap wood and steel out from my parent's farm. We came upon a rusty old frame that held roll-out drawers. I instantly pictured a brew stand, and we started cleaning up the rust and planning. That night I ordered a Chugger pump and 2 Bayou Classic BG14 burners.
tkK8Rxjh.jpg

After tinkering with other ideas, I decided hanging flat steel bar off pieces at 45 degrees would be the best way to suspend the burners.

My brother came up with the idea to build the frame out of steel angle stock. This way the burners can be quickly removed if I want to take the brew stand to a buddy's house, or up and down stairs without worrying about the cast iron burners getting banged around. It will also disperse the weight of the HLT and boil kettle across the whole piece of angle.
z1ezCMEh.jpg

9PzCJs2h.jpg

JWW41Z4h.jpg

The burner frames are painted with black barbecue grill paint. This stuff is a very flat black, I'm thinking of going over it with some glossier black barbecue grill paint.
oKKBNcqh.jpg

yfYn4RTh.jpg

We welded in some uprights, some flat bar across the bottom to support a plywood shelf, and welded on some casters.
jGEJc57h.jpg

The stand is painted "Old Ford Blue".
2jA5qd0h.jpg

CNzn0x4h.jpg

Painted the mounting brackets for the propane plumbing.
iDzZBahh.jpg

My sister thought I was crazy for staining and sealing plywood, but this is for the shelf that goes underneath.
9z5WbLvh.jpg

VV9vJ0Rh.jpg

Putting up a parts/cost list for the most part would be impossible, because the majority of this stuff was scrounged from my parent's house. The only stuff I have purchased is the burners, pump, some propane hose, a few fittings, and ball valves.

I did the welding and cutting on Friday night/Saturday morning, and did the painting that's done so far from Sunday to today. I will be spraying on clear coat on Friday, I will add more pictures as I make progress.

The build is complete. Hopefully I can post some better pictures soon. I live in an apartment so it's currently parked at a friend's house. Now I just need to convince him he has time to brew.

These pictures are from me testing out the propane plumbing. The piping is now mounted to the frame.

EaNCcnN.jpg

kBuqZYT.jpg

Fordzilla,
Nice Build.

I have a question on the Banjo burners, What is the measurement across the burner mounting flat to mounting flat?

I have a 10" diameter old turkey fryer and was thinking of upgrading the burner.
I know they say it is a 10" diameter burner but before I buy one, I wanted to ask somebody with a BG14 the flat to flat measurement to see if it will fit inside my old fryers burner tube.

Thanks,
John

smooth said:
Fordzilla, Nice Build. I have a question on the Banjo burners, What is the measurement across the burner mounting flat to mounting flat? I have a 10" diameter old turkey fryer and was thinking of upgrading the burner. I know they say it is a 10" diameter burner but before I buy one, I wanted to ask somebody with a BG14 the flat to flat measurement to see if it will fit inside my old fryers burner tube. Thanks, John

Flat to flat is 11" there 10" diameter. It seems like the bolt holes aren't centered so you may want to mark and drill each individual bolt hole for each burner.

Back